Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

I think 2013 is a very good year to be realeasing a new cricket game what with the ICC Champions Trophy in England as well as the Ashes.

I'm guessing the release date will be somewhere near early july maybe?

Batting and Bowling should be more realistic..This is the key for the successful gameplay experience...my few suggestions are

Swing and pace movement should be more realistic. All the bowlers should hav specific type of swing (OutSwinger, InSwinger, Straighter) if the bowler having outswinger quality the batsman can play their shot accordingly but they can able to bowl inswinger at some point of time. at that time the batsman having more skills can able to play asusual if not the ball should go to the keeper or outside edge or inside edge.. but in all the cricket games batsman can play their shots easily. this should not happen...same as spin bowlers

Yo chief,

Whats happened to the weekly question time, should it have been called monthly, we want some news dude, don't leave us hanging.:(

I know! I recorded it a couple of weeks ago: a good 15mins of ramblings. But I didn't count on the actual setup taking so long: like where to host it, RSS it, iTunes it etc etc...

We're almost there with all of that and, now we know how, it should be quicker from now on! Apologies for delay!

Hey Chief, just wanted to say as an old member I've just become aware of this project and had a look at your first video and I've got to say you guys certainly are talking the right stuff.

I'm sure a lot of people on here will disagree but we shouldn't expect it all to be spot on first time, the timescale seems quite short and obviously some things will have to get overlooked.

I was just wondering if you had thought about implementing an AI system which is flexible to the player? For example a 'slog' mode for those with a shorter attention span who will try and hit 15-20 runs and over and thus the AI will, a 'one day' mode for those who will try and score at 8-15 runs an over and a 'test' AI where the AI is must more restricted and take their time with batting but also it becomes harder to score.

Might be a stupid idea and would definitely be too soon for release on this game but it seems a better idea that Easy, Medium and Hard. Maybe even these could be implemented within the suggested categories.

I was just wondering if you had thought about implementing an AI system which is flexible to the player? For example a 'slog' mode for those with a shorter attention span who will try and hit 15-20 runs and over and thus the AI will, a 'one day' mode for those who will try and score at 8-15 runs an over and a 'test' AI where the AI is must more restricted and take their time with batting but also it becomes harder to score..

What you describe is just the very essence of those formats anyway. T-20 being more hit every ball. 50 overs for those with a bit more skill and patience than t-20 fans. And test cricket for the people that want a true test of patience, skill and tactics. Just a better more creative ai will fix this. See no reason to call hard mode "test mode"

What you describe is just the very essence of those formats anyway. T-20 being more hit every ball. 50 overs for those with a bit more skill and patience than t-20 fans. And test cricket for the people that want a true test of patience, skill and tactics. Just a better more creative ai will fix this. See no reason to call hard mode "test mode"

Some people will want to play a test match and smash the ball around. Theres no point you getting all out 500 in 35 overs if the AI then bats for 2 days to get 370. Likewise some people will bat out for 2 days getting a 450 but then you dont want the AI smashing you for 10 an over.

Id propose that having difficultirs within each 'style' would just increase your liklihood of oicking up wickets and getting punished, whilst batting wise the ball would mot carrymas well unless the ball was either perfectly hit or well in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Chief

I've been playing Ricky Ponting Cricket 2005 a fair bit lately (I'm on holidays) and two things that have irritated me are
- AI running: often the AI won't take singles that they should
- Field placements: having 5 slips in a 10 over match is very unrealistic. Also the standard field options. Whenever I play a cricket game I always think "who on earth came up with these?". Fielders in strange positions etc.

So was just wondering what you guys are doing to avoid things like this?

Does the AI(in tests) make adjustments for the fields if we are 9 down and have a batsman trying to defend the first 4 balls and take a single of the last two and vice versa?

I think 2013 is a very good year to be realeasing a new cricket game what with the ICC Champions Trophy in England as well as the Ashes.

I'm guessing the release date will be somewhere near early july maybe?

Can't confirm a release window, but with it being the official game of the Ashes Series, I'd think that sometime June and July would be a smart bet. :thumbs

----------

Hi Chief

I've been playing Ricky Ponting Cricket 2005 a fair bit lately (I'm on holidays) and two things that have irritated me are
- AI running: often the AI won't take singles that they should
- Field placements: having 5 slips in a 10 over match is very unrealistic. Also the standard field options. Whenever I play a cricket game I always think "who on earth came up with these?". Fielders in strange positions etc.

So was just wondering what you guys are doing to avoid things like this?

Fielding is something we'll be talking about soon, and one of the many things we're hoping that some of you fine PlanetCricket guys can help us refine. More details to follow on that in the new year...

Speaking of fielding, we need to be able to place what field we like without being able to 'break' the AI. Most of the time, there's a field setting you can use that the AI just doesn't know how to get round and/or keeps getting out to.

Speaking of fielding, we need to be able to place what field we like without being able to 'break' the AI. Most of the time, there's a field setting you can use that the AI just doesn't know how to get round and/or keeps getting out to.

This is basically because there's only so much tweaking and testing you can do: manual field settings opened all SORTS of cans of worms whereby crazy positions could be set (much easier to test a given set of fields) and to train the AI to play AGAINST that many field variations is very hard indeed: there's always exploits (as there are in all sports games I've played: it's just a case of finding them!)

Best way as a player to avoid this is not to set crazy fields: our QA guys took great pleasure in setting 7 or 8 slips just to break it and then send me videos making the game look silly. It's hard. :-)

A delicate balance: I think if we'd have had better default field positions it would have been less of an issue, and it's definitely something we've got some ideas on how to address this time.

A delicate balance: I think if we'd have had better default field positions it would have been less of an issue, and it's definitely something we've got some ideas on how to address this time.

Yep just let me do it - been editing defaults fields in cricket games since BLC 99 :p

I just hope we don't see the fields from ic2010 in ashes 2013.
If i'm 0 for 200 the ai should not have lots of slips, if i'm 8 for 50 then
sure lots. Balance is the key, also chief please make sure if we get
near 100 the ai tries to dry up the runs and makes us hit over the
field like shane warne 99 did if i remember.

Also if people want to cheat they will always find a way.:D

Users who are viewing this thread