Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

I had staff there in 2007 - 2008, from memory it was for Ashes however perhaps I am mistaken, I'll go back and check my emails from the time - I know the game was delayed more than a year.

EDIT: They also got the source for BLIC but made a fatal decision to build their own game.

When you say that, do you mean they had the BLIC code from 05/07 and scrapped it to build Ashes 2009?

Or was Ashes 2009 built on the old BLIC games and then they scrapped that all for Ashes 2013?

I just went on YouTube and watched some footage of BLIC 2007. It had some of the worst AI you could imagine (at least BLIC 2005 was playable and enjoyable) but the ground textures, crowd and stadiums looked decent and at least much better than the Ashes 2013 screenshots, which is an inditement on a game that's 6 years newer.

----------

I bet this is how bigant cricket started in the end. PS Someone in the office goes, we helped them trickstar boys make a cricket game, well we could also do that and make it a hell of a lot better game. Pulling the carpet from under there feet. :thumbs

Ross has said that their cricket game has been in development for longer. He even told me about it at the AFL Live playdemos that were barely after IC 2010 was released in Australia.

ASHES 2013 sure, I was talking about ashes 2009. I bet someone must have said something in the past. PS anyway I was not trying to have a go at you, just saying they have taken the market for granted and now they will pay.:D

When I say no, I do mean it... regardless of what you mean.

As in, what you suggest did not happen.

Ok like I said before I am not trying to annoy you, just saying the idea for a cricket game must have come by someone. What ever year that happened.

Ok like I said before I am not trying to annoy you, just saying the idea for a cricket game must have come by someone. What ever year that happened.

Well it is our national summer sport and Big Ant makes sport games.

Not tricky to put 2 and 2 together :D

Well it is our national summer sport and Big Ant makes sport games.

Not tricky to put 2 and 2 together :D

True, I do think I annoyed him with my guessing as that was all it is to be honest. PS sorry about that, also bigant goal just like there other sport games is to make the best ever cricket game and all signs are pointing to this happening soon.

Still Ross is a business man and no one wants to be second, top dog is always more fun. Ashes 2013 now your next move. PS wait and do nothing like normal.:eek:

When you say that, do you mean they had the BLIC code from 05/07 and scrapped it to build Ashes 2009?

Or was Ashes 2009 built on the old BLIC games and then they scrapped that all for Ashes 2013?

I just went on YouTube and watched some footage of BLIC 2007. It had some of the worst AI you could imagine (at least BLIC 2005 was playable and enjoyable) but the ground textures, crowd and stadiums looked decent and at least much better than the Ashes 2013 screenshots, which is an inditement on a game that's 6 years newer.

----------

Ross has said that their cricket game has been in development for longer. He even told me about it at the AFL Live playdemos that were barely after IC 2010 was released in Australia.

They had all prior source from Codie's, from all of their releases.

I had been wanting to make a Cricket game for many years, we waited until no one else was making one and then let everyone know... It has always been our intention to "own" the market via a quality proposition.

Then trickstar told the world they were making a cricket game right. PS did you know they were making a cricket game before us being your office is near there's.

They had all prior source from Codie's, from all of their releases.

I had been wanting to make a Cricket game for many years, we waited until no one else was making one and then let everyone know... It has always been our intention to "own" the market via a quality proposition.

Why do you think they didn't use the previous code? Since they were looking for an easy crash grab based on the licensing, why not just take IC 2010, add the Ashes tournament, remove the fielding and add their beloved "randomisation"? It'd have been far easier and resulted in a product arguably better than what they're producing now.

If you think they missed their release because they were planning things for DLC you're way off the mark. Moving stuff to DLC ought to move release forward not set it back.
They've been struggling to build anything as good as Ashes 09 in the timescale and with the resources they've got. For whatever reason good design went by the wayside and the result seems to be a game that has such major flaws that despite showing a "working" version in May they still can't release it 2 months later.
Personally I wish Trickstar had bought the IC10 code base then they would have been making improvements during this development cycle instead of re-inventing the wheel.
I don't know how it all went so wrong for them but I think the hard deadline of June 21st was always a much bigger problem than a rival game. I'm sure in the design phase DRS, scoop shots and probably even career mode were mentioned but their main focus has always been trying to get a basic working game out for the Ashes.

No sorry m8, I meant after they missed their release date, not sure why, Big Ant showed a far superior game with plenty more features so 505 decided to cram everything in as DLC to compensate.

Good source says retailers told end of August.

Every time they say the date is a month or more means not passed submission in my opinion

Not much point seeing as the ashes will be all but over and your game will have released by then ;)

Every time they say the date is a month or more means not passed submission in my opinion

Good chance to have your game out before them then.....AWESOME!!!!

Why do you think they didn't use the previous code?
I'm sure it's somewhat difficult to just pick up another developer's codebase and work with it. Plus there's general public feedback to consider - if the previous game in the series is good, you'll talk up any connection to it - if it isn't, you'll distance yourself from it.

After BLIC2007, if I had heard Codemasters were building off that for their next release, then I'd come in with very low expectations. Hearing they are starting again does make you have some hope that things will be better this time around.

The problem is that it seems like it will always be the next cricket game that will be the one that finally makes good on the promises that starting again put into the design.

However I've heard from someone who would know, that the benefits of starting with code that has passed submissions in the past outweighs having to figure out the existing code.

Users who are viewing this thread