Alastair Cook & Stuart Broad - England's new headboys

I remember predicting that Strauss would retire from ODI's in the World Cup forum but got told off by War. Can I have my cookie now?.

Ha hey man this i aint no prediction game. I was just focused on what best for England future as a fan & making Cook & Broad captains aren't in anyway AFAIC.

This decision is so appalling i really am stunned the Flower setup would do this. He was going so well with his his decision in the last year, but since the horrendous brain-failure to drop Davies for Prior during the middle of ODIs in AUS - the dumb decision making has gone into over-drive it seems.

Ha hey man this i aint no prediction game. I was just focused on what best for England future as a fan & making Cook & Broad captains aren't in anyway AFAIC.

This decision is so appalling i really am stunned the Flower setup would do this. He was going so well with his his decision in the last year, but since the horrendous brain-failure to drop Davies for Prior during the middle of ODIs in AUS - the dumb decision making has gone into over-drive it seems.

Give Cook and broad a chance before you pass out judgement on whether this is an appalling decision etc etc. Yes, they're not my preferred options, but give them a fair go.

Give Cook and broad a chance before you pass out judgement on whether this is an appalling decision etc etc. Yes, they're not my preferred options, but give them a fair go.

Unfortunately i dont think their is no reason to give the selectors such a diplomatic stance & a benefit of the doubt my friend. As i mentioned before since the 1992 world-cup the ENG selectors have a habit of making truly appaling ODI selections - this just continues it. Only if ENG have a ODI record in the last 20 years like AUS, would i be willing to give this decision some leeway to see how it may go. But they dont - they just came off another abysmal world-cup performance (although to a degree injuries to key players affected the team balance this around compared to 96, 99, 03, 07) & the mistakes of the last 20 years haven't been learnt & your the preparation for world cup 2015 has started with a farce. Trying to pick test players do the job in limited overs job as openers, when potentially you got guys like Hales, Lumb, Kieswetter, Davies who are hitters/stroke players who should be tried & BACKED instead.

As it stands im totally against these appointments. Cook especially would just have to prove me & other critics wrong by turning into England's version of Amla.

Plus i hope captaincy doesn't affect Broad's game, i dont know since when he ever showed any captaincy nous at any stage of his youth to international career. If for whatever weird reasons they didn't want to give it to KP, how is Braod a better choice than Swann, who clearly is a more commanding & inspiration figure in the England set-up these days?. Im totally lost here.

----------

Whatever happened to Dimitri Masschrenas, btw?

IIRC him losing his place in the England ODI/T20 set-up was a weird & slightly complicated situation.

He never was able to translate his domestic batting form (domestic cricket he was supposedly good enough to bat @ 6/7) to international level. But @ international level he was basically a # 8. While his bowling was useful as a guy who could tie things down in the middle-overs (like what Mark Ealham did quite well back in the days) especially if the new-ball bowlers could get early breakthroughs.

But for him to have been a fixture in the ODI side, he needed Flintoff to be around today batting @ # 7 - while he could have batted @ # 8 in a XI like this:

Hales/Lumb
Kieswetter/Davies
Trott
KP
Morgan
Bopara
Flintoff
Mascarenhas
Bresnan
Swann
Broad

He would have fit into this role nicely. But after Flintoff quit that # 7 spot that bug ENG ODI side became an issue & thus other bits an pieces all-rounders like Wright, Bresnan, Yardy who where better batsmen than him got the nod over him in the last year, to try to cover that gaping hole left by Flintoff.

I'm sorry but Broad as captain?!! Thats absolutely crazy, seriously the ECB needs their heads checked or something. Thats pretty much saying stuff you to KP (who should have got it). What are they going to do when Broad throws another one of his tantrums??

Cook on the other hand was the ideal choice for ODI captain you'd have to think. I'm not sure why they wouldn't just make him the T20 captain anyway, T20 internationals hardly matter, maybe thats why they made Broad captain..

----------

I dont really understand all these captains giving it up anyway. I don't buy in to that 'I'm not going to be around in 4 years'. I mean come on you dont need four years to build a decent ODI team. I haven't even commented on Dilshan getting the Sri Lankan captaincy, thats even funnier than Broad getting the England role.

like seeing cook with the ODI captaincy, but more should have been done to keep Strauss as captain. Three captains, in three formats is going to bring instability, no matter how harmonious the transition between the leaders. Cook as ODI captain makes sense but he may be should have been given the Test role too. Strauss has done a great job but if he is stepping down from the ODI role then surely it is time for him to step down from the Test role too, not because he has not done well, but because the team needs the same leader in the two "bigger" formats.

Trying to pick test players do the job in limited overs job as openers, when potentially you got guys like Hales, Lumb, Kieswetter, Davies who are hitters/stroke players who should be tried & BACKED instead.

Like I said earlier, I definately think that Kiestwetter or Davies should be brought back for Prior. Dropping Davies during the ODI series in Australia was one of the daftest decisions I've seen.

I guess with Cook, they're grooming him for the future Test captaincy. Strauss is still playing well and his captaincy is good which two Ashes wins can testify. So they weren't going to drop Strauss as captain for Cook. So the next best place was in the ODI team and with Strauss dropping ODIs, it was the next best place to give Cook some captaincy experience.

I'm sorry but Broad as captain?!! Thats absolutely crazy, seriously the ECB needs their heads checked or something. Thats pretty much saying stuff you to KP (who should have got it). What are they going to do when Broad throws another one of his tantrums??

It's for the T20 team so no-one really cares.

This comes as a bit of a surprise for me. I expected KP to get the captaincy and one of Trott or Colly to get the vice-captaincy.
Thats the same as saying, for example Imrul Kayes and Shafiul Islam being the leaders of Bangladesh, not that I'm comparing them.

Last edited:
I guess with Cook, they're grooming him for the future Test captaincy. Strauss is still playing well and his captaincy is good which two Ashes wins can testify. So they weren't going to drop Strauss as captain for Cook. So the next best place was in the ODI team and with Strauss dropping ODIs, it was the next best place to give Cook some captaincy experience.

This is same kind of knee-jerk - looking the future approach that the Australian selectors took recently by having Clarke as T20 captain in so called "preparation to take over from Ponting as test skipper". When the entire AUS & world knew he wasn't a good enough T20 player. Which resulted as we all know in Clarke failing, other better T20 player being left out & Clarke eventually quiting.

Their is no need to rush Cook rise & grooming to the test captaincy, he is still only 26, likely has another decade in the England team. Just being vice-captain & having to be involved in decisions during a game, plus when Strauss gets injured him captaining in the odd test is good enough preparation for the time being. He has ALOT of time to learn/further.

England's ODI & test sides success/failures are two different worlds & need two different approaches.

It's for the T20 team so no-one really cares.

ferg512 said:
Cook on the other hand was the ideal choice for ODI captain you'd have to think. I'm not sure why they wouldn't just make him the T20 captain anyway, T20 internationals hardly matter, maybe thats why they made Broad captain.

T20 has a world-cup now. So why wouldn't people care?. Those international T20 in a series (although i think international schedules really need to stop just having 1 T20 per tour & treating them as exhibition matches, that is quite dumb, you need at least 2-3) are preparation towards finding your best T20 line-ups.

T20 has a world-cup now. So why wouldn't people care?. Those international T20 in a series (although i think international schedules really need to stop just having 1 T20 per tour & treating them as exhibition matches, that is quite dumb, you need at least 2-3) are preparation towards finding your best T20 line-ups.

Yeah, I meant those meaningless series they play each tour. There really is no point in them at all other than getting a few more crowd numbers. Apart from the T20 world cup the rest of twenty20 at international level is ridiculous. It's good how its done at domestic level with the tournaments, but its the kind of format where I dont really think a series would work. I think if they had a small tri series or something that could be quite interesting.

This is same kind of knee-jerk - looking the future approach that the Australian selectors took recently by having Clarke as T20 captain in so called "preparation to take over from Ponting as test skipper". When the entire AUS & world knew he wasn't a good enough T20 player. Which resulted as we all know in Clarke failing, other better T20 player being left out & Clarke eventually quiting.

In T20 you are expected to score at a million miles an hour whilst in the 50-over format, you have a bit more time to play yourself in get set and then at the end go at a million miles an hour, which will suit Cook well (except for the fast scoring at end bit).

I wonder if Cook will look to take a few more risks in his strokeplay in order to up his scoring rate. And if he does, will those shots slowly creep into his batting when he's playing Tests?

Users who are viewing this thread