Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

For once I wouldn't mind a cheating AI on say "Legend" mode. to make the game more competitive.

Ridiculous idea, why would you want the game to cheat?! If it got you out by cheating then you would be moaning that its unfair!

----------

The issue is how does the AI become "hardcore"... hard to that without having the AI cheat (ie do superhuman things the player cannot - we try to have AI that can only do what you can do).

Unless I'm missing something, can't it be that the hardest difficulty simply takes 95% of catches, places excellent fields, bowl and bat as well as those players could do for long spells..............it doesn't need to "cheat" to be good as all those thing are possible for us to do. It's just that it would be extremely hard to do so. :thumbs

Ridiculous idea, why would you want the game to cheat?! If it got you out by cheating then you would be moaning that its unfair!

Agreed. The main frustration I had with both Ashes 09 and IC2010 was that even if I bowled a perfect line and length the AI would randomly produce an impossible shot. Made me want to throw the controller away.

Agreed. The main frustration I had with both Ashes 09 and IC2010 was that even if I bowled a perfect line and length the AI would randomly produce an impossible shot. Made me want to throw the controller away.

^This^

Seriously Dutch, how many maidens did you bowl on both those games? For me I'm guessing a dozen at most.

Last edited:
^This^

Seriously Dutch, how many maidens did you bowl on both those games? For me I'm guessing a dozen at most.

Not many. It just didnt feel I could play against the AI using cricketing tactics. At a certain point a switch would be flicked somewhere in the code and the CPU decided it needed some runs and went and got them. Ruined bowling for me. I still had good games but they it was more that certain passages of play were acceptable rather than a whole match. Batting could only be done by giving yourself artificial rules: I went back to the game. Played a test match and batted and decided just to slog everything.....Strauss and Cook put on 172 in 6 or 7 overs. Then I decided never to touch it again.

It's like "catch up" in racing games... Motorstorm - almost lap cars then you crash once to watch them drive past you :mad:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad

Cannot stand cheating AI! Arghhh!

No throw to end appears for this kind of shots, and the fielders'll run as slow as they can and somehow will let the ball go for four. But once the throw to end appears, be certain that the fielder will stop the ball, regardless of the timing...

Also, in AC 09, the output you get from the AI seemed to weigh more than it should have, on the limited inputs we give it... Like you don't execute the ball perfectly, and it'll be harder to catch the ball, fielders tend to be slower, etc... This can be my imagination too - but it seemed to happen many times...

The issue is how does the AI become "hardcore"... hard to that without having the AI cheat (ie do superhuman things the player cannot - we try to have AI that can only do what you can do).

I just used hardcore as an example term, but seeing as most games have difficulty levels of easy, medium and hard so can't they add one more to it?

I just used hardcore as an example term, but seeing as most games have difficulty levels of easy, medium and hard so can't they add one more to it?
Because you have to test everything for bugs and the more variables you add the harder that is. Especially considering the starting point.

Because you have to test everything for bugs and the more variables you add the harder that is. Especially considering the starting point.

Okay then just make easy and medium difficulty for the masses and have hard difficulty for people who want a realistic game :)

We can certainly change a few things to make things harder for player when playing against AI. For e.g.,

Make players more prone to fatigue,players stamina should increase at slower rate,intelligent field placement by AI ,Or maybe something similar to "BODYLINE".

Last edited:
Not many. It just didnt feel I could play against the AI using cricketing tactics. At a certain point a switch would be flicked somewhere in the code and the CPU decided it needed some runs and went and got them. Ruined bowling for me.

Agreed - in a 50 over ODI if the first over of innings you bowl is a maiden, I guarantee at least one 6 hit would be played by AI in second over

Happened every single time :rolleyes

Agreed - in a 50 over ODI if the first over of innings you bowl is a maiden, I guarantee at least one 6 hit would be played by AI in second over

Happened every single time :rolleyes

For me what's more annoying is that AI gets those sixes or boundaries through impossible shots. You give them yorkers & they hook it for six.

Ashes 09 and IC 10 were basically darts games when bowling. There was no strategy to it, you simply had to bowl in the green zones, being yorkers, a good length and bouncers. Anything else would get smashed on hard mode, even if they would have been good balls in real life.

Users who are viewing this thread