ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Didn't know a lot about this James Rodriguez fella before the world cup but now I know what all the fuss is about, that first goal was just pure class.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
Is it?

Colombia are by far the strongest team in the tournament so far, and they will make an overrated Brazilian side pay. On the other side, the easy side, Argentina have been so unconvincing and other than that you have really only Costa Rica and USA who I can see possibly causing some upsets. Netherlands have been brilliant though, their attack is second to none and while a strong defence is more likely to get you to the finals, I can't see anyone else on that side going the distance.

James easily worth ?70 m+ now. I wish he left Monaco though, he isn't going to get anything there.

It is, I know you're going by what you've seen thus far and you're totally justified in that, but I really can't remember any WC won or lost on group stage form, most of the top teams are just starting to get going and I feel they'll turn it on for the knockouts.

War

Chairman of Selectors
BrTuju-CUAEA8QP.png:large

thedon5

Panel of Selectors
It is, I know you're going by what you've seen thus far and you're totally justified in that, but I really can't remember any WC won or lost on group stage form, most of the top teams are just starting to get going and I feel they'll turn it on for the knockouts.

Considering it's a South American tournament, I see Colombia as having a great chance. Colombia's defence is a worry, but I think they have it in them to win it for sure and have the big game players to win the tough ones.

Brazil have been so unconvincing and I think Colombia will capitalise on that. They certainly don't have an easy road to the final, but you can be sure that they'll really be up for it if they make it.

I saw them as having a good chance but my doubt before the tournament was how they would manage the loss of Falcao, and so far it looks a blessing in disguise as James and Cuadrado have been allowed to express themselves a lot more. So I feel they can't be considered as weak by any means.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Kuyt man of the match there for sure. Played 3 different positions & covered ridiculous amount of ground in that heat.

----------

Considering it's a South American tournament, I see Colombia as having a great chance. Colombia's defence is a worry, but I think they have it in them to win it for sure and have the big game players to win the tough ones.

Brazil have been so unconvincing and I think Colombia will capitalise on that. They certainly don't have an easy road to the final, but you can be sure that they'll really be up for it if they make it.

I saw them as having a good chance but my doubt before the tournament was how they would manage the loss of Falcao, and so far it looks a blessing in disguise as James and Cuadrado have been allowed to express themselves a lot more. So I feel they can't be considered as weak by any means.

Agreed, once Colombia upset Brazil, i don't put it past them getting to the finals. They will likely have to deal with Netherlands & Germany to get their, but on current form in those conditions they have a great chance.

Along with Belgium, many predicted Colombia was the emerging team of exciting players that could upset the established order also.

----------

I'm hearing The Dutch win is the 1st time a team has won a WC knockout game in regulation after trailing in the 88th min.

Epic

Panel of Selectors

I think they have a good chance of making the final as well, I just am not ready to put my money on it and I expect Brazil to learn from their encounter vs Chile and turn up a better performance vs Colombia, we'll see if they do though...

Agreed, once Colombia upset Brazil, i don't put it past them getting to the finals. They will likely have to deal with Netherlands & Germany to get their, but on current form in those conditions they have a great chance.

Along with Belgium, many predicted Colombia was the emerging team of exciting players that could upset the established order also.

Netherlands are on the other side of the brackets, but I'd agree that Colombia would have to be the favorites to get to the finals from their side of the bracket if they get past Brazil, I expect them to play either France or Germany in the semis and I'd definitely back the South American team to get past either of those 2.

Belgium were probably seen as the bigger dark horses, especially with Falcao's injury, but from what I've seen Colombia have been miles ahead of them.

----------

Before the tournament began, I very much didn't see the conditions as big a problem to the European nations as the media were making it out to be, thought it was just a major exaggeration, definitely not the case...

StinkyBoHoon

National Board President

I think I'd go along with this, germany looked awesome in 2010 but slipped up, argentina were playing brilliant in 2006 before they were bundled out.

on current form, Colombia could definitely win, I just have this feeling that brazil will do enough to go through. it's also worth noting that colombia haven't exactly been tested, a suarez-less uruguay was one of best draws in R16 and their group was a bit rubbish.

Like Epic said in another post, had it been one of the big european nations, given the struggles european nations are having, I'd back colombia, Brazil, in Brazil, is enough to slip anyone up though.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Front three for France should be Griezmann, Benzema and Valbuena judging by last nights performance. Not sure why Deschamps played Benzema out wide on the left in the first half? Game completely changed once Griezmann came on for Giroud.

Haarithan

Chairman of Selectors
Thought I'd put it here.. the curse of the Confederations Cup - Brazil won it in 2005 and 2009, and were eliminated in the quarterfinal of the subsequent World Cups (2006 & 2010). They won the Confed Cup again in 2013....

Dipak

ICC Board Member
Thought I'd put it here.. the curse of the Confederations Cup - Brazil won it in 2005 and 2009, and were eliminated in the quarterfinal of the subsequent World Cups (2006 & 2010). They won the Confed Cup again in 2013....
Won't be surprised if Colombia throw them out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread