Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

The same guy that designed BLIC 2005 went to EA shortly afterwards to make Cricket 07, which is why they blended together a bit.

I'm pretty sure Cricket 07 was the first with proper 360 analogue batting controls. But BLIC 99 (I think) had a first person camera years before: Pretty sure that may also have been in some of the early EA games (the Melbourne house days)...

EA Cricket 2007 definitely was a step forward compared to previous edition (EA Cricket 2005) and I thought they were on the right track. The batting control though wasn't really "360 degree" coz you could only play shots in a few pre-selected areas/direcions no matter which angle you had the century stick aimed at. I guess they would have ironed out the flaw and cleaned up the game in its next iteration (EA Cricket 2009) but not to be. It was a decent game nevertheless and I wish EA takes one more stab at it.

EA Cricket 2007 definitely was a step forward compared to previous edition (EA Cricket 2005) and I thought they were on the right track. The batting control though wasn't really "360 degree" coz you could only play shots in a few pre-selected areas/direcions no matter which angle you had the century stick aimed at. I guess they would have ironed out the flaw and cleaned up the game in its next iteration (EA Cricket 2009) but not to be. It was a decent game nevertheless and I wish EA takes one more stab at it.

Without diving into that old chestnut too much, I thought 2004 was the best game in terms of cricketing feel. Features were added but it became increasingly too cartoony for my likeing......

I still maintain Ashes 2009 is the closest we've got a truely real cricket experience both visually in terms of cameras and the whole presentation, as well as technologically. EA07 has always felt like a cartoon... but with the bells and whistles when it comes to tournaments and so on which, next to it's low-bar system requirements, is why it's lasted as long as it has.

Never been much of a fan of EA to be honest. They're pretty reprehensible when it comes to community interaction and support for a lot of their products.

Without diving into that old chestnut too much, I thought 2004 was the best game in terms of cricketing feel. Features were added but it became increasingly too cartoony for my likeing......

EA Cricket 2004 was good, 2005 was a step backwards but 2007 was heading in the right direction. I preferred playing EA Cricket 2007, maybe more due to the fact I liked century stick control without any button mashing.

I still maintain Ashes 2009 is the closest we've got a truely real cricket experience both visually in terms of cameras and the whole presentation, as well as technologically. EA07 has always felt like a cartoon... but with the bells and whistles when it comes to tournaments and so on which, next to it's low-bar system requirements, is why it's lasted as long as it has.

Never been much of a fan of EA to be honest. They're pretty reprehensible when it comes to community interaction and support for a lot of their products.

Online - yes, offline - no. AC09 offline was way too broken where you could slog it around and score at an unrealistic RR in Tests on Hard mode. Online AC09 was the best cricketing experience I ever had if you didn't come across a quitter.

Online - yes, offline - no. AC09 offline was way too broken where you could slog it around and score at an unrealistic RR in Tests on Hard mode. Online AC09 was the best cricketing experience I ever had if you didn't come across a quitter.

Haha, true. Still remember scoring 2500+ runs in an innings (made 1200 odd runs with my opener). Simply way too easy and got annoying after a bit in the offline mode. Online was another story though!

I forgot, they managed to get their online saving system too.

attachment.php

Can you confirm that here too Mike?

Nets?
Editor?
Online saving?
Different player heights and builds?
All the other stuff?
You sure on this Mike?

Your reputation is a bit shot at the mo and this is some big talking you are doing here.........

IMG]http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=112582&stc=1&d=1375872712[/IMG]

Can you confirm that here too Mike?

Nets?
Editor?
Online saving?
Different player heights and builds?
All the other stuff?
You sure on this Mike?

Your reputation is a bit shot at the mo and this is some big talking you are doing here.........

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This, either AC13 is gonna surprise us or yet again it's lies, lies, lies I tell u it's the lies I can't stomach.... Be very interested to see if Dutchad gets a reply from Mike or will he convieantly miss it...

I take it you mean the patched version? In which case thank PC (and Chief)!

Yeah, the PC.net patch version that fixed the out-of-box issues. Whatever the latest (last) version was is the one I have running. It's still great fun, loads better than C07 and the only thing that's pretty dated is the commentary - but I'll take the great Tony Greig any way I can these days, so it's melancholic every time I wind it up.. :(

lies, lies, lies I tell u it's the lies I can't stomach....

But it's the lies that have rekindled some people's interest in this game, so the lies have done their job!
Reminds me of a joke I once heard.........what do trickstar studios and politicians have in common? Nah, perhaps I better not go there?! :facepalm

But it's the lies that have rekindled some people's interest in this game, so the lies have done their job!
Reminds me of a joke I once heard.........what do trickstar studios and politicians have in common? Nah, perhaps I better not go there?! :facepalm

I am inclined to agree but am willing to give Mike the benefit of the doubt if he can come on here and confirm that all the features mentioned there except career mode are in his game.......let us see what he says......

......one finds it strange however to imagine that a game still buggy and full of memory leaks on Monday is suddenly crammed full of features on Wednesday....but hey, what do I know about programming.....

I think it was beta 7 or open beta 2.

Sounds about right, was a long time ago now but it fixed the little things... nicks going to slips was the main thing that bugged me the most. The AI is still a bit all over the place, but lowering the stats on the team you play with gets a decent enough run-chase going on. I'm still beaten by the AI occasionally, especially if I haven't played it much so it's still "got it" for me...

It's not perfect, but it's the one I've enjoyed the most. Pity that code couldn't have been developed further, but I guess we'll find out soon enough what this next generation of games has to offer... since both products are brand new.

Sounds about right, was a long time ago now but it fixed the little things... nicks going to slips was the main thing that bugged me the most. The AI is still a bit all over the place, but lowering the stats on the team you play with gets a decent enough run-chase going on. I'm still beaten by the AI occasionally, especially if I haven't played it much so it's still "got it" for me...

It's not perfect, but it's the one I've enjoyed the most. Pity that code couldn't have been developed further, but I guess we'll find out soon enough what this next generation of games has to offer... since both products are brand new.

It fixed a few "minor details":eek::rolleyes

Line and length of the ball
Run outs
Manic AI over aggression
Bowling speeds of the official bowlers i.e Mr Anderson was bowling a tad over 70mph in the original

Poor console players never got it though. Pirated copies were stuffed though as their pirate copy was unpatchable.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread