Worst match of the year

Hello. The only point I have to make on the Pakistan tour (and I agree that the Pakistan tour cannot be held as a benchmark) is that when countries have special rivalries, the quality of competition goes up. You claimed that beating Pakistan in Pakistan cannot be rated at the top of anyone's list (your exact words) but the very fact that the rivarly is so special makes it to the top of any Indian's list. And any knowledgable cricket follower will also respect the speciality of that series victory. Such performances do not come just from statistics or talent, but from the heart. When you are an Indian playing against Pakistan or vica versa, something in you brings out an extra.

Now, the Australian bowling. I do not know why you have got so defensive of the Australian bowling (well not defensive but obsessed with convincing everyone that they are the best) when everyone on this forum knows that they are the best pace bowlers in the world, currently. McGrath, Gillespie and Kasparowicz are nearing the end of their careers and one could even claim that they are now descending from the peak of their perfomance (very respectably, too). They have had 9-12 years to prove their ability in the highest form of the game.

And they have performed consistently--no one can take that away from them. The bowlers from the Indian sub-continent are what we call emerging bowlers. They have just about 1-3 years of experience behind them and they are developing their talents. They are discovering new things they can do with the ball and they are starting to become dangerous. When Irfan Pathan first came on the scene, no one knew what he was doing (and hence were becoming out). He was erratic, though, and he took some time to develop his talent. In the Pakistan tour he was devastating. He is nowhere near the quality of the Australian bowlers at the moment, but you got to weigh their stats looking at their experience.

An example of this is a new batsman. Many batsmen find it difficult to really break into the international scene successfully and start with a string of low scores. I know many top current-day batsmen who have followed this pattern. If you compare such a batsmen to the Don, you are not going to find them comparable. However, the question is do YOU really KNOW the future value of these cricketers? The answer is no. When judging the current fast-bowlers of Asia, you find that many of them have a lot of potential. If we are successful in eventually converting this potential into performance, you will find that many of our bowlers WILL become comparable to McGrath and Gillespie. However, McG and Gilly won't be around to make a comparison at that future point, and thus we will compare them to their contemporaries.

Let's not debate about the Mumbai dust-bowl now because I think either side can be debated well. The pitch was not expected to last past 3-4 days, but one could have expected better application on the part of both teams. That's all I will say about that. As for spinners in the world, the current concentration of the top spinners in the world lies in Asia. The ONLY contradiction to this theory is Shane Warne, who is Australian. Apart from that, the rest of the world is filled with Giles' and Bojes and whatnot who will never really make a significant impact on quality opposition.

sohummisra said:
Hello. The only point I have to make on the Pakistan tour (and I agree that the Pakistan tour cannot be held as a benchmark) is that when countries have special rivalries, the quality of competition goes up. You claimed that beating Pakistan in Pakistan cannot be rated at the top of anyone's list (your exact words) but the very fact that the rivarly is so special makes it to the top of any Indian's list. And any knowledgable cricket follower will also respect the speciality of that series victory. Such performances do not come just from statistics or talent, but from the heart. When you are an Indian playing against Pakistan or vica versa, something in you brings out an extra.

Now, the Australian bowling. I do not know why you have got so defensive of the Australian bowling (well not defensive but obsessed with convincing everyone that they are the best) when everyone on this forum knows that they are the best pace bowlers in the world, currently. McGrath, Gillespie and Kasparowicz are nearing the end of their careers and one could even claim that they are now descending from the peak of their perfomance (very respectably, too). They have had 9-12 years to prove their ability in the highest form of the game.

And they have performed consistently--no one can take that away from them. The bowlers from the Indian sub-continent are what we call emerging bowlers. They have just about 1-3 years of experience behind them and they are developing their talents. They are discovering new things they can do with the ball and they are starting to become dangerous. When Irfan Pathan first came on the scene, no one knew what he was doing (and hence were becoming out). He was erratic, though, and he took some time to develop his talent. In the Pakistan tour he was devastating. He is nowhere near the quality of the Australian bowlers at the moment, but you got to weigh their stats looking at their experience.

An example of this is a new batsman. Many batsmen find it difficult to really break into the international scene successfully and start with a string of low scores. I know many top current-day batsmen who have followed this pattern. If you compare such a batsmen to the Don, you are not going to find them comparable. However, the question is do YOU really KNOW the future value of these cricketers? The answer is no. When judging the current fast-bowlers of Asia, you find that many of them have a lot of potential. If we are successful in eventually converting this potential into performance, you will find that many of our bowlers WILL become comparable to McGrath and Gillespie. However, McG and Gilly won't be around to make a comparison at that future point, and thus we will compare them to their contemporaries.

Let's not debate about the Mumbai dust-bowl now because I think either side can be debated well. The pitch was not expected to last past 3-4 days, but one could have expected better application on the part of both teams. That's all I will say about that. As for spinners in the world, the current concentration of the top spinners in the world lies in Asia. The ONLY contradiction to this theory is Shane Warne, who is Australian. Apart from that, the rest of the world is filled with Giles' and Bojes and whatnot who will never really make a significant impact on quality opposition.

hey, man i love these debates. ill keep this quick because otherwise i will just repeat myself again and again. ok so with the paki series. ive been taken out of context here. never have i disrespected the paki and india series. all i have said from the outset is that their form is not that impressive that they can really be matched against. i respect totally the passion and heart that is involved. we once had that in the ashes out here, maybe that will come back.

i do not mean to be defensive or obsessed with the aussie bowlers. however hering talk about balagi and pathan bowling great lead me to stating that india havent had a really proven fast bowler in a long while. srinath was the closest by a long way. but playing in india doesnt support the seemers that much, i respect that aswell. i understand your views on the emerging nature of the bowlers, i personally feel, from my own viewing of these bowlers, that no indian quick has really dominated YET. i felt z.kahn was most impressive of the current crop.

the batsmen theory came a bit from left field but i agree with the difficulty to dominate early. only exclusion was michael "pup" clarke but he is struggling a bit lately. in relation to batting i feel the indian lineup, excluding whoever opens with shewag, matches the australian batting lineup spot by spot. (excluding the other opener and the keeper).

yeh im sick of having to go back to mumbai. it keeps coming up so i have to answer it. and im over it... now!

guys i much appreciate the debate on this topic. dont take it to heart to much because my views are just those i have formed from years of cricket watching and reading. much respect to all who have replied and i thoroughly enjoy these debates. cheers guys

angryangy said:
One of the problems with the Indian squad is that it is depending on the past to revive a lot. Tendulkar, Ganguly, Laxman, Dravid; ideally these would be a victorious combination, but currently they lack the magic. They are in the team for what they have done, what they can do, not what they are doing. Most likely, the top order will come good again and start firing without hassle.
The real weakness is in the pace attack. India too often play just two quicks and waste the delicious seam and shine on the new ball. Partly, this is because at the end of the day, Irfan Pathan, Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra and Agit Agarkar suck. In order to dominate consistently around the world, this should be their key target for improvement. Look at other teams, even Sri Lanka, whose home wickets are often partisan to spin, have the reliability of Vaas.
Your comments may be closer to the truth in ODIs, but in test matches, you couldn't be more wrong. I believe India deserve to be #3 in tests, and yes, they deserve to be #8 in ODIs, though they can do better.

In another post somebody said something about Bhaji being investigated for suspect action, to that I say 'about bloody time'. :p

well my bro m waugh,i pretty much appreciate ur thoughts on this debate...but i must add that the aussies are the best in the world ...
john buchanan said that other teams will have to catch to compete with them
agreed.
the indians are talking about balaji and pathan just like the aussies were about mcgrath in worldcup 1996.It has been a long time for them to prove themselves.
You never know ,maybe oneday the world would fear the indian attack as it had been fearing the aussies.

Long ago,Wes Hall, A,Roberts,Marshall,were the most dreaded names in cricket.
The era of West indies it was.Till 1992 it continued,i.e when walsh and ambrose and bishop were at their peak.Then came the aussies with mcdermott,reifel,fleming and now with mcgrath,gillespie and lee.I suppose we all saw how the aussies looked mediocre when india toured them in Dec 2003.There was absolutely no one who dominated the batsmen..B williams to some extent .Gillespie could do anything .agreed that he was co ming out on an injury.
Only thing i wish to say here is to give these youngsters a bit of time.

gotta agree with iceman here...man now u've really woken up...

the fact is that both Bala and Pathan have it in them to be somewhere from good to great...whether they realise their potential in the time to come or not - time will tell...

n e way we are moving away from the topic... which is the worst match of the year... well i think a year is too short to list them...lets make it worst match that we've watched, heard or read abt...

well Indo - Pak series is now considered to be great cricket and all that but the generation before us must have been really bored when they managed to play each other...so many draws!!!

much appreciated to everyone who replied to my posts. lets just hope for the indian team and nation that a couple of these fast bowlers can progress to the elite group in the world. thanks to iceman waugh and sachinisgod (always have good debates with you sachin). i have nothing else to say otherwise i would just repeat myself over and over again. thanks guys.

as for the worst match ever, i thought the 99 world cup was bad as it was so easy in the end. that scg test - steve waughs last - springs to mind. tendulkar batted way to long and also a vb game between saf and nz. playing to keep australia out of the series. boring boring cricket

sohummisra said:
How about the minnows' games at the Asia Cup. I felt like screaming, "try to get runs, you dumb idiots!"
Really? I was screaming that infamous quote, "It is red, round and has a seam. Now hit it!" :p
nightprowler10 said:
In another post somebody said something about Bhaji being investigated for suspect action, to that I say 'about bloody time'. :p
!!!! :eek:
Bah, your just jelous that you don't have as good as bowler as him :p :rolleyes:

ZoraxDoom said:
!!!! :eek:
Bah, your just jelous that you don't have as good as bowler as him :p :rolleyes:
:rolleyes:
  • Saqlain Mushtaq (returning in October)
  • Danish Kaneria (almost as good as Warnie at this age)

nightprowler10 said:
:rolleyes:
  • Saqlain Mushtaq (returning in October)
  • Danish Kaneria (almost as good as Warnie at this age)
Still no where as good......Mushtaq is past his prime and Kaneria was handled quite easily by the Indians in the second match...

However harbhajan has been troubling your batsmen throughout the second match and plugged up an end while Kumble wiped you over.....

ZoraxDoom said:
Still no where as good......Mushtaq is past his prime and Kaneria was handled quite easily by the Indians in the second match...

However harbhajan has been troubling your batsmen throughout the second match and plugged up an end while Kumble wiped you over.....
Don't forget they're playing in the homeland. Only reason Kumble and Bhaji aren't considered the world's best is that they mostly perform well under sub-continent conditions. Whereas Kaneria did a helluva job against Australia in Australia. As for Saqlain, based on his past few series, maybe you're right, but I won't believe it until I see him consistently out of form when he comes back.

Our two regular ODI spinners are pretty decent and destructive with the bat, especially against India, but thats beside the point.

Kaneria was successful in Australia because no one else really had the skill, consistency or form to tackle the Australian batting. As for Saqlain Mushtaq, he was thwacked out of the team by Sehwag when India toured there. Apart from that, Mushtaq has always been good but never spectacular. Kaneria, though, looks like he has the ability to become a world-class spinner. All he needs to do now is keep his ego under control and not pull off another Shoaib Akhtar.

sohummisra said:
Kaneria was successful in Australia because no one else really had the skill, consistency or form to tackle the Australian batting. As for Saqlain Mushtaq, he was thwacked out of the team by Sehwag when India toured there. Apart from that, Mushtaq has always been good but never spectacular. Kaneria, though, looks like he has the ability to become a world-class spinner. All he needs to do now is keep his ego under control and not pull off another Shoaib Akhtar.

i couldnt agree with you more suhummisra, the main reason kaneria took so many wickets is because no body else tried to take them from him. he did bowl very well though. not doubting that. but when someone bowls as much as he does he is bound to end up with wickets. i think he has a lot of potential and he will be very very good however allready coming out and saying that he will be better than warne and murali is a bit to much at this early stage. the way he appeared to treat many of the australian players just looked as though as though he didnt have a lot of respect for them eg clarke and martyn, however it was clear that they had plenty of respect for this dangerous bowler

Mwaugh - i would like to differ with u on that SCG test...it was not a boring test match by any standard...Tendulkar batted too long...well that must hurt the aussies but it doesn't make the test match boring...and 700+ runs in abt 200 overs...must have come at a fair pace...also the Aussie response was more than heartening and interesting...i gotta give it to u - only the Aussies could have responded that way to such a tall mountain...add to that the second innings and it was a pretty good test match - sans Patel's keeping(he sparkled with the bat though) and Bucknor's umpiring...

nothing abt the match seems to be boring and the most wonderful part was the innings by Laxman...jewel is a smallish term for it...ask B. Lee if it was boring...

yeh i probably went a bit far with it being my most boring match. however i maintain that the indian innings was boring. from an australian perspective it was watch the game for a few hours, come back a few hours later and everything was still the same. i personally new from the end of the indian innings it was destined for a draw. i personally dont think the pitch allowed bowlers from either side a good enough chance to take 40 wickets. but it is always enjoyable to see so many runs scored. unfrotunatly it was the point at which sachin returned to form - never a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread