Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

Someone pointed out the concept of bat pad catches and beamers..i really liked that idea and i would like the developers to seriously consider them if not now atleast for the updates.

Can't answer my questions chief ok then.;)
Also I have to ask, is ashes 2009 the best selling cricket game for you guys.
If yes I hope you double it.

There's not much more detail I can add about the cameras: I'll let screens and trailers do the talking later on.

And yes: Video Game Charts, Game Sales, Top Sellers, Game Data - VGChartz has all the sales figures you could dream of. I don't believe they are 100% accurate, but they are certainly a good indication.

Agreed - Even though PES is about 30% less sales than FIFA, that still puts it 12x ahead of our best selling Cricket game. So roughly translated you could assume they could risk 12x the budget: ?12k for every ?1k... It's a LOT. Especially when building on existing technology.

And yeah. I thought PES 2013 was starting to feel like PES again. FIFA for me is still far too sluggish and not skillful enough - still feels like the game is helping me out.
When I want to sit down and play a game of football, I still reach for the PS2 version of PES: still a far superior football experience IMO.

It's the same with most sports games and fans. Even now some NFL football gaming fans believe the best NFL simulation was NFL 2K5 on PS2. Same is true for BLIC 99 fans for cricket fans. Sometimes a game just nails the sweet spot for fans of that genre and no matter how hard you try it's tough to recreate the magic else NFL2K, PES and BLIC series would have taken over the market for their respective sports but not to be.

PES 2013 looks much better based on what I've seen so far and hoping Ashes can bring back the glory days of BLIC 99 :thumbs

That's harsh. AC09 was way better than BLIC07 and can't even be compared IMO. I loved AC09's online gameplay, other than coming across bunch of quitters, and it kept me hooked for a long time. I am sure we will have a list of PSNs and Xbox ids/gamer-tags of PC members in a thread on this forum so we can get some good games without facing too many quitters.

IC 2010 was a disappointment though with broken online gameplay and not much improvement on the gameplay side.

I agree....AC09 was a very good game but had serious flaws, which were then rectified in IC10, but then IC10 made the biggest blunders of all.....they had a broken online system and they never patched it at all even though they made big promises about after sales support before the game had released.

Also, I think we are all spoilt because of the 'choice' that we now have between two cricket games. And people are appreciating the 'out of box' thinking by BigAnt, like the new bowling mechanic. Now there is a possibility that the mechanic might fail when the actual game releases, but if it succeeds it would be the best innovation in bowling ever, as now you actually need to practice bowling before being able to bowl good balls. No longer would you be able to bowl the perfect deliveries all the time, which itself would take a lot of issues with previous games (like bowling non stop yorkers etc) away and bring the skill, practice and randomness into the gameplay.

Last edited:
They did?

I am not able to find the IC2010 forums, but I am sure if I did, I would be able to dig out some posts by you (i am guessing it was you who kept us updated with the development of that game as well) that did mention that the game would be supported well after its release.

Last edited:
And hey - I'll take your disappointment that features you wanted aren't in the initial game, but don't think that means that we ignored the requests: they are all in the long-term plan assuming things go as we hope.

Chief please correct me if I am wrong, how many times a cricket game by trickstar/transmission has been started on new engine? I believe blic05 and blic07 were on same engine, and than AC09 and IC10 on same engine, and now again AC13 starting from scratch. 4 titles 3 engines.

Atleast fifa and other series have built upon and given improvements year by year, with Ashes cricket we still waiting for basic attributes to be implemented correctly. Hitting a back foot shot to yorkers, bowling speed, standard field placings, no decent player editor And broken AI.

To add to that 2 different distributors codies and now 505games, the game should have been 7 years ahead, and yet we are still waiting for basics to be implemented correctly.

Last edited:
I am not able to find the IC2010 forums, but I am sure if I did, I would be able to dig out some posts by you (i am guessing it was you who kept us updated with the development of that game as well) that did mention that the game would be supported well after its release.

99% sure that my first EVER public Planet Cricket post was when we announced AC13 in September...

99% sure that my first EVER public Planet Cricket post was when we announced AC13 in September...

I sincerely apologize to you then.....there was someone who kept us updated about the progress of that game (much like you do)....thus the confusion :)!! Anyways, he did mention that the game will be supported after release.

Chief please correct me if I am wrong, how many times a cricket game by trickstar/transmission has been started on new engine? I believe blic05 and blic07 were on same engine, and than AC09 and IC10 on same engine, and now again AC13 starting from scratch. 4 titles 3 engines.

Atleast fifa and other series have built upon and given improvements year by year, with Ashes cricket we still waiting for basic attributes to be implemented correctly. Hitting a back foot shot to yorkers, bowling speed, standard field placings, no decent player editor And broken AI.

To add to that 2 different distributors codies and now 505games, the game should have been 7 years ahead, and yet we are still waiting for basics to be implemented correctly.

Yeah -
PS2/XBOX
BLIC 2005: Developer Swordfish Studios, Publisher Codemasters.
BLIC 2007: Developer Codemasters, Publisher Codemasters.
PS3/360
Ashes 2009: Developer Transmission, Publisher Codemasters.
IC2010: Developer Trickstar, Publisher Codemasters.
And now
AC13: Developer Trickstar, Publisher 505 Games.

So whereas games like PES and FIFA had a game every year of each generation, Cricket was broken up by different developers with sometimes 2 years between iterations. The first game on PS2 came 5 years into the hardware cycle. The first on PS3 came 3 years in.

When a console launches it is generally bought first by the hardcore: it takes a few price-drops before it goes mainstream. It's also the most expensive time to develop for a console as it's all new tech. So commercially it's hard to make a case for something that isn't a massive global brand.

I think the key to making the cricket game you guys all dream of is to anticipate the hardware curve and build an engine so adaptable that it can be used for a prolonged period, making it able to be built upon for years to come irrespective of changes in technology... Without having to rebuild, you simply can build.

----------

I sincerely apologize to you then.....there was someone who kept us updated about the progress of that game (much like you do)....thus the confusion :)!! Anyways, he did mention that the game will be supported after release.

I did some Q+As, but I don't think I would have said it would definitely be supported post-release: I generally know better than to promise stuff that it isn't in my power to deliver!

I did some Q+As, but I don't think I would have said it would definitely be supported post-release: I generally know better than to promise stuff that it isn't in my power to deliver!

You wont be going into politics after this then.......

Yeah I remember a guy saying promises on the ic2010 forum, you have been a lot smarter chief by not promising much, just maybe learning from your mistakes this time. Sorry I mean trickstar. I just hope this new engine gives you guys the tools to make a cricket that takes the cricket would by storm, not just a pretty face but some brains to match.

. I just hope this new engine gives you guys the tools to make a cricket that takes the cricket would by storm, not just a pretty face but some brains to match.

That's the plan. Everything has been designed with the future in mind, and hopefully we'll be in a position to be able to exploit that... but with the market for console games the way it is at the moment, it's hard to say for sure what will happen next and very difficult for people to commit long-term.

True but fifa now is the god of sport games

Being fair, it's not hard to make a "god" of sports games when your making football. Cricket must be a complete nightmare to make from a developers point of view. When you compare the budget and technology that ea get every year to work with on fifa against what trickstar get, then even if ashes 2013 is just half decent, I would say trickster have done a better job than ea did.

Users who are viewing this thread