West Indies Tour of New Zealand November/December 2013

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Rain has hurted McGlan... he is stranded on 43 wicket now, need 7 in last match for fastest to 50.

Yeah, even second will be quite an achievement though considering his wickets have been against a much higher standard of opposition than Mendis' were, who took almost half of his wickets against Zimbabwe and the UAE.

ferg512

International Coach
This is pretty concerning stuff, if the Windies are doing this to us just imagine what India is capable of. A bit unsure about McClenaghan really, I'm a fan of his but he just doesn't offer any control whatsoever. Surely Boult needs to be considered soon, because he'll have to play in the world cup won't he?

----------

Well played to the Windies batsman though, especially Edwards.

Shahbaz63

School Cricketer
Its early shine for McG, the real test lies ahead against India, Australia & South Africa, and in overseas tour...

Today West Indies came as a new team... :lol

ferg512

International Coach
I guess things will never change with them, whenever you get your hopes up they bring them crashing down. Ronchi simply has to go now, I mean you may as well throw in any domestic keeper and they could probably do a better job and they wouldn't be a washed up aussie either.

----------

Happy to see Russell back as well, bowling a really good spell of short stuff.

War

Chairman of Selectors
This is pretty concerning stuff, if the Windies are doing this to us just imagine what India is capable of. A bit unsure about McClenaghan really, I'm a fan of his but he just doesn't offer any control whatsoever. Surely Boult needs to be considered soon, because he'll have to play in the world cup won't he?

----------

Well played to the Windies batsman though, especially Edwards.

You could look at it in allot of ways i'd say.

Yea sure you might worry that basically some 2nd string windies players made a score of 360 vs what is basically your 1st choice team.

But it also highlights that despite Windies playing some awful cricket in the last 3 months - them managing to post such a total and draw this series, shows that realistically they are pretty much on par with NZ & are a still a very talented squad.

Like Pakistan, you just don't know what you will get from the West Indies in games these days. Either brilliant or awful - no middle ground.

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
West Indies might not be a goldmine of talented cricketers but we certainly some of really potential limited overs players out there. It is only a matter of giving them ample chances which they have been deprived of. We would need to do something better at the grass level for the test team though. Heck even our FC competition is not that regular. I wonder if the selectors' sleep will be broken only after Chanders had call it a day. I hope that is not the case. We don't want WI to be place that lacks a really inspiring personality in cricket in the recent past because then it will be way more difficult to draw kids into professional cricket and even more tough to find a bright star out of the domestic pool.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors

From what I understand he's pretty much been told to go out there and take wickets, so days like that are going to happen to him every now and then, the more concerning thing imo is that everyone else went for over six an over as well.

I'd prefer Boult over Milne because I think Milne is just too raw, but I'm happy with the current first choice group. I guess we'll learn more during the Indian series.

Also McCullum made a few big mistakes, like why did Mills bowl 3rd change when he's been one of the best new ball ODI bowlers for the last decade, and why did Southee only bowl one of the last 10 overs when he's our best death bowler? Not to mention the toss.

Batting wise I don't think we can read too much into that performance, because 7.25 runs an over for 50 overs is just too much to get. I'm a fan of bowling first because it's easier to lose the game batting first than it is bowling first, but that was a case of our bowlers just completely letting us down.

War

Chairman of Selectors
The world has been aware of him for a while, but the day NZ get Milne bowling accurately to complement his pace - they have got a serious potential weapon across all formats.

Touching 150 mph & bowling at speeds comparable to Johnson in the recent Ashes.

ferg512

International Coach
I know its always going to happen with someone that quick but I just wish there wasn't really so much hype around him. I'm a big fan of him but it irks me when I read most people saying he could be the next Bond (been seeing this everywhere). I'm sure he'll end up a lot better but how do we know he won't end up like Mohammad Sami for example?

Last edited:

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Finally the security guards weren't dickheads and threw the beach balls back into the crowd instead of popping them like they did last summer.

Chewie

BCCI President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
The world has been aware of him for a while, but the day NZ get Milne bowling accurately to complement his pace - they have got a serious potential weapon across all formats.

Touching 150 mph & bowling at speeds comparable to Johnson in the recent Ashes.

I wish he was bowling 150mph

War

Chairman of Selectors
I know its always going to happen with someone that quick but I just wish there wasn't really so much hype around him. I'm a big fan of him but it irks me when I read most people saying he could be the next Bond (been seeing this everywhere). I'm sure he'll end up a lot better but how do we know he won't end up like Mohammad Sami for example?

Ha ye the Bond comparison aren't surprising and inevitable, although indeed a bit knee-jerk.

Him becoming like Bond & not like Sami, Tait or maybe a hot & cold career like Mitch Johnson, Nantie Hayward - i guess will depend on how quickly he brings control to his natural pace. Along with finding a stock delivery & become either a major out-swing or in-swing bowler.

ferg512

International Coach
Finally the security guards weren't dickheads and threw the beach balls back into the crowd instead of popping them like they did last summer.

Random question but is it better to watch a game there now that they changed the angle of the block? I know the ground used to look like a baseball diamond.

CG123

Chairman of Selectors
Random question but is it better to watch a game there now that they changed the angle of the block? I know the ground used to look like a baseball diamond.

Growing up I used to mainly go to the upper West stand and spend most of the day playing on the number two, now I think I've only gone to the East and South stands. I watched most of the England Test and ODI last year from the East stand and I really liked it, there's a good atmosphere there because it was where the Terraces used to be.

In terms of behind the wicket, I think I preferred the upper West stand to the South stand now, the boundary just seems way to small and there are two tiers towering over you.

Users who are viewing this thread