Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

And wasn't like that in Cricket 07 - which I think provides a very good model for a cricket game using the Ashes licence (apart from gameplay, lack of online, graphics, etc). Using the in game editor you can't edit the existing player models (you can rename in the squad editor), but you can create new ones, insert them into the Australia/England squads replacing the existing players (so you could make the 'current' team that way if you really wanted) - and then they get included in the squad that plays.

Even better is the Ashes tour is actually the tour - when you play the 2007 Ashes as England, the first match isn't the first test - it's the tour match against the PM's XI - as it should be.

There are some restrictions - you get unlicensed names for the otherwise licensed players in the World XI - which is how they handled the situation like the fake IPL teams in IC2010 and presumably this game. Though the game lets you both rename that player to the correct name or even manually insert the correct licensed player into the team to replace the unlicensed one, even if you couldn't I would rather be able to play with a fake name than to have them siloed off.

This flexibility and depth doesn't seem as restrained by the licences for Australia/England that Cricket 07 had. I can't see how it totally changed for 2009, or even now.

Cricket 07 had the whole eng and aus license including their domestic teams. . But ashes 09/13 just have ashes license that's why u can't use them anywhere else I guess! Maybe Mike could tell us more

And wasn't like that in Cricket 07 - which I think provides a very good model for a cricket game using the Ashes licence (apart from gameplay, lack of online, graphics, etc). Using the in game editor you can't edit the existing player models (you can rename in the squad editor), but you can create new ones, insert them into the Australia/England squads replacing the existing players (so you could make the 'current' team that way if you really wanted) - and then they get included in the squad that plays.

Even better is the Ashes tour is actually the tour - when you play the 2007 Ashes as England, the first match isn't the first test - it's the tour match against the PM's XI - as it should be.

There are some restrictions - you get unlicensed names for the otherwise licensed players in the World XI - which is how they handled the situation like the fake IPL teams in IC2010 and presumably this game. Though the game lets you both rename that player to the correct name or even manually insert the correct licensed player into the team to replace the unlicensed one, even if you couldn't I would rather be able to play with a fake name than to have them siloed off.

This flexibility and depth doesn't seem as restrained by the licences for Australia/England that Cricket 07 had. I can't see how it totally changed for 2009, or even now.

A very good point. Cricket 2007 had more features than Ashes 2009 and IC 2010, except for online (although that never worked in IC 2010).

An Ashes tour is a marathon, not a sprint. Merely playing 5 tests seems a bit underwhelming. So much importance is given to squad selection and a lot of that is based on the tour matches, particularly this series. There are also fast bowler fitness issues.

I'd much rather play an unofficial tour of Australia to England with all tour matches included, a la BA cricket, than an official tour with nothing but the five tests.

If the ECB and CA decided to be c-nuts with Trickstar/Transmission, then okay, but if anything this goes to show that licensed games aren't necessarily the way to go in cricket if the boards are this restrictive.

To the many fans here from the sub-continent, I think they would love to know what makes this game warrant a purchase over BA? The cover of Clarke and Cook will help it sell in Australia and England but not elsewhere.

The sub-continental international teams are unlicensed, as are the domestic teams (fine, so is BA) but Ashes only has a player editor whereas BA has a player creator, editor and most importantly, sharer.

So, to get more specific and hypothetical, say I'm an Indian kid with only an xbox 360. I want to play India vs Pakistan. The game can't be modded on the 360 (and maybe not on PC, it depends on how much effort the Planetcricket modding community puts in). Does this mean for me to play India vs Pakistan with correct names, attributes and appearances I'll have to do everything myself?

If my mate also wants to play India vs Pakistan on his own xbox, does he have to do everything himself too? What about the IPL where there are suddenly many teams to edit?

If this is the case, then it really seems hard to justify a purchase in India, particularly for the reported price online of 2x the price of GTA IV when that was brand new.

A very good point. Cricket 2007 had more features than Ashes 2009 and IC 2010, except for online (although that never worked in IC 2010).

An Ashes tour is a marathon, not a sprint. Merely playing 5 tests seems a bit underwhelming. So much importance is given to squad selection and a lot of that is based on the tour matches, particularly this series. There are also fast bowler fitness issues.

I'd much rather play an unofficial tour of Australia to England with all tour matches included, a la BA cricket, than an official tour with nothing but the five tests.

If the ECB and CA decided to be c-nuts with Trickstar/Transmission, then okay, but if anything this goes to show that licensed games aren't necessarily the way to go in cricket if the boards are this restrictive.

To the many fans here from the sub-continent, I think they would love to know what makes this game warrant a purchase over BA? The cover of Clarke and Cook will help it sell in Australia and England but not elsewhere.

The sub-continental international teams are unlicensed, as are the domestic teams (fine, so is BA) but Ashes only has a player editor whereas BA has a player creator, editor and most importantly, sharer.

So, to get more specific and hypothetical, say I'm an Indian kid with only an xbox 360. I want to play India vs Pakistan. The game can't be modded on the 360 (and maybe not on PC, it depends on how much effort the Planetcricket modding community puts in). Does this mean for me to play India vs Pakistan with correct names, attributes and appearances I'll have to do everything myself?

If my mate also wants to play India vs Pakistan on his own xbox, does he have to do everything himself too? What about the IPL where there are suddenly many teams to edit?

If this is the case, then it really seems hard to justify a purchase in India, particularly for the reported price online of 2x the price of GTA IV when that was brand new.

Precisely the reason this game was never on my list. I check this thread 'only' because there's a cricket game coming out & it is right next to the BAC14 thread. Though the Ashes license (which I don't give a f**k about) would help sales in Eng/Aus, you'd have a lot less fans for your game worldwide. Wonder why Cricket games have become so much of a series centric? It boosts sales in one region, while it hampers sales in all other places. And with a bit of confidence I can assure you, hardly anyone down here (apart from the die hard 'Ashes' fans, thats pretty rare too) looks forward to this game. From what we've seen so far, the serious lack of features, and a name which clearly doesn't strike the chord for us (hell even C07 had an Ashes license, but they took it to the backside of their cover, not to their title), it almost breaks the deal.

And also, anyone who's gone into see those .csv files of AC09 could see how many stuff were left locked in the game after being worked on, quite a bit...

I saw a world cup tournament (from warm-ups!), Beefy's challenge number 7 being taking SA to victory in that controversial "22 runs to win from 1 ball" match, many stadiums, and we know - the user replay... left locked ingame with the files not removed :spy.

I even saw that they had plans to name it Brian Lara's Ashes 09 - the above screenshot's from async.big.w32 of AC09, not made by me...
attachment.php

(Sorry Naveenncc, we blamed you for asking why can't we put Ranji Trophy players on AC13's cover ;))

I think I've mentioned a few of these before, and all these shows that even AC 09 was rushed to the market, unfinished, and you don't have to be Albert Einstein to guess what that was for... :rolleyes

I'd love to hear what Mike Fegan/Chief has to say about this...

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
Either your being sarcastic or stupid... why would Brian Lara be in an ashes game? Hes not english or australian

And also, anyone who's gone into see those .csv files of AC09 could see how many stuff were left locked in the game after being worked on, quite a bit...

I saw a world cup tournament (from warm-ups!), Beefy's challenge number 7 being taking SA to victory in that controversial "22 runs to win from 1 ball" match, many stadiums, and we know - the user replay... left locked ingame with the files not removed :spy.

I even saw that they had plans to name it Brian Lara's Ashes 09
attachment.php

(Sorry Naveenncc, we blamed you for asking why can't we put Ranji Trophy players on AC13's cover ;))

I think I've mentioned a few of these before, and all these shows that even AC 09 was rushed to the market, unfinished, and you don't have to be Albert Einstein to guess what that was for... :rolleyes

I'd love to hear what Mike Fegan/Chief has to say about this...

Yeah. That game was pretty shallow. Just knock-out style 8 team WC (you couldn't even change the fixtures, INDvsNZ the first match always for me). Test series could only be played with Eng and Aus. If you had an Ashes series for them, this move was pretty dumb. No free hits in ODIs, asking me for both bowling as well as batting powerplays in ODIs (again, pretty dumb). The same recurring background music, it was all very sad. Stood nowhere close to the vastness of C07. Sad C09 never came out, would've beaten Ashes09 by a country mile.

Either your being sarcastic or stupid... why would Brian Lara be in an ashes game? Hes not english or australian

I couldn't figure out either, the image is from the async.big.w32 file of AC09, not made by me... :noway

----------

Yeah. That game was pretty shallow. Just knock-out style 8 team WC (you couldn't even change the fixtures, INDvsNZ the first match always for me).
Not only for you, even for me. In that regard, I salute C07. There was enough and more "randomization" there...

Also, graphics is nothing without a decent gameplay, and / or game modes...

Last edited:
Stuart Broad

A while back ago now, Stuart broad posted on his twitter account that he had been playing the new ashes cricket game, so what was he playing? The unsatisfactory version? I didn't even realise you were at a stage to play the game?

Thanks for your time Mike.

What you need is duplicate unlicensed versions of the licensed teams. Then you can edit them, add their players to composite squads etc. Easy enough to do. Just call them England Lions and Australia A and then let people change the team name.

----------

Lara is a brand name that is seen as a sign of quality. You've probably hit the nail on the head for why they didn't use it though.

A while back ago now, Stuart broad posted on his twitter account that he had been playing the new ashes cricket game, so what was he playing? The unsatisfactory version? I didn't even realise you were at a stage to play the game?

Thanks for your time Mike.

I saw a playable version of the game back in May; it's just not ready for release.

On the plus side for the Ashes game, if they're late for another deadline I guess it really doesn't matter much. Very little to lose and even less to gain. It's a nice tactic Mike, I see what's going on there. Any chance of this Monday bringing something special as you previously had mentioned it would?

...someones learned days of the week in class!

Users who are viewing this thread