4th Test: England v Australia at Leeds

I think we're still in it, just need the tail to wag for a couple of days

Tom Smith. Legend.

Now do people understand why i'm so pessimistic about England? I don't do it for effect, it's because we have this potential to be so unbelievably bad from absolutely nowhere.

Ftr;

Strauss
Trescothick
Moore (scored more against Australia this summer than the rest of our middle order ffs)
Hildreth
Collingwood
Trott
Prior
Swann
Anderson
Sidebottom
Onions

Failing that, play Tom Smith just for being Tom Smith.

Last edited:
I meant once this series has finished :p For The Oval I'd go with:

Strauss
Cook
Joyce
Collingwood
Trott
Prior
Flintoff

Won't happen though. We'll see:

Strauss
Cook
Bopara
Bell
Collingwood
Prior +
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Onions

Walk out at The Oval.

I just don't understand why cant they use a batsman like Ramparkash his been in the form off his life for the last few years. He could easily take Bopara's position. I'm not saying he would be a permanent fix but he would certainly help

They really just need a bloke who commits to the front foot and can resist a loose drive.

This looks like being the turning point of the series for me. With the momentum they've got from this game, I'm afraid I can see Australia winning at the Oval - and they're only going to need a draw. What went wrong? We've been outplaying Australia for large portions of this series.

This looks like being the turning point of the series for me. With the momentum they've got from this game, I'm afraid I can see Australia winning at the Oval - and they're only going to need a draw. What went wrong? We've been outplaying Australia for large portions of this series.

The unavailability of pietersen and flintoff and just poor team selection.

To be honest, I never felt Australia were being outplayed. I think the reason we're 1-0 has to do with us being bowled out for scores of 215 and 263 (credit to England, but we were playing rubbish shots) and the fact that we chose to dominate during rain affected matches, Cardiff and Edgbaston (I don't care what you say, we probably would have won that test). So really it's been much more even than what people think.

Aye, I wouldn't disagree with us being a bit lucky to be 1-0 up. I don't think we can go in to the Oval with Ravi and Bell. Either of them, really. Interesting mentions for Joyce, he hit a stunning 183 earlier in the week. We all know that Trott is in immense form.

I don't think Harmison has done owt special. I don't see Broad being dropped, Jimmy needs to get fit. Swann? He bowled okay today, no reward. The Oval will take spin towards the end and I think we have to have the option of a spinner.

Australia have clicked in this match and I think would have been a handful for any side. This may be perverse, but I've enjoyed their performance.

Dear God that was a dreadful performance.

Bell and Harmy don't deserve to play for England anymore. Ever. Broad should be dropped too, I don't care that he took 6 wickets. Bring him back for the weaker opposition and A team/Warmup games. Just keep him away from the Ashes. Collingwood is just not good enough a batsman. He wouldn't make any other nation's XI barring Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, and possible WI and NZ. He's a luxury to have in the order because he can produce those gritty, match saving innings, but not bowling lineup is going to truly fear him.

England need new batsman. Cook and Strauss are a good opening pair, not the best in the world but they'll get the job done. KP slots in well at 4. You can have Colly at 6 (Post-Freddie), and Prior at 7 with 4 bowlers. Now find 2 more batsmen who aren't rubbish and you're set. Surely England has 2 decent, Test-quality batsmen hidden somewhere?

What exactly was the point of Anderson being nightwatchman?

England's tactics have been all wrong. Strauss has done a poor job. The bowlers haven't fronted up and worst of all the batsmen have folded twice in a row. You feel that when they're missing Pietersen and Flint they don't have confidence.

And man, that North is some find. What a great start to a career. Aussies will hope he doesn't become a Mike Hussey.

England won't win the Ashes now. They've messed it up.

That Matt Prior drop off the last ball could be costly and may be the reason we might have to bat again.

To be honest, I never felt Australia were being outplayed. I think the reason we're 1-0 has to do with us being bowled out for scores of 215 and 263 (credit to England, but we were playing rubbish shots) and the fact that we chose to dominate during rain affected matches, Cardiff and Edgbaston (I don't care what you say, we probably would have won that test). So really it's been much more even than what people think.

It's not just me saying that, it's cricket pundits as well. As for winning at Edgbaston - I very much doubt it; and as for it being even, you've not been in it since Cardiff. That's how even it's been. :p

MasterBlaster76 added 1 Minutes and 43 Seconds later...

Aye, I wouldn't disagree with us being a bit lucky to be 1-0 up. I don't think we can go in to the Oval with Ravi and Bell. Either of them, really. Interesting mentions for Joyce, he hit a stunning 183 earlier in the week. We all know that Trott is in immense form.

I don't think Harmison has done owt special. I don't see Broad being dropped, Jimmy needs to get fit. Swann? He bowled okay today, no reward. The Oval will take spin towards the end and I think we have to have the option of a spinner.

Australia have clicked in this match and I think would have been a handful for any side. This may be perverse, but I've enjoyed their performance.

Harmison's done diddly-squat. We need to lose Bell and Bopara, but I'm not sure who to replace them with. We have to keep Swann - he's had a good series.

Users who are viewing this thread