World Cup 2007 - Preview thread

who do you think is going to win the world cup in 2007?

• Australia

Votes: 44 22.0%
  • Bangladesh

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • England

Votes: 35 17.5%
  • India

Votes: 49 24.5%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 36 18.0%
  • South Africa

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Sri Lanka

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • West Indies

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Zimbabwe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Scotland/Bermuda/Ireland/Canada/Netherlands/Kenya)

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
Ouch! If that isx the time then thats going to be tireing.

But I think you are wrong with those times. I think day matches will start about 2am and day/nighters 6am in aussie time.

Can anyone find out what GMT previous matches in the West Indies were played at. Cricinfo couldn't help me :(

The current time in Barbados right now is 9:30am and right time in Sydney Australia the time is 12:30am.

Generally speaking, I think all of the day games will start between 1am - 2am and the day/night games (if any) would start at 6am like irottev said.

I guess India will have 8 ODI's in India to find back lost form. They have been performing badly in the ODI's. But I feel the South African tour is going to be similar to what the New Zealand tour of 2002 was to them. At that time, they went straight into the World Cup. This time, they play 8 ODI's in between

Ganguly has to be a certainty for the World Cup. He has been doing well in South Africa so far, and he looks hungry to make this last chance count. And with Sehwag, Raina and Kaif failing miserably in the ODI's, Saurav Ganguly looks set for that World Cup berth.

Here would be my Indian World Cup 14

Rahul Dravid (captain)
Saurav Ganguly
Sachin Tendulkar
Gautam Gambhir/Suresh Raina
Yuvraj Singh
Mohammed Kaif
VVS Laxman/Virender Sehwag
MS Dhoni
Anil Kumble
Harbhajan Singh
Zaheer Khan
S Sreesanth
Munaf Patel
Irfan Pathan

This team according to me, looks the best fit to challenge in the World Cup 2007. It has a good mix of great fielders, young and quick legs and a very good blend of seniors too. This team can do really well in the World Cup.

I was a little bit inclined towards Ajit Agarkar, but Zaheer making a very good comeback, Sreesanth becoming a star now with his bowling and his antics and with Munaf providing the line and length option, Agarkar is really not needed. Irfan can be a better back up in case one of these bowlers break down. Irfan should regain his bowling form on Indian wickets by then.

I am at a confusion between Gambhir and Raina. I want Raina because it would make it three great fielders in Yuvraj, Kaif and Raina (we are not still sure of Yuvraj's fitness). But Gambhir can provide us that back up opening option so that Ganguly can slide down the order and not risk against the new ball!

Last edited:
Cricketman93 said:
I think india might have a good run in the WC. They had a bad series and start to the 03 WC, same again. Watch, we're gonna win this, and you all will be eating your text :)

India are also one of the two or three top teams who haven't beaten a slightly weaker Australian side in a One-Dayer in the past few years. ;)

I think India have a large weakness in their bowling attack. With their consistantcy. Munaf Patel looked like he was doing well, but then theres other bowlers who usually get quite a bit of stick. Of course the two spinners are good enough. Maybe they can sort it out I dunno. Their batting seems pretty strong on paper though. Definatly their strength.

If Pathan finds form India have a decent team in both bowling and batting. Sree is the one to target for fast runs but he can also get you wickets. The batting definitely is their strong point but like any lineup they too can crack.

Yet another squad announced today, the preliminary WC squad of 30 has been announced. It's great seeing Andrew MacDonald in that squad, it shows how quickly he has risen.

Australia World Cup preliminary squad Adam Gilchrist (wk), Matthew Hayden, Ricky Ponting (capt), Phil Jaques, Shane Watson, Simon Katich, Michael Hussey, Michael Clarke, Andrew Symonds, Marcus North, Adam Voges, Brad Hodge, Travis Birt, Shaun Marsh, Cameron White, Mark Cosgrove, Brad Haddin (wk), James Hopes, Andrew McDonald, Brad Hogg, Brett Lee, Mitchell Johnson, Nathan Hauritz, Stuart Clark, Glenn McGrath, Daniel Cullen, Nathan Bracken, Shaun Tait, Shane Harwood, Ben Hilfenhaus.

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/275215.html

Adam Gilchrist (wk), Matthew Hayden, Ricky Ponting (capt), Phil Jaques, Shane Watson, Michael Hussey, Michael Clarke, Andrew Symonds, Cameron White, Brad Haddin (wk), Brad Hogg, Brett Lee, Mitchell Johnson, Stuart Clark, Glenn McGrath, Nathan Bracken.

For me.

My India's World cup team has changed (according to the recently concluded series in South africa)

Sachin Tendulkar, Saurav Ganguly (c), Rahul Dravid, Yuvraj Singh, Mohammed Kaif, Dinesh Karthick, Robin Uthappa, MS Dhoni Zaheer Khan, Anil Kumble, Harbhajan Singh, Sree Sreesanth, Ajit Agarkar, Irfan Pathan

lol, at my poll.

In my opinion Australia are favourites followed by Pakistan and the West Indies.

I'v changed my squad.

Heres my India's world cup team:

Ganguly*
Dhoni+
Tendulkar
Dravid
Yuvraj
Kaif
Karthik
Sehwag
Kumble
Harbhajan
Pathan
Zaheer
Agarkar
Sreesanth
Munaf Patel

Last edited:
Four Team How Deserves To Go In The Knockout Fases Are

Pakistan,india,australia,south Africa Or West Indies

They Had Very Good Moments Since 2003 World Cup And Why Do You Guys Say That Pak Is A Lethal Team Pak Have Better Batting Order Then India And West Indies And I Think They Will Be The Team Who Can Win This One

Pakistan Have A Better Batting Order Then India

Can Sehwag Face Mohammed Asif Can He Noooooooooooooooooooooooo
Neverrrrrr

He Isnt A Batter He Is Just An Lethal All Rounder

South Africa Beat The Hell Out Off India

So Sout Africa Have A Better Chance

And If U See India Bowling Order Then U Say Helllll

Bcz They Have No Very Fast Bowler Like Sami , Akhtar , Brett Lee So I Think India Have No Chance In This World Cup
But I Think India Could Have A Fast Bowler I M Talking About Nehra He Was A Wicket Tacker What Did India Do With Him
Lefting Him Out Of The Team

Well I Go For A Final Like Aussies Vs South Africa But I M Pakistani And I Would Love That Pak Would Get In The Final

mosaib said:

They Had Very Good Moments Since 2003 World Cup And Why Do You Guys Say That Pak Is A Lethal Team Pak Have Better Batting Order Then India And West Indies And I Think They Will Be The Team Who Can Win This One

Neverrrrrr

Bcz They Have No Very Fast Bowler Like Sami , Akhtar , Brett Lee So I Think India Have No Chance In This World Cup
But I Think India Could Have A Fast Bowler I M Talking About Nehra He Was A Wicket Tacker What Did India Do With Him

Well I Go For A Final Like Aussies Vs South Africa But I M Pakistani And I Would Love That Pak Would Get In The Final

I agree Pakistan have a better batting line up then India, Pakistan is a class team with a blend of youth and expierence, on their day they can beat the crap out of anyone.

Indias bowling is improving, India has got good bowlers for the future like Sreesanth, Munaf, RP Singh, etc, etc.

What's with your biasness with India?

mosaib said:

Neverrrrrr

i hope no-one seriously responds to this poorly constructed post.

oops ! I just did ! :mad

usy said:
TBH, no offence I'm bored of seeing Australia win the world cups, not saying they are a bad team, just like Brazil in soccer getting overrated. :( I'm not saying Pakistan should win it (they better :p) but how about a diffrent World Champs?

I'v got the same feeling mate.

There is Australia and then there is the rest :).

iceman_waugh said:
It seems like India will do well here.
Some astrologer in India predicted that India would lift the World Cup in 2007 provided Dravid were leading the side.

Dont belive astrologers, one of Indias top astrologers predicted that India had a 99% chance of lifting the champions throphy and look what happened.

Users who are viewing this thread