Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

I can answer your question, The game will be realistic at they have "built if from scratch" :p:p:p:p

But they haven't built it from scratch, they're using Unity3d. You can download it yourself too at Unity - Game Engine. By made it from scratch they mean they didn't just directly build on Ashes and IC10

The free version actually has most of the features you'd want as a beginner. There is a large online community, plenty of tutorials and lots of assets to download (free and paid).

They also have a showcase of popular games made with Unity and you'll see that they are essentially all arcade games. Good arcade games, sure, but very few top-notch "big" games.

The advantage of Unity is that a single game can be compiled on many different platforms: PC, 360, Wii, PS3, Android, iPhone, Mac, Linux (I think)

BUT for this game all we want is PC, 360 and PS3 and the PS3 version of Unity is still in beta, which would likely explain many of their problems. They're also making a Wii U version and I'm not sure how well Unity supports that but it couldn't be better than the PS3. It really does seem like the move to Unity has hurt them and I don't yet see the benefit. Mobile versions? No iPad or mobile can run a full console game yet anyway so you'd only get a simplified version (if that's possible).

Fellow PC member just have a look at what Donko 1982 sent me on the ashes 2013 forum.:lol

Ashes is so boring its Luke watching paint dry
Cricket79 u retart you think test cricket is bigger then your own head.

I have not edited it to leave it in its full glory.
Now Mr donko, if you like IPL that's fine as you can like anything you like but I am not a member of ashes 2013 forum, sure I visit it from time to time to see how the kitchens/Nike shoes are selling but that's it.

Now please tell yourself way say bad things about the ashes on a ashes forum.:facepalm If you don't like the ashes go play all the IPL games out there.:p

PS Also if you are going to tease me please do it right, have lessons from lee1981 or Gone4ADuck.;)

:lol :lol .. hahaha.. (no offence to Donko, 79C gave me the laugh) ;) ...

Yeah I laughed for about 5 minutes when I first found this masterpiece. Still he is allowed to like what he likes in the end. Even if that like is something like the IPL( International Phony League) then that's fine. PS Now back to the game, where is mike or chief.

PS Mike can you talk about the AI at all. Thanks.

Yeah I laughed for about 5 minutes when I first found this masterpiece. Still he is allowed to like what he likes in the end. Even if that like is something like the IPL( International Phony League) then that's fine. PS Now back to the game, where is mike or chief.

PS Mike can you talk about the AI at all. Thanks.

It's 9am on a Sunday morning down under. They need to turn on the coffee machine before they can turn on Ashes 2013.

It's 9am on a Sunday morning down under. They need to turn on the coffee machine before they can turn on Ashes 2013.

coffee machine turned on..... coffee made.... Ashes cricket off.

Monday: Coffee machine turned on.... coffee made.... ashes cricket still off.... and it goes on until maybe september.....:p

I think what he meant was, they will stick to hawkeye only as they have the license for that. Hotspot will not feature in the game.

----------

Oh alright. Fair question.

Hi Guys, I am here, just been busy watching the cricket :yes

You are correct as earlier stated by Chief we don't have 'hotspot" in the game.

On the editing of the England & Australian teams the Ashes license does not allow for this.

----------

Where has Mike Fegan disappeared now? Hope we'll see him sometime today or maybe tomorrow. :p

Just enjoying the Ashes test coverage at night and sleeping in on weekend mornings for a change :)

Hi Guys, I am here, just been busy watching the cricket :yes

You are correct as earlier stated by Chief we don't have 'hotspot" in the game.

On the editing of the England & Australian teams the Ashes license does not allow for this.

We are aware of this but we all want to know why. It was like this in 2009 too.

When you got the Ashes licence, let's say for the first time back before 2009, they would have said "but the players cannot be edited". Surely your company wouldn't have just said "okay" but would have at least asked for a reason why. Why is the CA and ECB licence so restrictive when pretty much all other sporting bodies so not impose such a thing?

But they haven't built it from scratch, they're using Unity3d. You can download it yourself too at Unity - Game Engine. By made it from scratch they mean they didn't just directly build on Ashes and IC10

The free version actually has most of the features you'd want as a beginner. There is a large online community, plenty of tutorials and lots of assets to download (free and paid).

They also have a showcase of popular games made with Unity and you'll see that they are essentially all arcade games. Good arcade games, sure, but very few top-notch "big" games.

The advantage of Unity is that a single game can be compiled on many different platforms: PC, 360, Wii, PS3, Android, iPhone, Mac, Linux (I think)

BUT for this game all we want is PC, 360 and PS3 and the PS3 version of Unity is still in beta, which would likely explain many of their problems. They're also making a Wii U version and I'm not sure how well Unity supports that but it couldn't be better than the PS3. It really does seem like the move to Unity has hurt them and I don't yet see the benefit. Mobile versions? No iPad or mobile can run a full console game yet anyway so you'd only get a simplified version (if that's possible).

Good summary on Unity3D but why we moved from our own proprietary game engine to use Unity as a middleware solution will be revealed in coming weeks.

When you got the Ashes licence, let's say for the first time back before 2009, they would have said "but the players cannot be edited". Surely your company wouldn't have just said "okay" but would have at least asked for a reason why. Why is the CA and ECB licence so restrictive when pretty much all other sporting bodies so not impose such a thing?

Sorry I can't speak on behalf of the ECB or CA.

I am losing my faith in this game :(

no updates, i just read one thing "all will be revealed in coming weeks"

it's almost been a week since you are here, and i thought you were here to answer our questions but i simple read a Automatic post just like in twitter, disappointing specially from a company which has made cricket games before

I am losing my faith in this game :(

no updates, i just read one thing "all will be revealed in coming weeks"

it's almost been a week since you are here, and i thought you were here to answer our questions but i simple read a Automatic post just like in twitter, disappointing specially from a company which has made cricket games before

Sorry to frustrate you but I really don't want to show off anything until it is ready. I have already shot myself in the foot by rushing stuff out that isn't done so I'm afraid you have to be patient a little longer but please keep the faith.

And wasn't like that in Cricket 07 - which I think provides a very good model for a cricket game using the Ashes licence (apart from gameplay, lack of online, graphics, etc). Using the in game editor you can't edit the existing player models (you can rename in the squad editor), but you can create new ones, insert them into the Australia/England squads replacing the existing players (so you could make the 'current' team that way if you really wanted) - and then they get included in the squad that plays.

Even better is the Ashes tour is actually the tour - when you play the 2007 Ashes as England, the first match isn't the first test - it's the tour match against the PM's XI - as it should be.

There are some restrictions - you get unlicensed names for the otherwise licensed players in the World XI - which is how they handled the situation like the fake IPL teams in IC2010 and presumably this game. Though the game lets you both rename that player to the correct name or even manually insert the correct licensed player into the team to replace the unlicensed one, even if you couldn't I would rather be able to play with a fake name than to have them siloed off.

This flexibility and depth doesn't seem as restrained by the licences for Australia/England that Cricket 07 had. I can't see how it totally changed for 2009, or even now.

Users who are viewing this thread