Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

@Colin: I understand that. I'm a realist, and I assume BigAnt and Trickstar (is that it?) are working on similar budgets. While I don't think having DRS is make/break, fans are obviously going to question why AC13 can't have certain features if BigAnt can.
Well Big Ant are building off the back of other sports titles they make, while AC13 seems to be Trickstar's standalone sports title.

I wonder why 505Games didn't use HB Studios like they did for their Rugby World Cup game recently - seems strange for a publisher to have multiple sports titles being developed by different companies on different engines. Obviously Trickstar do a better job at cricket than HB ever did - but I can't see how they establish the viability to do more with the Cricket releases if they aren't doing non-cricket sports titles that they can share an engine on.

He said DRS wasn't added because it "wasn't necessary, due to the umpires making the right decision every time".

"Wasn't necessary", referring to this particular release, given the priorities. Let's not start making it sound like we didn't *want* it in the game.
As I've said, it's on our backlog of things to add to the game - But it won't be in the initial release.

----------

:lol:lol Getting anything about the engine but it's 100% new is just not going to happen, well till they show the game soon i hope. p.s how many times have i asked about the 3rd person view now, like 4 or 5 times and no answer, if i ask again then mr lee and mr Duck will be on my back faster than the whitewash the aus team got in india.:facepalm

I do apologise.
YES. 3rd person view is in there. :D

The thing that I find ironic is that in the 7 years I have been a member here, every game that has been released has been greeted with the same annoyance at the rubbish gameplay and glaring bugs. People said and were normally supported by the majority that they would much rather get an accurate, realistic game, first and foremost before getting fancy features, licenses etc. What we have here is (in theory) exactly that, yet again people are whinging because their isn't going to be DRS or Tendulkar is going to be spent Tendalkar or something like that.

End of the day, they could call the England team the Teletubbies and have them playing in pyjama's for all I care, as long as it actually felt like I was playing cricket. People can be so unreasonable at times and the stupid thing is, we all know it, but so many of the people on this forum who whinge because they haven't got the IPL or a licensed Indian team are going to illegally download it anyway.

Last edited:
IC10 was PS3 and they could either be edited by you or there was a corrected names roster to download.

Yea, but there are a bunch of peripheral things that add to the experience like kits and faces. It's quite easy for the Aussies and English to say licenses don't matter because they know their teams will be licensed no matter what. Obviously, I will still buy the game, but it is quite frustrating as the supporter of other nations.

Effectively we have been sold 1 sole game and 2 patches up until now.

As per Assassin's Creed. As per FIFA and PES (only now up to like 14 or 15 iterations, with one reboot for a new console generation). Same engine every year, but with more features and improvements or different locations and stories, built upon top.
You can call it a patch, a sequel, an update: whatever, but that's how you make games economically viable these days. (And those titles are playing to a much bigger market to begin with.)
This is the reality of the situation. The game you're talking about, with all of those features, it can't happen right away.

And hey - I'll take your disappointment that features you wanted aren't in the initial game, but don't think that means that we ignored the requests: they are all in the long-term plan assuming things go as we hope.

As for being able to take criticism, and whether I would hide for a few days? Heh. Here is the LAST pace I'd be hanging out if I wanted to avoid that. :-)

----------

I understand from the business perspective they have to balance the game, but the negative approach is the issue I have with. For the similar money we get much more worth from other games, so why should I not expect at least the basics of cricket being implemented correctly.!

Where is the "negative approach"?

You know what's really going to suck?! If big ants game has all the features but crap gameplay. And ashes has great gameplay with hardly any features.

Choice would be pretty simple in that case, especially for the majority here. Gameplay trumps everything else. Whichever game nails the core gameplay is the winner IMO and should see more sales. Other things like career mode, DRS, manual appeals etc. make sense only if core gameplay is nailed. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to get the other features but my point is you wouldn't care about all the bells & whistles if the gameplay is cr@ppy. Nailing the core gameplay has to be the highest priority for both the games (Ashes & Big Ant) given they are in their first iteration, and I would rather have a solid game without DRS than a game where balls can be cut for 6s on Yorkers off back foot but with a DRS.

The thing that I find ironic is that in the 7 years I have been a member here, every game that has been released has been greeted with the same annoyance at the rubbish gameplay and glaring bugs. People said and were normally supported by the majority that they would much rather get an accurate, realistic game, first and foremost before getting fancy features, licenses etc. What we have here is (in theory) exactly that, yet again people are whinging because their isn't going to be DRS or Tendulkar is going to be spent Tendalkar or something like that.

End of the day, they could call the England team the Teletubbies and have them playing in pyjama's for all I care, as long as it actually felt like I was playing cricket. People can be so unreasonable at times and the stupid thing is, we all know it, but so many of the people on this forum who whinge because they haven't got the IPL or a licensed Indian team are going to illegally download it anyway.

This. No sports game can succeed in the longer run if the gameplay is not nailed. Even FIFA had a tough time against PES in early to mid 2000s until they managed to turn the corner on the gameplay front.

I am hoping both the cricket titles nail the core gameplay aspects of the game and we get annual titles in the future where stuff like career mode can be added over time. But I do expect both the titles to have a working online gameplay and that should take care of longevity :thumbs

----------

After playing BLIC07, AC09, IC10 I personally do not have much of a hope on this game. Just having licences from 2 cricket bodies does not make a perfect game. Every time we have heard that "this feature is not on our priority list" and will not be included this time round may be in future game. Effectively we have been sold 1 sole game and 2 patches up until now.

I am not even going to start on the features list. I think none of the titles even include simple basic stuff such as bat pad catches, beamers just to give an examples. We are long way away before we even get to career modes, DRS, Manual appeal and other stuff. Which is very sad :(

That's harsh. AC09 was way better than BLIC07 and can't even be compared IMO. I loved AC09's online gameplay, other than coming across bunch of quitters, and it kept me hooked for a long time. I am sure we will have a list of PSNs and Xbox ids/gamer-tags of PC members in a thread on this forum so we can get some good games without facing too many quitters.

IC 2010 was a disappointment though with broken online gameplay and not much improvement on the gameplay side.

This. No sports game can succeed in the longer run if the gameplay is not nailed. Even FIFA had a tough time against PES in early to mid 2000s until they managed to turn the corner on the gameplay front.

This was the next-gen engine switch. FIFA got the jump on them and stayed ahead since.
Will be interesting to see if PES can claw it back during THIS upcoming generational switch.

"Wasn't necessary", referring to this particular release, given the priorities. Let's not start making it sound like we didn't *want* it in the game.
As I've said, it's on our backlog of things to add to the game - But it won't be in the initial release.

----------

I do apologise.
YES. 3rd person view is in there. :D

Thanks chief, i also apologise for being pushy but as it's now the 10th of april it's to late to ask for new features. Everything in ashes 2013 should be in there now with DRS being a late removal, maybe we will see it in the future if everything else goes to plan for you guys. You can see for the last half a day all the talk is about if this game will rock or suck, i agree it's to early to talk about things like this but hard to stop when almost everyone is having there 2 cent full of well no hope feeling like the last few years.
So to get of this supject and focus on the game, can you tell us anything about the 3rd person view from ic2010 and now in ashes 2013, did you put them side by side and say this was a good idea how do we make this more realistic. My idea would be to make the close in fielders and fielding in general being well better, picking the ball up like say ponting if there stats are high or just like a normal fielder will not let you take easy singles over and over again without learning something. God luck with the game. p.s i do see people's point about why create a new engine just for a cricket game and not using it on other sports, being rubgy and cricket plus AFL are played on the same field it does make sense to release different kind of sport games to save money. What is your option on this matter chief.

----------

This was the next-gen engine switch. FIFA got the jump on them and stayed ahead since.
Will be interesting to see if PES can claw it back during THIS upcoming generational switch.

True but fifa now is the god of sport games that all sport games are judged by now, PES and fifa are close with fifa being just that little bit better plus a better licence. If this comes to trickstar and bigant face off in the future like these soccer games then i can't wait.:thumbs

It shouldn't matter to PES even if they are close 2nd to FIFA. The footie video game market is so big, even being 2nd or 3rd will get you a decent profit. As for PES, I was impressed with their 2013 edition and I can only envy footie fans that they have 2 wonderful video games to play or pick from :(

Hopefully things will change for cricket gaming fans this year with success of Ashes 2013 and Big Ant cricket :thumbs

It shouldn't matter to PES even if they are close 2nd to FIFA. The footie video game market is so big, even being 2nd or 3rd will get you a decent profit. As for PES, I was impressed with their 2013 edition and I can only envy footie fans that they have 2 wonderful video games to play or pick from :(

Agreed - Even though PES is about 30% less sales than FIFA, that still puts it 12x ahead of our best selling Cricket game. So roughly translated you could assume they could risk 12x the budget: ?12k for every ?1k... It's a LOT. Especially when building on existing technology.

And yeah. I thought PES 2013 was starting to feel like PES again. FIFA for me is still far too sluggish and not skillful enough - still feels like the game is helping me out.
When I want to sit down and play a game of football, I still reach for the PS2 version of PES: still a far superior football experience IMO.

Agreed - Even though PES is about 30% less sales than FIFA, that still puts it 12x ahead of our best selling Cricket game. So roughly translated you could assume they could risk 12x the budget: ?12k for every ?1k... It's a LOT. Especially when building on existing technology.

And yeah. I thought PES 2013 was starting to feel like PES again. FIFA for me is still far too sluggish and not skillful enough - still feels like the game is helping me out.
When I want to sit down and play a game of football, I still reach for the PS2 version of PES: still a far superior football experience IMO.

Can't answer my questions chief ok then.;)
Also I have to ask, is ashes 2009 the best selling cricket game for you guys.
If yes I hope you double it.

Users who are viewing this thread