Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

Chief, I remember you saying that the visuals would be revealed around February. And we are 3 months delayed already. And you do say that you would show us lots of videos. Like when do you expect to kickstart your campaign? I know you mentioned IPL as a reason but a few teams are falling down the table and much of the interest is moving towards the top teams. Shouldn't this be your way in?

I remember saying that I wouldn't *expect* that the visuals to be revealed until at *least* February... There is no 3 month delay!

I think that there's much more potential in the Champions Trophy as a "way in" to the campaign: I said football was still stealing a lot of attention of sports fans, and IPL was occupying the hardcore cricket fans... Soon all of them will be turning their attentions to the CT and the Ashes build-up.

I know you mentioned IPL as a reason but a few teams are falling down the table and much of the interest is moving towards the top teams. Shouldn't this be your way in?

Apparently not.
This whole thing is just getting ridiculous now. If people want to see something to justify saving up their money to buy it their ridiculed for it. And if you voice your opinions your ridiculed for that too.

----------

and IPL was occupying the hardcore cricket fans...

It doesn't mater how many times I read that. I just can't believe you put hardcore fan and ipl in the same sentence.

If people want to see something to justify saving up their money to buy it their ridiculed for it.
Serious question - would anything graphically they can post turn you around on the game?

Likewise, is there any particular thing you'd need to see in a trailer that would show to you that what you want out of the gameplay is there?

Considering they can't slip the release out without any videos/screenshots, if there was something being hidden, it's going to come out with enough time for you to cancel any pre-order.

Unless they bought ic2010 and see its the same company making it!
It will never be forgotten how ic2010 customers were left with their "broken" product.

General public would not know it is from the same company as the publisher is different now! For the general public out there IC2010 was made by codemasters and they would see 505 games on AC13.

I kind of agree with Chief.....from general public point of view it does matter if they release the screenshots and videos when the Ashes series' hype starts! Before that it is only us Fans that are craving for the screens and videos and sadly we constitute only 5-6% of the total cricket gaming population out there....even though our feedback constitutes atleast 70% of the feedback available out there :p

Unless they bought ic2010 and see its the same company making it!

Don't underestimate how far a few screens and gameplay trailers go. Look at what the cricket academy release did to the big ant thread! It lit it up. Look at your threads since its release. Anyway if you say there will be lots of videos before release then that's good enough for me. Just know that I won't part with my money because a poster advertised a game!

No-one is saying screens/trailers aren't important. But the timing is, and if you don't think there's any benefit in putting out stuff early, then why wouldn't you wait until it is as close to finished as possible and therefore the highest quality possible (IE actually reflective of the game)? Which is about the same time stuff is most likely to be approved by licensors, age-rating boards, platform holders and all that myriad of other things outside of the actual development of the game that have to happen.

----------

General public would not know it is from the same company as the publisher is different now! For the general public out there IC2010 was made by codemasters and they would see 505 games on AC13.

I kind of agree with Chief.....from general public point of view it does matter if they release the screenshots and videos when the Ashes series' hype starts! Before that it is only us Fans that are craving for the screens and videos and sadly we constitute only 5-6% of the total cricket gaming population out there....even though our feedback constitutes atleast 70% of the feedback available out there :p

Just because you agreed (kind of) with me, I will JUST THIS ONCE forgive you for making up statistics. :)
(FWIW, I would say your first figure is a very high estimate, and your second is a very low one :))

Last edited:
I think that there's much more potential in the Champions Trophy as a "way in" to the campaign: I said football was still stealing a lot of attention of sports fans, and IPL was occupying the hardcore cricket fans... Soon all of them will be turning their attentions to the CT and the Ashes build-up.

So I guess the advertising campaign would go into full swing at the end of May and through out June-July.

Serious question - would anything graphically they can post turn you around on the game?

Not graphically no. Graphics help boost the experience only slighty for me. I myself would like to have seen gameplay footage. Would like to see a few stokes from a batsman. A couple of deliveries from a bowler and maybe a little fielding animations. Added with some sort of on screen messages to tell of the games special features.
You see my whole problem with all this waiting is if big ant were to release their game just before ashes then I know which of the two I would get. And I want to see this ashes game become a success because I like chief and his honesty. So I want his game to succeed. But I can't afford to get both game potentially right on top of each other. And if others feel the same way, that's what I see as potentially damaging to this games sales figures.

----------

General public would not know it is from the same company as the publisher is different now! For the general public out there IC2010 was made by codemasters and they would see 505 games on AC13.:p

It was not made by codemasters. It was published by them. And if you look on game cases you can easily see that trickstar will have their name on both covers.

Just because you agreed (kind of) with me, I will JUST THIS ONCE forgive you for making up statistics.
Do you get much feedback from the general public who aren't major cricket fans? Does the game do anything to try and introduce cricket as a concept to an unfamiliar audience or to try and push people to try a test match in the Ashes mode who might otherwise just want to bash around sixes?

You see my whole problem with all this waiting is if big ant were to release their game just before ashes then I know which of the two I would get. And I want to see this ashes game become a success because I like chief and his honesty. So I want his game to succeed. But I can't afford to get both game potentially right on top of each other. And if others feel the same way, that's what I see as potentially damaging to this games sales figures.
Generally I'd say to that sort of thing to wait for both to release and read reviews, but against an unknown release date for the other game, that's potentially hard.

One positive for the Ashes game is that it's likely to get another publicity push around the time of the Australian home tests, so there's less chance of it being dead online a few months after release.

Just because you agreed (kind of) with me, I will JUST THIS ONCE forgive you for making up statistics. :)
(FWIW, I would say your first figure is a very high estimate, and your second is a very low one :))

Yeah I was being optimistic with the first one and modest in the second ;).

Since you consider us fans and not consumers why not give us some screens from the existing version of the game before the final ones are made!! We not only love to hear the nitty grittys of the development process but also love to see how the game evolves from the alpha to the final stage :p

On 16th may onwards the 1st test, England vs new zealand starts, so I guess we will be getting to see some footage of the game around that time :D

I strongly suggest a week before that. People will be excited about the Ashes already, as it nears, it will not only help in the build-up for the series, but probably keep gamers busy as well. But this should be for the gameplay vids, the screenshots should be up in mid may.

On 16th may onwards the 1st test, England vs new zealand starts, so I guess we will be getting to see some footage of the game around that time :D

I hope so.

----------

No-one is saying screens/trailers aren't important. But the timing is, and if you don't think there's any benefit in putting out stuff early, then why wouldn't you wait until it is as close to finished as possible and therefore the highest quality possible (IE actually reflective of the game)? Which is about the same time stuff is most likely to be approved by licensors, age-rating boards, platform holders and all that myriad of other things outside of the actual development of the game that have to happen.[C

I just have to say chief, close to finished. That is a strange thing to say with less than 7 weeks to go. The graphics should be finished by now.
On dates in may for reveal, I bet chief can not say as if he did say 15 of may and nothing happened all, the backlash on here would be well hell for him.
To end this can you say sometime in may to ease are minds.

I hope so.

----------

No-one is saying screens/trailers aren't important. But the timing is, and if you don't think there's any benefit in putting out stuff early, then why wouldn't you wait until it is as close to finished as possible and therefore the highest quality possible (IE actually reflective of the game)? Which is about the same time stuff is most likely to be approved by licensors, age-rating boards, platform holders and all that myriad of other things outside of the actual development of the game that have to happen.[C

I just have to say chief, close to finished. That is a strange thing to say with less than 7 weeks to go. The graphics should be finished by now.
On dates in may for reveal, I bet chief can not say as if he did say 15 of may and nothing happened all, the backlash on here would be well hell for him.
To end this can you say sometime in may to ease are minds.

I didn't say that they weren't finished... It was all hypothetical.

I said very early on that I wouldn't answer firmly on anything I didn't have control over: That backlash I do NOT need. :) I appreciate this is frustrating for you sometimes, but you already have a level of visability and insight very rarely offered on this sort of thing... I know the waiting is hard, and that sometimes they are not the answers you'd like, but I appreciate all your feedback.

I'm in a financial position to buy both games, and I will... however, I know many others aren't. If you can only to commit to one, then your BEST cause of action, is simply to wait for reviews and online feedback. No amount of screenshots or videos should make one iota of difference to your purchase. Patience, is your best weapon if thats your situation. Simply wait for others to actually get their hands on and play the game... then make an informed decision. Let public feedback and reviews guide your money towards the right product...

...as it stands, we haven't got a release date for Big Ant at all, so anything else is just guess work. Should it be that they both come out around the same time, then if you can only commit to one purchase, just wait for the experts around PlanetCricket to weigh in with their reviews and feedback and MOST importantly, see which game the community supports mod-wise.

Or, skip a couple of coffee's for a few weeks and grab em both!

Users who are viewing this thread