• Angelina Jolie

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
This Balaji is so overhyped. Even Bose is great compared to him even at moment.

Maybe the fans for him in this forum makes you think so. But there is a huge ocean of a world outside PC that doesnt necessarily think the same. He is getting his chances because of his hard work and the backing of the selectors. When we play Praveen, why cant we play Balaji?

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hard Work doesn't necessarily mean he's good. He was, but he has to start from the ground up now.

Sreesanth's antics on the field are fine. It's his way of irritating the other team, and it works. I'm pretty sure he knows what he is doing too, he has a degree in Psychology! It is no reflection of his real personality. Thing 'Gunther' for Nel, or Steve Waugh's 'Mental Disintegration'. The main thing is that he is an excellent bowler...

.Mob

International Coach
Oh, and they went for Sr.... Dhawal Kulkarni.....

:mad

deerkick

Club Cricketer
List A: 8 wickets in 8 games with an average of 40.12? :eek:

Is he being selected only for the one dayers? If so, wtf selectors?

Precambrian

International Cricketer
This is the 1 problem India have at the moment. The lack of quality all-rounder means that outside the sub-continent they can't get away with playing 2 pacemen and then 2 frontline spinners. I don't honestly think any of those bowlers stand up to Ishant and Zaheer, who are 2 of the best in the world. All those names are pretty average, run of the mill fast-medium pacers. Could be a problem for India in somewhere like South Africa where fast bowlers have far more of an impact on games, they can't always rely on Zaheer and Ishant to get the wickets.
Indian pace attack, for that matter bowling attack is presently No.2 in the world.

And that is considering a mediocre pacer for the third seamer role.

I am not surprised at you saying a performing allrounder is a requisite for long spells of wins, considering your best allrounder has hardly had any sort of World Class performances since 2006, and hence is reflecting on your poor record during the time.

But spare a thought for the nearly invincible Aussies of the period 99-07, where they managed to have two 16-test wins-in a row runs, without any proven "allrounder" as such in their test side. Of course, Gilchrist was an allrounder but not in the sense you're conveying right?

Precambrian added 3 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

Munaf is and should be the third seamer option considering he has experience behind him and has reasonably improved in terms of fitness lately.

Then the spots are up for grabs, but there are decent contenders in Sreesanth, Balaji, Kulkarni and P Kumar, not to mention RP Singh and Irfan Pathan. Pathan is a most curious case, his batting has improved by miles, by his bowling has remained stagnant. I still have hope in him to come good.

deerkick

Club Cricketer
20 year old straight to tests huh? I guess we're looking for another Ishant Sharma. It would be amazing if he turns out to be like him though haha.

karnog

International Cricketer
^^Lol. Next thing we know we've got a pace attack that matches the 80s West Indian bowling attack with our batting line up + a Bradman type 20 year old. We will be unstoppable. And now back to reality boys.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Indian pace attack, for that matter bowling attack is presently No.2 in the world.

And that is considering a mediocre pacer for the third seamer role.

I am not surprised at you saying a performing allrounder is a requisite for long spells of wins, considering your best allrounder has hardly had any sort of World Class performances since 2006, and hence is reflecting on your poor record during the time.

But spare a thought for the nearly invincible Aussies of the period 99-07, where they managed to have two 16-test wins-in a row runs, without any proven "allrounder" as such in their test side. Of course, Gilchrist was an allrounder but not in the sense you're conveying right?

Australia didn't need an all-rounder, as the bowlers they had were the best in the world. McGrath, Warne, Kasprowicz and Gillespie was a good enough attack on it's own. India's 3rd seamer is not good enough, and they won't get away with playing 2 spinners and 2 fast bowlers outside the subcontinent. Zaheer and Ishant are quality bowlers, but they're not going to skittle out attacks on their own, and I don't think a Munaf Patel, or a Praveen Kumar, or any of the other medium pacers India have lined up are good enough to consistently take 20 wickets outside the subcontinent.

I don't believe Harbhajan Singh is good enough outside the Subcontinent to lead the spin attack either. He averages 39 away from home in Test cricket, and without having 3 world class seamers India could struggle. It's no co-incidence that this recent spell of dominating form from India has seen most of their wins occur in India or the sub-continent. That's what makes South Africa a better side, they've been successful all around the world, and not just relied on beating people at home. The only side India have managed to beat in a series outside the subcontinent has been England in recent times, and we're crap.

I just don't think India have the bowling attack to truely dominate outside the subcontinent. Zaheer Khan may be bowling well but he's very much a Flintoff-esque bowler. Bowls fantastically economic spells, leads the attack, but his wickets take a long time to come. A Test bowling average of 34, and an away average of 32 is good, but it's not truely world class. Sharma's record outside India is also far from impressive, with not much in terms of wickets in Australia, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka. So India, for my money still have alot to prove. They're not yet anywhere near as good as South Africa as they're yet to really triumph outside the subcontinent.

King Cricket

International Coach
Australia didn't need an all-rounder, as the bowlers they had were the best in the world. McGrath, Warne, Kasprowicz and Gillespie was a good enough attack on it's own. India's 3rd seamer is not good enough, and they won't get away with playing 2 spinners and 2 fast bowlers outside the subcontinent. Zaheer and Ishant are quality bowlers, but they're not going to skittle out attacks on their own, and I don't think a Munaf Patel, or a Praveen Kumar, or any of the other medium pacers India have lined up are good enough to consistently take 20 wickets outside the subcontinent.

I don't believe Harbhajan Singh is good enough outside the Subcontinent to lead the spin attack either. He averages 39 away from home in Test cricket, and without having 3 world class seamers India could struggle. It's no co-incidence that this recent spell of dominating form from India has seen most of their wins occur in India or the sub-continent. That's what makes South Africa a better side, they've been successful all around the world, and not just relied on beating people at home. The only side India have managed to beat in a series outside the subcontinent has been England in recent times, and we're crap.

I just don't think India have the bowling attack to truely dominate outside the subcontinent. Zaheer Khan may be bowling well but he's very much a Flintoff-esque bowler. Bowls fantastically economic spells, leads the attack, but his wickets take a long time to come. A Test bowling average of 34, and an away average of 32 is good, but it's not truely world class. Sharma's record outside India is also far from impressive, with not much in terms of wickets in Australia, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka. So India, for my money still have alot to prove. They're not yet anywhere near as good as South Africa as they're yet to really triumph outside the subcontinent.

?sıɥʇ ǝʌǝılǝq ʇ,uɐɔ ?ƃuızɐɯɐ˙˙˙˙ʍoʍ˙˙˙˙noʎ˙˙˙˙uɐǝɯ ı :ʞǝǝ: ?ʇı uɐǝɯ ʎllɐǝɹ noʎ

Anyway, I don't think an English side which had KP, Freddie, Collingwood etc etc can be said crap. But still you're right. We really don't have a decent third-seamer in our country. :noway India's third best pacer right now is Munaf Patel- Yeah, the same Munaf who fell asleep in the field while a match vs India and Pakistan was on. So, just imagine our condition. A bit like Australia's current spinner crisis- Pacer, pacer everywhere- but all of them crap.

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Are you kidding? We have tons of quality medium pacers. Sreesanth is probably the best one to play alongside Ishant and Zaheer. Munaf isn't even close to the top five.

I'd say it's Sreesanth, followed by Praveen Kumar. Praveen has an excellent FC record, gets it to move both ways in the most placid conditions. Plus, he gets movement off the pitch too, which is great on unresponsive tracks.

RP Singh, when the conditions assist him, is a FANTASTIC bowler. But when they don't he is far worse than mediocre. We saw what he did in South Africa and England, but when he comes back to the sub continent he struggles without the assistance.

I think we'll see a new quick come up during the IPL. Perhaps Balaji will be back in full swing, or maybe even Sid Trivedi. But none of these guys are going to be in reckoning for the test team, but the ODI one surely.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Pradeep Sangwan will soon capture every Indian fan's imagination.

Slowcoach

Panel of Selectors
Sreesanth is a very good bowler...sharp outswing with good bounce and carry at 140+kph is not to be scoffed at.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Sreesanth is one guy who's getting overlooked because of his behavior, I feel. He's also had some success abroad, such as in South Africa.

K_P, you've also got to notice that our pacers have done well on the subcontinent pitches, mainly because of reverse swing. If they can get the conventional swing down with the new ball, they theoretically should be much better abroad, in conditions like South Africa and England. Remains to be seen, though. New Zealand should be a start.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Why doesn't anybody realize that there is nothing wrong with Praveen Kumar's first class record?

Users who are viewing this thread