West Indies tour of New Zealand

irottev

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
You'll beat England, they're a bad ODI side. I'd say you won't win a test though. The problem is your balance. Not good enough bowling stocks. Edwards is pretty good and Tayor's a great prospect but no one to back them up and keep it tight as a unit.

We didn't play at our best, we had unexpected injuries etc. We played pretty well in the tests and I think it was probably a fair result a drawn series. Finding Guptill in the ODIs was a great find, he backed up today and looked good. Just made 1 poor call in trying to cut the ball he got out to. Broom got a good ball first up, not his fault really. Flynn's fault for going out in such horrible fashion.

I think the fact that the only actual 50 over a side match we won by a mile says that we deserved to win the series.

But I must say, watching Gayle was good, just a shame I can't watch him hammer England all over the place now (since they won't show it here).

irottev added 8 Minutes and 3 Seconds later...

How many times have we seen Gayle collect the MotM award! He's won it basically every second game.

nikhil_99

International Coach
So NZ clinch series via D/L method..a good series finally came to an end..rain affected in tests as well as in ODI series..

angryangy

ICC Chairman
hope they get to play and decide the match the way it should be because NZ doesn't deserve to win the match or the series. they haven't done anything special or better than WI.

sad way to end the series and for the WI to lose when they had a clear opportunity to win the match.
Unfortunately, with the teams so closely matched, luck was always going to play a part. However, I must admit the series ends too soon for NZ, who have only improved as the tour has gone on. NZ started out weak, but are again a team of many and are set for an interesting return to Australia. Meanwhile, the West Indies remain a team of few. The likes of Chanderpaul are possibly better than any to have worn a black cap, but that one man is out-gunned by the sloppy work in his own team before the opponent comes into play. With Gayle on song, perhaps they only needed some runs from Sarwan to look convincing, but only being convincing doesn't mean victory is assured.

Although the injury lay-off of Bravo is a difficult one to deal with, Pollard probably has the talent to fill in for him and maybe even hold his own spot. Denesh Ramdin has to go, his decision making at the crease costs the West Indies far too much and tailenders such as Jerome Taylor play with far more sense. The lack of Marlon Samuels is quite evident. Nash might be able to provide a cool head in the middle order, but obviously he can't do this if he's batting at 9. It wasn't a terrible idea to promote Pollard, but beyond his cameo, things did get out of hand. Runako Morton would probably be asking himself why he isn't still in this team and there are probably a couple of others who fancy themselves as opener ahead of Chattergoon or Marshall.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Unfortunately, with the teams so closely matched, luck was always going to play a part. However, I must admit the series ends too soon for NZ, who have only improved as the tour has gone on. NZ started out weak, but are again a team of many and are set for an interesting return to Australia. Meanwhile, the West Indies remain a team of few. The likes of Chanderpaul are possibly better than any to have worn a black cap, but that one man is out-gunned by the sloppy work in his own team before the opponent comes into play. With Gayle on song, perhaps they only needed some runs from Sarwan to look convincing, but only being convincing doesn't mean victory is assured.

Although the injury lay-off of Bravo is a difficult one to deal with, Pollard probably has the talent to fill in for him and maybe even hold his own spot. Denesh Ramdin has to go, his decision making at the crease costs the West Indies far too much and tailenders such as Jerome Taylor play with far more sense. The lack of Marlon Samuels is quite evident. Nash might be able to provide a cool head in the middle order, but obviously he can't do this if he's batting at 9. It wasn't a terrible idea to promote Pollard, but beyond his cameo, things did get out of hand. Runako Morton would probably be asking himself why he isn't still in this team and there are probably a couple of others who fancy themselves as opener ahead of Chattergoon or Marshall.

Well Adrian Barath got a duck in his 1st innings but made 79 before he was bowled by Benn in his 2nd innings. Devon Smith who I'm not a big fan of made 212 to lead his side and Lendl Simmons made 74 so there are a few that could take the spots from these non performers.

We also have a keeper that can actually keep and bat :D

True, that is something that we haven't had for a while. And there isn't much in domestic cricket to improve that. No WK actually stands out.

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
New Zealand called at the right moment for the batsmen powerplay. It practically won them the match and the series. But eventually I would say these teams were pretty balanced against each other.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Just finished watching the highlights of the game on Sky. Chanderpaul's innings was amazing to watch, his reverse sweep six off Vettori was fantastic, loved his use of the shot throughout his innings actually, just a shame he got out playing it on 94. Gayle was also sublime. He really is maturing into a class player with the responsibility of captaincy on his shoulders. Ryder's six onto the top of the stand was awesome as well, the sheer power was a sight to behold.

Also, I can't see West Indies beating us in either form of the game tbh. We'll beat them in the Tests, and as long as you get Chanderpaul, Gayle and Sarwan out West Indies crumble, we've got a far better side. They rely on those 3 with the batting, and then Taylor with the bowling. How Daren Powell is still playing international cricket is beyond me, he's awful. Lacks discipline, accuracy, he isn't that fast, doesn't get much swing, and very rarely contains the batsmen, those ridiculous 5wide Bouncers he bowls every game must really wind the captain up. I'd definitely be searching for an alternative to him, he's awful.

Last edited:

Yogy

Club Cricketer
Most of this tour has been rain-marred and today was no different. It's been a premature end to what was shaping up to be a good contest. West Indies started off well with Gayle powering them to a good total receiving good support from Chanderpaul. New Zealand started the chase in a positive manner with both McCullum and Ryder scoring at will. It was Guptill and Taylor thereafter who took over the mantle and ensured New Zealand finished above the D/L par score before the rain came.

WestIndian

vBookie Team
Thanks Dan for those kind words about West Indies, and our cricket, I am humbled by your in depth analysis of our game, and so correct. I hope our selectors could read this, and may I add you would not be the first to see these things!!
As mentioned by you we have 3 class batsmen, in Gayle, Shiv and Sars, and sadly when they are gone we are done.
A little suggestion, and I do that with respect, leave the West Indies v England for that thread, and while you are there, maybe you could make a ODI comparison by "players" WI v Eng. that could be interested. What do you think??

Thurya

Club Cricketer
another Chris Gayle century..........and West Indies loses the match...

TheGreemSim

International Cricketer
Well I think the series did nz cricket a world of good. And Moles one his first series as coach, he made some very good selections such as MacIntosh and Guptill and Ross Taylor got his form back.

Having said that West Indies looked like a very strong side and it was quite an evenly balanced series. Chris Gayle has to be my man of the series.

Users who are viewing this thread