2014 World Cup Group B: Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia

Epic

Panel of Selectors
This game is like watching a replay Barcelona's being beaten by Bayern Munich last year in C-League semi, Athletico beating Barca in this year C-League quarters or Madrid beating Bayern in this years C-League semi's.

Tiki-Taka is no longer fooling people. Spain need to play of the style of the Madrid teams this season if they have any chance of retaining the title.

The problem is, with the squad VDB has picked, Spain can't exactly just change styles, there is literally no pace apart from Pedro and he isn't exactly very fast either.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Wow the Socceroos are 2-1 up against the Dutch. A bit harsh on the penalty though in my opinion.

And what a goal from Cahill :eek:

EDIT: ...And then Van Persie equalizers.

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
Xavi & Pique predictably dropped. Would have gone one further and dropped Busquets & Casillas for Koke & Reina.

Dipak

ICC Board Member
Well Spain have been really poor as they approach the penalty area. They can't just get the ball in the penalty box, and when they do, the squander it!

War

Chairman of Selectors
Spain mid-field missing someone like Gabi...

War

Chairman of Selectors
Well i always thought Chile would qualify, but at the expense off Holland, because I thought the dutch young defense would get exposed.

Still believe all Spain had to do was abandon the barca/tiki-taka influence.

-------------------------------Lopez-------------------

Juanfran/Cesar------Martinez----------Ramos----------Alba/Moreno

---------------Gabi---------Alonso-------Koke-------------

Navas-------------------Costa-------------------Iniesta-------

Such a potential XI would have done better IMO.

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President
I think it was as much hunger as it was a failing of tiki-taka, they just didn't look that bothered.

the funny thing about the demise of tiki-taka has been that teams have dismantled it by adopting its accompanying high pressing style, the defensive part of it works just fine.

It's not so much barca that should be worried, it's bayern, as guardiola spends millions and pushes brilliant players out the door for not suiting a system that may have had its day.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
After that demolition job by Holland, Spain's body language and the look in their eyes told me that they didn't think they could win the World Cup - and so it has proved. Quite funny though, especially coming so soon after the airing of a documentary in which Cesc and friends run their mouths about how amazing they are. :lol:lol:lol

P Squared

International Coach
10500397_1430522990556936_1035696615059061985_n.jpg

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
That's four competitive games on the bounce Spain have failed to score from open play on Brazilian soil - starting from the Confed cup semis against Italy last year, to the one yesterday.

Good riddance btw.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Is it me or does anyone else think that Casillas could've done slightly better in preventing that second goal? He's had a shocking tournament. Can you imagine the uproar if they don't manage to beat the Aussies :eek:

Handball in the penalty box. Penalty. No questions asked. :)

Oh yeah but come on it's not as if the defender had any time to get his hands out of the way.

Users who are viewing this thread