Why cricket is less popular than football?

Which sport you like more?

• Total voters

Parmesh killer

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
If you are sure you are right then really no point in posting this up for discussion and indeed on anyone giving any opinions on the matter at all. What is even the point, if you have already made up your mind that you are right.

Sorry if you got hurt. I would avoid such posts next time.

PokerAce

Banned
Sorry if you got hurt. I would avoid such posts next time.

Got Hurt !! What is this post - an inswinging yorker that got me on the toes, lol.

Listen all I am saying is that if you are so sure about something then go around posting it on Discussion boards, where the point is to discuss. You will not make a thread saying the sun rises in the east. Discuss. Will you?

I mean unless you have an open mind on something what is the point in discussing it.

You think you are right, I think you are totally wrong, but I am willing to listen to reason. However if all you have to say is "I am sure I am right", and not even counter by logic or reason or example, any one of the points that I had raised in the post, then its a meaningless discussion. That is all I am saying.

If you think you are so right and your opinion the gospel truth then good luck to you.

lion100lion

International Coach
If you are sure you are right then really no point in posting this up for discussion and indeed on anyone giving any opinions on the matter at all. What is even the point, if you have already made up your mind that you are right.

if you have no view point then there is no point of posting in a thread to increase number if posts.

Ussaid

School Cricketer
I agree with PokerAce, cricket is too complicated for a new fan base to adjust according to it. You will have to explain no balls, wides, overs, ball condition, pitch condition, fours and sixes, rotation of strikes, strike rate, lbw, run out, line and length and what not. Then you will have to cover details. I frankly don't think there are so many people so divoted to be prepared to learn from scratch.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
fact: Cricket was bigger than Baseball in America before the Civil War; and in some places until the early 1910s.

The reason why it died in the USA? The ICC didn't let America join because originally the ICC was the IMPERIAL Cricket Conference so didn't let non-empire nations in. It was never going to be big in Europe; but if the USA were allowed to play International Cricket in the 1900s; then there is a chance that it might have survived and because of the position of America in the late 20th Century; helped the sport grow in other parts of the world.

The fact that only commonwealth nations were allowed to play International Cricket until 1964 hurt cricket dramatically in most of the world, and meant that it had to start from literally nothing, which Football has never had to do

TL;dr: Football had a better base in most of the world because the World body wanted it to be big in the world while the ICC were only interested in England, Australia and the "British Empire"

Parmesh killer

Club Captain
fact: Cricket was bigger than Baseball in America before the Civil War; and in some places until the early 1910s.

The reason why it died in the USA? The ICC didn't let America join because originally the ICC was the IMPERIAL Cricket Conference so didn't let non-empire nations in. It was never going to be big in Europe; but if the USA were allowed to play International Cricket in the 1900s; then there is a chance that it might have survived and because of the position of America in the late 20th Century; helped the sport grow in other parts of the world.

The fact that only commonwealth nations were allowed to play International Cricket until 1964 hurt cricket dramatically in most of the world, and meant that it had to start from literally nothing, which Football has never had to do

TL;dr: Football had a better base in most of the world because the World body wanted it to be big in the world while the ICC were only interested in England, Australia and the "British Empire"

The information you provided was really helpful mate. Thanks for it.

PokerAce

Banned

Interesting info, didn't know this.

shazyb1234

Club Captain
Hello there. We're all here to discuss why cricket is less popular than football. Here the some reasons I think are responsible for this:-
1) ICC's Attachment to the longer formats of the game. Whereas, very few people watch it as compared to T20.
2) Lack of interest of people and sponsers in longer format.
3) Less importance is given to club cricket tournament like bbl and ipl. In football, clubs form very vital part.
4) Dominance of BCCI in ICC.
5) Less importance given to associate nations.
6) Hosting of big tournaments is given to the countries where cricket is already popular.
7) Corruption present in cricket.
8) Poor marketing strategy.
9) Presence of politics in cricket.
10) Football is a fast game.
11) E A fifa game series has also made it popular. On the other hand no company is willing to make cricket cricket games.
12) Cricket is not a of full time occupation in associate nations.
13) Cricket rules are too complex to be understood by new ones.
14) Initially, ICC was Imperial Cricket Council which did not allowed countries like USA to take part in cricket. Imperial Cricket Council only allowed cricket between countries which were under British control.
If you know more causes please comment here. Please give your feedbacks and any updates you want to give. Thanks of for your views and don't stop giving them.
Credits of this information goes to various people who have given their valuable feedbacks on this thread.

11. DBC 14 is going to solve this :cheers

Ohm

User Title Purchaser
PlanetCricket Award Winner
ICC are the big barrier to take Cricket popularity over Soccer.

1. ICC doesn't allow more of weaker sides to take part in world competitions. In football where UEFA are planning to play 24 national teams in a continental competition (Euro 2016/2020), on other hand ICC still sticked with top 10 nations fact. Come on, bring more and more teams to world cups, arrange longer multi national tournaments and spread the game.

2. The top 10 teams always tour to remaining 9 nations excluding themselves. Why India never toured to U.S.A., Ireland, Holland, etc.? In soccer Brazil faces a too much weaker side than them like South Africa in a friendly game. Not only sometimes but it occurs many times. I doesn't happen in Cricket regularly. The top 10 nations always looking to make money so they prefer to host against an under 10 side.

3. Host some games or series between two bigger nations at a neutral venue, mostly in associated nations. Why not holding a match or series between teams like India-Pakistan, Australia-England in a country like Canada or Kenya? People in a country like Canada will hopefully enjoy a India-Pakistan game than a match against their own national team.

4. Gaming is a super chance for marketing of Cricket. But still some companies don't like to work on an unlicensed product. ICC doesn't meet to the license agreement and a good game doesn't produce. A game of this generation like DBC would be more popular and will be played by 2X people if it comes with license. Why people should love playing with virtual players and everything? ICC should use gaming as a medium to make the sport worldwide.

5. Hate the fact where everyone says longer time sucks. I enjoy test cricket over any other format like OD, TT, 40 or 25-25 (like in aussie league). More fans don't goes to watch test matches live at stadium but I believe that there are number of cricket lovers who keeps day-to-day updates of test matches. (I always watch ball to ball match when India playing in a test match:p). So support longer forms. If you can't support or shout from stadium stands then do from social networking sites.

6. Support club cricketing as comparing to football. I think all the domestic limited over club cricket competitions should be played across the world at a same time. Make 4 months of time available for those things. Host IPL, BBL, SLPL, FLT20 and all the other leagues at a same time and bring in the transfer thing. Also arrange 50 over competitions along with TT leagues. So that people can enjoy watching star player's show with their favorite domestic side for a longer time. If domestic cricket becomes stronger then international cricket will be powerful automatically. Also boards can make more and more money in domestic competitions.
Unlimited over format should be played across the international competitions and it should be local. Also several boards can arrange local limited over competitions considering availability of time.

7. Popular TT leagues should be broad-casted in many countries, mostly there where people are unknown to this beautiful game. Also some ICC controlled cricket coaching academies may help a lot to develop good domestic youth structure in associated nations.

This is how cricket can be made famous in my opinions. Those aren't causes of least popularity according to the topic but those are few suggestions which can not be reached to ICC but can be discussed here only.:p

Parmesh killer

Club Captain
I also like test cricket but major problem with test is that does not gives as much revenue as compared to t20 or odi."Today's audience is more interested in fast entertainment rather than originality of game." This statement does not includes diehard cricket fans because they watch test ball-by-ball on tv. You may not agree with my view point but I think this is the only reason for decline of tests.

Users who are viewing this thread