Why cricket is less popular than football?

Which sport you like more?

• Total voters

Cricketiswin

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Football has the bigger ball so it always wins LOL:clap:wave

On a side note: Football is easy to play:yes. You just need a ball & some space.:thumbs (no fancy equipments). It is easy to understand :lol(at least the basics of it). The football players have more charisma (attract people of all ages). How many of us copy the hairstyles? :p Football is a global sport.

However, by the birth of T20, cricket is getting popular by the years.:cheers Football has also tons of prize money involved in big leagues so it attracts players as well.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
Football has the bigger ball so it always wins LOL:clap:wave

On a side note: Football is easy to play:yes. You just need a ball & some space.:thumbs (no fancy equipments). It is easy to understand :lol(at least the basics of it). The football players have more charisma (attract people of all ages). How many of us copy the hairstyles? :p Football is a global sport.

However, by the birth of T20, cricket is getting popular by the years.:cheers Football has also tons of prize money involved in big leagues so it attracts players as well.

this would seem a good answer if cricket didn't take place outside the UK where we rely on the public school system that have gorgeous facilities and eqipment for our cricket team and the council estates for our football players.

but asia and the west indies have areas heavily affected by poverty and kids still play cricket in great numbers.

look at afghanistan, cricket is really taking off there and they seem to be powering past wealthy european nations where cricket has been played for decades despite the fact the country is heavily affected by war and poverty.

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
ICC are the big barrier to take Cricket popularity over Soccer.

This is the big thing; whereas FIFA seem genuinely interested in the long-term growth of football; the ICC only care about the short-term; hence two Ashes in a year and all the ICC competitions where the same 8 teams play each other. The ICC has always been like that; it needs reforming to give the Associates some actual power, or even some external funding (that is why the Olympics is important, apparently some Associates were annoyed with the ICC vetoing olympic inclusion because they might have got 10x the funds from their national government than they currently get from the ICC)

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I know its not; but it should be. The ICC had a report about it late last year, they rejected olympic inclusion because it would apparently cost the BCCI, CA and the ECB money...

Lee1981

International Coach
Popularity has nothing to do with the fact that cricket is light-years ahead of football in terms of excitement and entertainment. Just re-collect the last 10 football matches vs the last 10 cricket matches. Cricket will win hands down. Its diverse, exciting and with limitless options and possibilities. Football is a very restricted game where players have very little to do. Cricket requires brains and muscles. Football is an easy game with minimal skill required (I said skill not fitness), thats why its popular.

If u want edge of the seat excitement watch cricket, if u haven't slept well the last night watch football Simple!!:lol

You gotta be having a wind up.?

No skill :facepalm

Nothing compares to football that is the truth.

grkrama

National Board President
You gotta be having a wind up.?

No skill

Nothing compares to football that is the truth.
Nah for me nothing compares to cricket:yes
you will always remember cricket in much more detail than football even years after, and its definitely a more fulfilling experience for me.Also cricket despite being a team sport is one were individuals are glorified more on their own than the team together.The twists and turns cricket wins hands down for me.

Football is an easy game with minimal skill required (I said skill not fitness), thats why its popular.
football definitely requires a great set of skills than just fitness (though its essential like every other sport), a fast working brain, u cant switch on and off like in cricket every ball, you have to be completely in the zone for the time you are in field.maybe you should checkout more games.

shubham466

County Cricketer
Who says Football is more popular than Cricket ? (See poll results...)

Actually it depends upon the position of that sport in their country. For instance Argentina, Brazil and so many teams play cricket .. but who cares? You know why they do not like cricket. ;)

If we consider India, Pakistan for their football skills... then !!

That's why some people like football and some cricket.. but we can't measure their popularity on timing or format basis. Popularity totally depends upon the country ranking on that sport.

Champagnepapi

ICC Board Member
Kings XI
Profile Flag
Canada
Well at the end of the day, it is what a person is more into, its based on opinion wise also. Some hate cricket and some hate football and that is a fact, you just can't expect these two sports to have the same number of fans there will be a difference. Football at the moment is a bit more clean so I'm 50/50 here.

abhi_jacko

National Board President
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
For me, the cerebral enjoyment I get from Cricket cannot be matched by any other sport. It is the complete package. Football has its strategies and tactics too and can be quite interesting, but I don't think it has as much of an effect on the real on-field game as cricket.

In movie terms - Cricket is like Inception - cerebral and entertaining, while football is more like superhero movies. Entertaining but not very taxing on the brains.

PokerAce

Banned
And Inception is my all time favorite movie. :cheers

Not to pick a bone, but Inception was damn good, and all that but I dont think its even Nolan's best film.

I am a big film enthu and so I just had to get into this. Don't get me wrong Inception was great, but honestly Memento is Nolan's best film followed by TDK, then I would say Inception.

If I had to choose a top 5 I would say -

Schindler's List
2001 - ASO
12 Angry Men
The Good, The Bad, The Ugly
Citzen Kane

_________

Users who are viewing this thread