Story A Managers Journey to the top - Notts Fall To Heavy Defeat Against Yorkshire

Nottinghamshire vs Worcestershire 3rd Day

Squads_Notts_v_Worc.jpg

After a good night's rest, we were ready to go for Day 3 of the match. Smith and Knappett resumed their innings for Worcestershire and Sidebottom was given the ball for the first over of the day. It was only 14 over's until the new ball so I told Voges to only give the pace bowlers a few overs before the new ball is taken.

So Sidebottom was opening the bowling on Day 3. Swann bowled from the other end. Patel dropped Knappett on 21 off Swann. Sidebottom was taken off after bowling 4 over's and Voges bowled himself again, with 6 over's to go until the new ball was available. We took the new ball straight away, Broad to bowl with it with Adams from the other end. It took 9 over's with the new ball to get the first wicket, Broad bowling out Knappett for 42. Batty was trapped in front by Broad for a 3 ball duck and it was 222/6. Voges took a screamer of a catch at second slip to give Broad his third wicket and Ali was out for 3. Lawson was given the ball for the first time in a long time to bowl his 7th over. Klokker dropped Smith in the last over of the session but we had to go in having them 250/7 at lunch. They needed 25 more runs to avoid the follow on.

Sidebottom was bowling after the break. Jones was finally dismissed for 16, bowled by Sidebottom and it was 265/8. Only 10 runs needed to avoid the follow on. Whelen was trapped in front by Swann and they were 9 down for 272, needing 3 runs to avoid the follow on. Everyone was in close for Arif with Swann still having 5 left in the over. We would have wanted to bowl as many deliveries to Arif as we could. Dot ball first up. Another dot. Only 2 left in the over. No runs so far. Played through the vacant square leg region for 2. Only 1 run needed to avoid the follow on. Played and missed. We would have wanted to bowl at Arif but Smith was on strike. Broad was bowling. Yes, a maiden. Great over from Broad. 2 good bouncers to start the over, it was. Swann bowling, 2 slips, a leg slip and 2 fielders at short leg in place. And they ran a quick single. They avoided the follow on. Smith finally fell for 92, trapped in front by Patel. They finished the innings, 284 all out.

Scorecard_NOT_v_WOR_2nd_Inn.jpg

There were 35 minutes left in the second session and Jefferson and Hales were at the crease. We battled through to tea, 21 without loss Jefferson and Hales both in double figures. Hales got out for 13, edging to second slip off Simon Jones. Jefferson went for 23 and we were now 2 wickets down. Voges and Patel were at the crease now. Voges was off the mark first ball with a beautiful boundary, driven through third man, just opening the face of the bat. Voges got out for 27, a few balls after hitting a big six, bowled by Whelan. Patel and Wagh battled through to the end of the day, Patel finishing on 47* with Wagh on 22* and it was 134/3 at stumps. We now leaded by 275 runs, the same position we were in after Day 2.

Scorecard_NOT_v_WOR_Day_3.jpg

Summary_Notts_v_WOR_Day_3.jpg

Your still in a commanding position, I would look to score some quickfire runs in the morning, before giving your self a chance to bowl them out.

Yeah. Was planning on batting for half a session or so and try and add around 75 extra runs and hopefully the pace bowlers will take some early wickets and I can finish them off before the end of play.

Nottinghamshire vs Worcestershire 4th Day

Squads_Notts_v_Worc.jpg

It was the final day of the match. We were in a good position and would hope to put on another 50-75 runs before giving our bowlers something to bowl at. Patel and Wagh resumed their innings for the day, Simon Jones to bowl the first over.

Patel brought up his fifty in the second over of the day which was good. Both batsman looked to attack and the lead was now 320 within 30 minutes. Patel was run out for 80, after the batsman tried a very risky single. Wagh went a few ball later, caught behind for 39. Swann was hitting out and got out for 17 off 13 and we declared, for 213/6 giving them 355 to win. There was still an hour left in the first session.

Scorecard_NOT_v_WOR_3rd_Inn.jpg

We were pretty safe and were likely to avoid defeat although it would not help us as the batsman would probably play more defensively. Ryan Sidebottom opened the bowling. Sidebottom struck in his fourth over, trapping Moore in front for 7 and it was 14/1. Solanki only made 2 before being sent back to the pavilion by Sidebottom. Adams was taken off after 4 over's for 17 runs for Stuart Broad. Broad took his first wicket in his third over, Davies caught at short leg by Adams for 27. They were 48/3 at lunch on Day 4, requiring 307 more for victory.

Broad continued after lunch and so did Sidebottom who was into his 9th over now and it was a good option, Smith edging to Voges who took a good catch at second slip for 4 and it was 51/4. Sidebottom was taken off after 11 over's and Lawson was brought on for the first time in the innings. Swann was also given the ball for the first time in the 26th over. Mitchell and Knappett started a comeback but Patel took the big wicket in his fifth over, Mitchell caught behind for 35 and it was now 125/5. They added 10 more runs before tea and we needed 5 wickets in the last session to win.

Sidebottom bowled to start off with after tea. Knappett continued going well and Batty was frustrating us, now surviving 60 balls for 15 runs. Broad was brought back on to try and take a breakthrough. Voges finally brought himself on and took the wicket of Batty first ball, sweeping to short leg for 28 and it was 180/6 with 45 minutes left in the session. We needed 4 wickets in the last 27 minutes. It was going to be tough. Broad took the wicket of Ali though, caught by Voges at second slip for 6. There was now 18 minutes left in the match to take 3 wickets. Simon Jones came to the crease. We got the wicket of Jones 3 over's later from the bowling of Lawson who was brought back on but it was probably a bit too late. 3 slips, 2 gullies, a short leg and a short mid wicket in place for the new batsman, Whelan. 2 over's left in the day to take 2 wickets. It would be very tough. Whelan went for 1 and it was now 1 wicket needed from 1 over. The new ball was taken. Knappett was on strike though. We had the field back a bit to allow Knappett the single. Since Sidebottom bowled the 80th over, Broad bowled the last over of the match. Knappett was looking to keep the strike though. We brought the field back in after 2 balls since Knappett wasn't going to look for a single. They batted out 5 dot balls when there were a few easy singles there and Knappett got a single off the last ball to give Worcestershire a draw and Voges was not happy with Knappett. Knappett finished 78* with Worcestershire finishing 208/9. I wasn't happy that we got so close to winning but I guess that's how cricket goes sometimes and lets just hope that we'll win the next match.

Scorecard_NOT_v_WOR_4th_Inn.jpg

Summary_Notts_v_WOR.jpg

Lol, guttered... So close to victory. :crying
I always find it tough, to decide when to declare in a situation like that.
You're never really sure how they're going to go about their chase, sometimes they just shut up shop, while other times they will play aggressively and chase down what you set them.
At least you got maximum bonus points, and the points for the draw.

Nice Story Mate.. KUTGW...

Not too many updates for this story until the summer holidays in around 2 weeks time. Then I'll be updating this regularly.

Lancashire vs Nottinghamshire 1st Day

Squads_LAN_v_Notts.jpg

After that unfortunate result in the last match, I was hoping we could grab a win in this match. Pattinson in for Lawson was the only change made to the side. I think we have a better chance in this game, looking better than the opposition on paper. Adam won the toss and elected to have a bat. It was looking like a good pitch to bat on. It looks like fine enough weather for the match other than the last day which we can expect a lot of showers.

Jefferson top edged behind in the first over to be dismissed for 3. I wasn't happy with that. Patel came to the crease now to bat at #3. He only lasted 1 over, trapped in front by Chapple for 1. Voges and Hales at the crease at 3/2. Hales only made 13 before getting out and we were playing very bad. Voges moved into the 20's. 1 hour gone in the first session and it was 50/3. Voges and Wagh nearly got us through to lunch but Voges got an edge to second slip with 8 minutes to go in the session to be out for 44. It was 94/4 at lunch. Wagh was on 21* with Klokker on 6*.

Wagh made 27 before getting out, bowled by Anderson and now Swann was at the crease. Klokker was then trapped in front from a yorker and it was 113/6. Swann made 10 but then got caught off Anderson. I wasn't happy at the team. Adams made 6 and I was pissed off at 129/8. Broad and Sidebottom put on a good partnership and Sidebottom had moved into the 30's. Sidebottom wasn't going to die wandering, bringing up his fifty from only 70 balls as the 200 was brought up, 8 wickets down still. We battled through to be 225/8 at tea, Sidebottom 54* with Broad on 34*, the partnership now worth 96.

Broad and Sidebottom brought up the 100 run partnership with a boundary by Stuart Broad, which took him to 39*. Sidebottom brought up his second six of the innings with a lofted shot over mid wicket. We got to 250 thanks to this partnership and Broad was getting close to fifty. Broad brought up his half century and it was an important one. Broad was dropped at slip on 51 off Anderson who was annoyed. The new ball was taken, with the score 270/8, Sidebottom 75* and Broad 58*. There was an hour left in the days play now. Sidebottom moved into the 80's heading for his first FC century. Broad and Sidebottom broke the 9th wicket partnership record bringing up 172, breaking J Adams and K Evans' partnership of 170. That also brought up the 300. Broad moved into the 80's and Sidebottom moved into the 90's both getting closer to that century. Stumps was called on day 1, the score 326/8, Sidebottom on 94* and Broad on 83* and the partnership now 197. What a comeback though. In trouble at 129/8 to be 326/8 at stumps.

Scorecard_NOT_v_LAN_Day_1.jpg

Holy crap, that is some amazing batting by Sidebottom and Broad. An all time record in just your second match, it normally takes me a couple of seasons before I even break one.
Reminds me of my most recent ODI match, that I will post in the great wins sometime.

It is only a 9th wicket partnership record though. Been an interesting start though. A very close match in my first FC match and a collapse followed by an alltime partnership record in my second FC match.

hedger_14 added 0 Minutes and 56 Seconds later...

And I was looking at my 2037 Nottinghamshire save and I had not broken 1 partnership record and only have beaten the highest individual score.

Great batting by Broad and Sidebottom! Would be good to see if they were both able to go on and make centuries.

Users who are viewing this thread