Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

@Chief :

I posted this in the other thread yesterday.

Ok this one is of high priority if tests or rather any match in the game has to be realistic.

In AC09, I would often play against Sri Lanka (wanted to play spinners on Kolkata pitch) with 3 spinners in the line-up and only 2 pacers. But every time, AI would bring in Jayawardhane (Slow Medium) before he would go for the spinners. Same undue preference to Mediums could be seen with Hussey for Australia as well.

Also, on the same note, the distribution of overs in a limited-overs game is also pretty hard-coded. Would have loved to see an active captain rotating around his bowlers, using 6~7 of them or at times open with a spinner. The possibilities are unlimited.

@Chief:
Have you guys considered this as of now? Is it on the to-do list?

The first part of your question is the sort of question that, if I knew, I wouldn't be able to answer due to non-disclosure agreements: if it's not public knowledge it's not my place to reveal. However, in this case I can tell you that I genuinely don't know: I know only what I've read on PC about that, and I wouldn't even be able to speculate in a meaningful way.

On the second question, there's some different perspectives to take into account:
As a player, online isn't actually all that important to me personally, as there are very few console games that I actually play online (PES and Red Dead Redemption the only recent ones I can think of, and even those were generally with 3 or 4 of my close friends, and THEN only when there was a reason we couldn't do it in person...)

From a development point of view, being completely honest, it's *hugely* expensive and laborious to code and test, and frankly it's budget I'd MUCH rather be able to spend elsewhere, concentrating on making the best game possible. To add to that frustration we can track how many people actually play the game online, compared to how many buy it, and the figures speak for themselves: it's a very small fraction.

However, and here's the good news for you from what you've said, from a marketing and sales point of view the perception is that it is absolutely crucial: It's a expectation of the age and I can't imagine any scenario where anyone would entertain releasing a game (and definitely a sports game!) without it. People would see its absence as a huge minus if it was not there (and that would include reviews etc), even if what WAS there was a much better experience for its omission.

Hi Chief

Sorry to go over old ground, but was recently thinking how much I enjoyed playing Ashes 09 online. I was really excited about playing IC10 online but as the original poster commented here the online was basically broken( on Ps3) and disconnected during every game.

It completely ruined the game for me, it might just be that I'm a bit thick but I don't understand your reply to this post. Are you saying you didn't know the online was broken soon after release. And if you did know, what was the reason it was not fixed with DLC.

I know you say online isn't important for the majority of players, but it is for me. And if I feel the same level of neglect for online will be present for this game then I won't buy it.

Can you give us any assurances that online play will be tested for the problems IC10 had. And if there are problems will your team attempt to fix with DLC.

If I remember rightly we had this sort of interaction with you right up to the launch of IC10 then it all went dead after game launch.

Sorry for going over old ground, just don't want to be gutted again because a potentially great online game is spoilt with the same problems

Hi Chief

Sorry to go over old ground, but was recently thinking how much I enjoyed playing Ashes 09 online. I was really excited about playing IC10 online but as the original poster commented here the online was basically broken( on Ps3) and disconnected during every game.

It completely ruined the game for me, it might just be that I'm a bit thick but I don't understand your reply to this post. Are you saying you didn't know the online was broken soon after release. And if you did know, what was the reason it was not fixed with DLC.

I know you say online isn't important for the majority of players, but it is for me. And if I feel the same level of neglect for online will be present for this game then I won't buy it.

Can you give us any assurances that online play will be tested for the problems IC10 had. And if there are problems will your team attempt to fix with DLC.

If I remember rightly we had this sort of interaction with you right up to the launch of IC10 then it all went dead after game launch.

Sorry for going over old ground, just don't want to be gutted again because a potentially great online game is spoilt with the same problems

I left the IC10 project at the Alpha stage, so before testing had begun in earnest. So what happened beyond that is speculation, but the game would have been fully tested by both publisher and platform holder before release: the issue would not have been known about when launching.

In terms of assurances for AC13, 505 Games are very committed to Cricket. They have an excellent team and their track record of post-release support seems good: Sniper Elite 2, for example, has had several patches and DLC. There is nothing that would suggest they won't support the title.

I left the IC10 project at the Alpha stage, so before testing had begun in earnest. So what happened beyond that is speculation, but the game would have been fully tested by both publisher and platform holder before release: the issue would not have been known about when launching.

In terms of assurances for AC13, 505 Games are very committed to Cricket. They have an excellent team and their track record of post-release support seems good: Sniper Elite 2, for example, has had several patches and DLC. There is nothing that would suggest they won't support the title.

Oh I see, that makes sense, feel a lot happier knowing that, thanks cheif.

...You do NOT want me to be filling time with musical numbers.

$10 has your name on it if you can get the first verse and chorus of "Modern Major General"...

$10 has your name on it if you can get the first verse and chorus of "Modern Major General"...

Ha. I can do you tune, but beyond "I am the very model of a modern major general", it will be largely ad-libbed.

There's not been all that many questions though, so it may come to that.

----------

I think Chief is more Rodgers and Hammerstein than Gilbert and Sullivan. Could be wrong...

No, you'd be right. :)

Well... If you are the very model of said modern major general, you may have...

....information animal and vegetable, you know the kings of England and can quote their fights; Historical. From Marathon to Waterloo in order categorical...*

*Non Googled, I think that makes me a terribly sad person.

I'll put together a question or two, if only to save us from more of this incriminating banter.

Well... If you are the very model of said modern major general, you may have...

....information animal and vegetable, you know the kings of England and can quote their fights; Historical. From Marathon to Waterloo in order categorical...*.

I had a go, but I can't even hold the tune: Every time I just segue into the Tom Lehrer song about the Periodic Table. Sorry.

We want screenshots! We want screenshots! :D

Are the AI bowlers going to bowl realistically in this game? I believe this is a problem with every cricket game I have played. The AI needs to bowl quality spells,if I can't hit in on the offside they should keep bowling there with a field that reflects that(we saw a little of that in AC09. But it more affected where I hit the ball rather than the bowlers line and length). I want to see the England cricket team bowl at my offstump with swing and being afraid of edging or getting LBW. When I bowl I feel like I don't get rewarded for bowling realistically and have to bowl very full.

For this game to be considered decent, the bowling has to be fun and very rewarding...

^ this + 'real life' like bowling speeds and bounce(atleast on hard mode). It looks very bad when a fast bowler's delivery appear slower than a medium pacer's and 140+km/hr is shown as the bowling speed.

Users who are viewing this thread