Alleged match fixing in the IPL

Give it a good 15-20 days for the dust to settle. From the initial brouhaha it is quite clear that Chandila and Chavan were involved,seeing as they have confessed. The possibility of the management and more players being involved is quite large. I believe once this edition of the IPL concludes, you might have a lot more information.

As for Sreesanth, someone rightly pointed out that he need not have indulged in this stupidity.Also,its quite hard to believe that a player of his calibre was knocked down for Rs40 lakhs. However, Ankeet Chavan was being paid Rs60 lakhs for his over,even though , in stature he is not even 1/10th of Sreesanth. Doesn't this sound fishy ?

So the players are lying eh?

the IPL has been a corrupt institute since it's inception, bolstered by a huge fan following and global hype, but look through the veneer and you see sub par bowling on extremely bat friendly tracks with some decent level batsmen looking like Gods.

There is a problem in world cricket, mainly centred around India due to it's immense number of bookies who can have access to cricketers, that needs to be sorted. There have been scandals in football and a number of Italian managers lost their jobs. Shouldn't cricketers suffer the same punishment? Life bans for all. It really is as simple as that.

What happens is as betting is illegal in India along with match fixing (obviously), the thin line separating it tends to disappear. The things slowly drift from betting to spot fixing and match fixing. If at all betting is legalized, it puts in a strong message, makes that line a one between legality and illegality.
Ppl are much less prone to cross it then. And, since betting won't be under illegal acts anymore, you could pass in a resolution to strengthen the law against spot/match fixing alone. That would allow for more severe punishments like imprisonment, without getting those who were involved in just the betting (they didn't commit a crime) into the picture.

True. The biggest advantage of legalizing betting is that the odds, and the bets being placed are publicly known. Usually in the case of fixing, somebody is betting heavily against the odds having fixed the match / over. In regulated betting, anybody betting heavily against the odds will raise suspicions. Also, in the event of fixing, it is clear who has benefited - and the benefactor and the player, both are considered guilty of cheating.

----------

the IPL has been a corrupt institute since it's inception, bolstered by a huge fan following and global hype, but look through the veneer and you see sub par bowling on extremely bat friendly tracks with some decent level batsmen looking like Gods.

There is a problem in world cricket, mainly centred around India due to it's immense number of bookies who can have access to cricketers, that needs to be sorted. There have been scandals in football and a number of Italian managers lost their jobs. Shouldn't cricketers suffer the same punishment? Life bans for all. It really is as simple as that.

Aren't we overreacting?? 3 out of 300 players were found to be corrupt. That is 1%. If only 1% of human beings on the planet were morally corrupt, the world would be a far far better place. No amount of regulation and monitoring can completely void corruption.

The fact is that occurrence of corruption will be far more than 1% in any occupation or in any sport or in any part of the world. Why would cricket be an exception?

----------

As for Sreesanth, someone rightly pointed out that he need not have indulged in this stupidity.Also,its quite hard to believe that a player of his calibre was knocked down for Rs40 lakhs. However, Ankeet Chavan was being paid Rs60 lakhs for his over,even though , in stature he is not even 1/10th of Sreesanth. Doesn't this sound fishy ?

Sreesanth is not really the smartest guy going around. I wouldn't put it past him. But he has to be either incredibly greedy or incredibly stupid or both to have done this when he is earning 400,000 USD to have done this.

Also, Sreesanth conceding 14 runs in an over would be an even bet. Maybe slightly against the odds. I can't see too much money being made by fixing that one.

Huh what?

The fact is, IPL has garnered a lot of hate and is now taken as a non caring event. The majority watch it simply because of its t20 factor and favourite players. And that's why it's surviving and it'll continue to do so in the future.

What nonsense! Dravid is RR's captain. What's Sachin got to do here?
One question mate; Are you a compulsive Dravid defender who loves putting an individual ahead of the team (and the police investigation process)?

I thought you were a guy from the urban area with good english knowledge.I never knew you dint go to school man.I am sorry.

I have never mentioned Rahul should not be questioned,i told that despite stature and stuffs anybody can be questioned by law even if he is Sachin.
And Sai,i thought you work in a big company in the USA and still you couldnt understand english.This shows that you two just want to target me.Anyone in sense would not have come to a conclusion like you and Sahil came to from my line.Such biased feelings among us!Phew!

Nah, Indians are masters at overreacting. But all the emotion will last only for a few weeks. After which all will be forgotten.

:lol True That.

----------

I thought you were a guy from the urban area with good english knowledge.I never knew you dint go to school man.I am sorry.

How the hell did you think that I'm from an urban area with a good knowledge of English? Yea, I've never attended school, I can't speak English. Yes, I'm a villager too.
So, you could teach me a bit of English I guess. We'll start off with not giving a space after period.

This shows that you two just want to target me.Anyone in sense would not have come to a conclusion like you and Sahil came to from my line.Such biased feelings among us!Phew!

You see, you meant something but your post didn't convey it efficiently (okay, does that come with having a good knowledge of English, unlike me?!). There couldn't be 2 ppl who'd like to "target" you.
Moreover, there's nothing like Sachin is the pinnacle of something. He is a human being, a mere mortal, no point taking him into a comparative example. That is it.

I have never mentioned Rahul should not be questioned,i told that despite stature and stuffs anybody can be questioned by law even if he is Sachin.
And Sai,i thought you work in a big company in the USA and still you couldnt understand english.This shows that you two just want to target me.Anyone in sense would not have come to a conclusion like you and Sahil came to from my line.Such biased feelings among us!Phew!

English doesn't convey everything effectively my friend. You got to put it the right way if you want to convey something that you intended. I am not here to target you. Heck, you are from the same town from where I come. Why would I target you?

:lol True That.

----------

How the hell did you think that I'm from an urban area with a good knowledge of English? Yea, I've never attended school, I can't speak English. Yes, I'm a villager too.
So, you could teach me a bit of English I guess. We'll start off with not giving a space after period.

You see, you meant something but your post didn't convey it efficiently (okay, does that come with having a good knowledge of English, unlike me?!). There couldn't be 2 ppl who'd like to "target" you.
Moreover, there's nothing like Sachin is the pinnacle of something. He is a human being, a mere mortal, no point taking him into a comparative example. That is it.

He is the highest rated citizen of India for me and so i used his example.

Well, no, not really. Although 75% of Indians would disagree with me.

Who is the "highest rated citizen of India"? Sachin? He hasn't even been conferred with a Bharat Ratna. And even if he was, I don't rate him the highest citizen. There are many people in India who have done good for the country than Sachin who just entertains people with his game (but earns for it). Cricketers and movie stars can never be rated the highest citizens of a country unless they have done something substantially good for the country in terms of social service or welfare activities.

Users who are viewing this thread