2nd Test: England v Australia at Lord's

Didn't expect Australia to be in such position. I am expecting that Australia won't get the required runs to avoid the follow-on, but I am not sure if England would like possibly bat in the fourth innings at this ground. But if that scenario happens, England really should try to enforce the follow-on.

^
I was to believe that batting last on the Lord's pitch wasn't that difficult?

^ batting generally gets easier at Lords on the 5th day, So Id imagine England would not mind chasing down around 200-250 in 4 sessions.

EDIT: in response to Zahid , Howsie beat me to it

In that case England should definitely go for the follow-on. But the match can really change to the advantage of another team, like we've seen in the past.

I don't think England are on top. Why? because I've seen their heroics a million times where they go from leading by 300 runs to losing by 300 runs.

Haha, I don't know why CDM, but every single one of your posts makes me laugh.

Legend.

If it were Ricky Ponting he'd wouldn't enforce the follow on. Most other captains would.

Australia can still come back. Would prefer if they did follow on, build up a lead of 300 and take it home.

Great test match so far, you have got to love the ashes! Great bowling by Jimmy today, he's a handful when the ball is swinging. Only Bad thing about this game so far has been Aussies batting. Something like 5 people out to the Hook. Worst was Haddins, stupid time to get out.

age of the fall added 2 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...

Haha, I don't know why CDM, but every single one of your posts makes me laugh.

Legend.

Probably because he always hypes Aussie and downplays everybody else:p

Nah, I leave that for cricsim. Anyway guys should Stuart Clark and Lee play in the next test? Who to replace?

Clark for Hauritz, not sure what the pitch is like but even is Hauritz is right to bowl I don't want him ahead of Clark.

Lee stays on the sidelines until at least the 4th test. Johnson, being our spearhead and usually one of our best bowlers, can't be dropped because of one poor game and one decent game. If he fails again in the third test, and Lee is bowling well in the nets and fully fit, then I'd be for the swap. Even then I might be in favour of Hauritz though.

Nah, I leave that for cricsim. Anyway guys should Stuart Clark and Lee play in the next test? Who to replace?

Lee should play the 3rd test if he is fit. I'm not to sure on this, but don't the Aussie's have a tour game after the 2nd test?

If so, whomever bowls the best between Clark and Lee should rap up the 4th bowling spot, and if Johnson continues to bowl like crap he should start to feel some sort of pressure.

Lee should play the 3rd test if he is fit. I'm not to sure on this, but don't the Aussie's have a tour game after the 2nd test?

If so, whomever bowls the best between Clark and Lee should rap up the 4th bowling spot, and if Johnson continues to bowl like crap he should start to feel some sort of pressure.
I feel it should be Lee for Hauritz, and Clark and Watson to battle out for Johnson (who has played like ████ last TWO games), though I'd prefer Clark.

Hauritz to score a 70 ball century :cool:

I would enforce the follow on. Bowlers are fresh, getting wickets and have got momentum. Its not like the English middle order are playing with great confidence.

Yes there is a 10 day break between the tests and a warm up match. Even if Lee does not take a huge bag of wickets I would play him over Mitch. His form was outstanding in the practice matches, plus I would rather have him than someone who relies on bad shots to get their wickets.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing with the pitch at Lords, is that it seems to have gotten quicker and faster on the second day, which means by day 5 it might not actually be good to bat on! especially with the rain coming.

Users who are viewing this thread