Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

The long silence, in defiance of their promise to keep everyone better informed, suggests that submission may not have gone smoothly.
No-one has a clue...

Or 505 Games have decided to keep the cards close to their chests hoping to catch DBC off guard closer to Ashes series and planning to go head-to-head against DBC around Ashes time. In other words, release whatever cr@ppy game they can close to Ashes series and let Ashes brand sell the game for them.

Timing wise is it fair to assume that to release 5 weeks from now - a week before the first test - they should be through submission already? Or not?

Submission might be the issue but my personal opinion is that they're just lying low. Could be wrong but I think there's too much invested in this game for it to be cancelled.
As I've said before I expect a sub-standard release to be pushed out.

Submission might be the issue but my personal opinion is that they're just lying low. Could be wrong but I think there's too much invested in this game for it to be cancelled.
As I've said before I expect a sub-standard release to be pushed out.

but it can only be pushed out if they pass submission, right?

so yeah we are left with: 1)they failed submission but i imagine a lot of contractual issues would need to be ironed out before formally cancelling
2)they passed submission but know it's a stinker and want to show as little as possible and hope to make money off the ashes name

if it's "2", big ant are playing in to their hands the closer they release DBC to the ashes - people hear a buzz about a cricket game, know the ashes is on, see "ashes cricket"... put 2 and 2 together and end up with a pile of poo. i'd want to be getting DBC out end of this month, and get proper buzz before ashes.

I'm going to fall on the side of thinking 505 just won't accept the delivered product, it isn't passing platform approvals and they are either desperately trying to negotiate a January deadline - or are working out when to announce the cancellation.

The Vine made the game look extremely incomplete - i can't imagine they could fully have gotten on top of those basic game engine issues and made it to submission by now.

If they do end up releasing, it'll certainly not get the direct promotional push - just dump it on the market (and I mean dumping in the financial sense of the word - low RRP on all platforms to spoil it) and cut it loose.

If it does get released, I'd put a cake on it never getting a patch.

but it can only be pushed out if they pass submission, right?

so yeah we are left with: 1)they failed submission but i imagine a lot of contractual issues would need to be ironed out before formally cancelling
2)they passed submission but know it's a stinker and want to show as little as possible and hope to make money off the ashes name

if it's "2", big ant are playing in to their hands the closer they release DBC to the ashes - people hear a buzz about a cricket game, know the ashes is on, see "ashes cricket"... put 2 and 2 together and end up with a pile of poo. i'd want to be getting DBC out end of this month, and get proper buzz before ashes.

Given today is the 10th, late october release for DBC seem like a stretch. My guess would be november instead.

And to keep this post on topic......

Mike Fegan.

Last edited:
Given today is the 10th, late october release for DBC seem like a stretch. My guess would be november instead.

tbh, though ross' recent hints have been more along the lines of expecting AC13 to release, i think the later we get in october hearing nothing from either means he is fairly sure ashes won't release.

i am certain if he thought ashes would release before the 1st test he would want to release at least 2-3 weeks before ashes (the game); with smaller marketing budget and a "timeless" rather than topical license, i think first mover advantage would be huge for them. releasing after AC13 has stank up the market would be a disaster.

if we get to next friday and DBC haven't announced release date, i will be 99.9999999% certain AC13 won't release.

Last edited:
tbh, though ross' recent hints have been more along the lines of expecting AC13 to release, i think the later we get in october hearing nothing from either means he is fairly sure ashes won't release.

i am certain if he thought ashes would release before the 1st test he would want to release at least 2-3 weeks before ashes (the game); with smaller marketing budget and a "timeless" rather than topical license, i think first mover advantage would be huge for them. releasing after AC13 has stank up the market would be a disaster.

if we get to next friday and DBC haven't announced release date, i will be 99.9999999% certain AC13 won't release.

Maybe this is what 505 Games want everyone to think and then spring the game out cometh the Ashes series. They would rather go head to head against DBC during Ashes than DBC release early (say late Oct). 505 Games and Trickstar have way too much invested in the game to pull out at the last second. They will push out a cr@ppy game if they have to but they will push something out for sure.

but they can only push out something if they pass submission.

i think ross will know if they have or haven't - or at least he will hear a reliable rumour i guess, and act accordingly.

either way... i don't see either game releasing only when the ashes starts... interest builds up before that. not sure when the first tour game is?

the series could not be "live" before december 17... which as the first test only starts on 21st isn't a huge window of "peak" interest. so the value is in releasing before, getting the benefit of build up buzz and letting word of mouth do the rest.

obviously as someone who will be watching as much as the time zone allows, as well as wishing big ant every success, i hope we have a 2005-style classic series going right to the wire. especially if england still come out on top.

but they can only push out something if they pass submission.
i think ross will know if they have or haven't - or at least he will hear a reliable rumour i guess, and act accordingly.

either way... i don't see either game releasing only when the ashes starts... interest builds up before that. not sure when the first tour game is?

the series could not be "live" before december 17... which as the first test only starts on 21st isn't a huge window of "peak" interest. so the value is in releasing before, getting the benefit of build up buzz and letting word of mouth do the rest.

obviously as someone who will be watching as much as the time zone allows, as well as wishing big ant every success, i hope we have a 2005-style classic series going right to the wire. especially if england still come out on top.

I would be shocked if Trickstar can't even get platform approvals & certifications in the 5 months between June and November. You can bet your bottom dollar that Trickstar have been working on getting platform approvals/certifications since June 21 fiasco. All that verbage around "assets" and "bug polihing" is just that - words. They would have had only one thing on their mind and that would be to somehow pass certification and I can't imagine they would fail to do so given 5 months extension.

Yea, find it hard to believe they would spend time "adding stuff" to the game before ensuring the game has passed the platform approvals.

Users who are viewing this thread