Draft: Five a side - T20 draft

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
Right, let's get this underway. Doing this in Draft order.

@Na Maloon Afraad
Virat Kohli
Tim David
Viv Richards
Wasim Akram
Moin Khan

Well, that's some team there. For a T20, it's easy to say that your batsmen will have no problem lasting the entire 20 overs.

I think damn near everyone agrees that Viv in his prime would dominate T20 cricket. Kohli and Viv to open and then David coming in will be a great lineup.

However, while Viv could chip in with some handy wickets, I'm not sure if Wasim can really handle the brunt of the bowling alone. Viv averaged less than a wicket a match in ODIs. But just to hear Moin Khan chirping behind the stumps, "doosra, Viv, doosra" I think it would be a team worth watching.

This is a chasing team, don't think any score will be too high for them.

@Disharies
AB de Villiers
Sandeep Lamichanne
Jasprit Bumrah
Jim Neesham
Kev Pietersen

Bumrah is one of the best late-over bowlers in the world currently. Add in the spin of the Nepali in Lamichanne (who is, by the way, not the greatest Nepali ever...that collectively goes to the Sherpas, they are regularly featured on the list of most summits of Mount Everest and they do so while carrying equipment.) Imagine climbing Everest once. Now do it 25 other times. Yeah, it happened. Wikipedia it, I did.

AB and Pietersen are two destructive batsmen, but for Pietersen in particular, he does have a bit of a weakness of not knowing where his off stump is early on in his innings.

This team needs to bowl first, but they wouldn't be too bad in setting a target either.

@liveinasociety
Chris Gayle
Shakib Al Hasan
Jonny Bairstow
Chris Morris
Maurice Tate

You got both Gayle and Shakib. As the years have passed by, Gayle has gotten more tentative in starting his innings. He likes to bat himself in rather than just bashing from the start. Always a bunny to left arm seamers, this new approach has helped him before he unleashes. As for Shakib, issues with the Bangladesh Cricket Board aside, he's by far the best that they have produced, and for good reason. His stats don't lie.

But if we're talking about "their best" form, Gayle was always a hit-or-miss, and Shakib never really scored that rapidly.

I think this is a quite well-balanced team, and for what (I think) is your first Draft, well done. Your team is a bowl first team. Gayle does better in run chases (until @Aislabie comes in to prove me wrong, of course.)

@qpeedore
Dwayne Bravo
Mohammad Nabi
Kumar Sangakarra
Colin Munro
Fidel Edwards

Bravo in his prime was a batsman who could bowl a bit. Then he went and began to learn how to perform about ten variants of the slower ball. His batting has fell away since then, but he still can bat. It's why I wanted Sangas and Munro at the top. Sangas just won't get himself out, even if he doesn't score rapidly - that's what Munro is for. Nabi can hit a long ball as well.

My thing is with the run rate while bowling. Bravo goes for runs despite picking up wickets. Nabi does get clouted sometimes. Edwards is excellent, but batsmen have gotten used to the sling action and he rarely puts the ball full. It's a Caribbean thing, bouncers are sort of our stock delivery.

This is a bowl first team. Get a score and try to overcome it.

@ahmedleo414
Rashid Khan
Shane Watson
Mohammad Rizwan
Don Bradman
Shaun Pollock

EDIT - PUT IN HIS LAST PICK.

This is a team I'd love to see bat, especially with Watson and Bradman opening. Bradman never really hit the ball into the air, but he had a lot of fours. Watson will sort out the sixes. And Watson can bowl - in his prime he was damn good. Add in the most popular Afghan in Rashid into the mix and you've really got a great team.

Watson is very injury-prone though, even at his prime. Unsure if he'd be able to complete his over with the same intensity as he started. And as the cricketing world has gotten used to Rashid (overexposed, actually) they have worked him out. But then you've got Pollock, an extremely underrated all-rounder, not just a bowler.

Want this team to bat first. 200 in a T20 will be the norm for them.

I have 4 more to go, I think. @Neptune, @CerealKiller @Till Valhalla @mohsin7827 I will get back to you guys with my analysis.

Last edited:

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
PlanetCricket Award Winner
The Boys
@Na Maloon Afraad
Virat Kohli
Tim David
Viv Richards
Wasim Akram
Moin Khan

Well, that's some team there. For a T20, it's easy to say that your batsmen will have no problem lasting the entire 20 overs.

I think damn near everyone agrees that Viv in his prime would dominate T20 cricket. Kohli and Viv to open and then David coming in will be a great lineup.

However, while Viv could chip in with some handy wickets, I'm not sure if Wasim can really handle the brunt of the bowling alone. Viv averaged less than a wicket a match in ODIs. But just to hear Moin Khan chirping behind the stumps, "doosra, Viv, doosra" I think it would be a team worth watching.

This is a chasing team, don't think any score will be too high for them.
Yeah, I clearly lost the plot there with my bowling :/

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
@Neptune
Dre Russ
Jofra Archer
Quinton de Kock
Garry Sobers
Wanindu Hasaranga

Russel in his prime before all the ankle and knee stuff could bowl something near 90MPH and be accurate with it. Archer can currently do the same. Then you've got Sobers, who could bowl literally anything. And despite what you said about Hasaranga, he's not that bad.

My problem with this team comes when they have to bat. Russel isn't very good against a swinging new ball, but perhaps you can say de Kock and Sobers opening. Sobers, for everything that he is, was not a particularly quick scorer. Same could probably be said about de Kock. They are born of the Test mould.

For some reason though, I want to see this team bat first, score about 130, and bowl the opposition out for about 80. Your bowling is that good.

@CerealKiller
Sunil Narine
Mitch Starc
Brendon McCullum
Shadab Khan
Jos Buttler

Bowler heavy, huh? I don't ever like to see Narine opening, the experiment has failed more often than it's succeeded. He's a better 2-down batsman than opening. And since revamping his action he's not as effective. Still an excellent bowler, but not as good as he used to be before he was forced to remodel the action.

I do love McCullum at the top. He's destructive. Buttler is a bit of a so-so for me, but that's only personal. Those bowlers you have are damn good.

It's a bit of an unbalance with the bowlers, but with them there, who cares?

Bowl first, take them out for cheap, and then cruise to victory with McCullum.

@Till Valhalla
Shahid Afridi
Marcus Stoinis
Adam Gilchrist
Glenn McGrath
Jacques Kallis

You have officially gamed this Draft. Boom Boom Afridi, Gilly, Kallis, McGrath, yeah.

Only thing is that both Kallis and McGrath will be bowling Test match lines, which isn't exactly the same as T20 lines. Not a problem for Gilchrist, he'll bat from now until the next T20 match.

Sir, you have officially won.

@mohsin7827
Kieron Pollard
Shaheen Afridi
Imran Tahir
Lasith Malinga
MS Dhoni

Slinga Malinga. The perfect person for T20s. I'll say that as Pollard has aged he's gotten better, but Pollard is not a good cricketer. He just bashes the ball well. But he wins matches. Same for Dhoni. In his prime the man was a god.

Love seeing Shaheen in there. I think this guy has a huge future.

But you might suffer from a lack of batting. What happens when Pollard gets out? Bowlers to come. You're a bowl first team, try to restrict.

@Parthetic Loser
KL Rahul
Sanath Jayasuriya
Kapil Dev
Ravindra Jadeja
Dale Steyn

I love seeing Kapil Dev and Sanath in there. You might have wanted Rahul to open, but I'd put him one down and put Dev to open. And there's Steyn to bowl.

Am a fan of Steyn. Met him once. He actually has a nice smile, not the death glare that you always saw on TV.

You've got enough batting and bowling options there, but Jayasuria is a liability at times.

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
on behalf of myself and everyone super thanks to @qpeedore for his awesome analysis. I am usually terrible at stuff like that so I avoid it, but it's great when someone knowledgeable is able to do it. So thanks once again.

I am still working out a sim tournament, unfortunately due to work it might take longer than expected but I will hopefully have it done soon

Users who are viewing this thread