Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

I think they already did a better job than ea when they made IC2010. But that online bug was a killer. It was still fun though....its just that it didnt last long enough

I don't know, gameplay wise EA Cricket 2002 and 2004 felt better than AC09 for me. I still play the older games (BLC99, EA 2002 & 2004), but can't pick up anything from codemasters starting from BLIC 2005 now. I find them too boring and they no way make me feel like I'm playing a cricket game. They have all that cartoony looking animations and shots, loopy bowling, poor AI etc. I hope all of these change with AC13 and we finally have a cracking game with authentic looking shots,animation, cool AI were the opposite team captain make the life hell for us with all his bowling changes and fielding changes. Actually there is lot to ask for when the bowling part is considered. The things like in swing, out swing, reverse swing, loopy spin, correct speed, correct bounce, smart fielding AI etc. I hope they get it all right this time, unlike their past games.

Chief, on the question of player heights, I would like to raise a couple of points that I also rose on the official forum...

Player height, if not just cosmetic, plays a huge role in cricket. A tall fast bowler bangs it in at a steeper angle than a shorter bowler, a shorter batsman struggles more to get on top of the ball than a taller batsman, etcetera. How will the match engine, the physics environment cater for this? Will it cater for this?

I have to be truly honest and say that I feel a negative vibe is starting to be created around the game because there is a sense of being slowly drip-fed bad news; this cannot happen yet, that isn't possible, it is on our wish list etcetera.

I feel people have been genuinely willing to understand and accept the reasons given.

However I feel as well that we need to start hearing, seeing, feeling what this game DOES have to offer, why it is a big step forward, why it will knock our socks off and why we will want to buy it, pre-order it, play it.

We want to be enthusiastic, inspired. We don't all want to just knock the game and keep moaning on about this or that in the past. Many of us genuinely applaud your willingness to talk with us, explain things to us, give us a sense of listening to us.

But what has all this talking, listening, writing endless points and comments, much based on real knowledgeable insights into the game of cricket and not just throw away comments, bring us to?

The whole mood around the game needs a new impetus, a fresh inspiration a sense of okay we don't have this or that but we do have this and this and this and this.....

In the end it matters not two twigs what I think.....but if I may be so bold to say so, I really think that we need to start hearing what the strengths of the game are, not in term of nice sound bites, but indepth insights in to what strengths and advancements this game will have.

We understand restrictions etcetera but we can hear some things surely? We have heard nothing really whether the fielding side of things has improved? Will fielders gawp at the ball as it trundles across the boundary or will we be stunned by an amazing catch, a sliding brilliant stop, two fielders struggling for all their might to work together to stop that extra run, all the things that have us jumping up when we watch cricket, all the things we try to acheive when we play cricket?

Will we have to think two steps ahead, constantly trying to outthink the other captain? Will the AI recognise the match situation, set a field, change a field, not just randomly and cosmetically, but genuinely strategically? Will the bowling side set a field and bowl to it? Why have a strong off side field and bowl down leg side?

I would very much appreciate it if you could find the time to at least answer the general feel of this post even if you feel you cannot go in to some details.

I really want this game to succeed and I will be buying it come what may, but I think we need to change the impetus of the vibe around this game and you are the only one able to do that at the moment.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chief, on the question of player heights, I would like to raise a couple of points that I also rose on the official forum...

Player height, if not just cosmetic, plays a huge role in cricket. A tall fast bowler bangs it in at a steeper angle than a shorter bowler, a shorter batsman struggles more to get on top of the ball than a taller batsman, etcetera. How will the match engine, the physics environment cater for this? Will it cater for this?

I have to be truly honest and say that I feel a negative vibe is starting to be created around the game because there is a sense of being slowly drip-fed bad news; this cannot happen yet, that isn't possible, it is on our wish list etcetera.

I feel people have been genuinely willing to understand and accept the reasons given.

However I feel as well that we need to start hearing, seeing, feeling what this game DOES have to offer, why it is a big step forward, why it will knock our socks off and why we will want to buy it, pre-order it, play it.

We want to be enthusiastic, inspired. We don't all want to just knock the game and keep moaning on about this or that in the past. Many of us genuinely applaud your willingness to talk with us, explain things to us, give us a sense of listening to us.

But what has all this talking, listening, writing endless points and comments, much based on real knowledeable insights into the game of cricket and not just throw away comments, bring us to?

The whole mood around the game needs a new impetus, a fresh inspiration a sense of okay we don't have this or that but we do have this and this and this and this.....

In the end it matters not two twigs what I think.....but if I may be so bold to say so, I really think that we need to start hearing what the strengths of the game are, not in term of nice sound bites, but indepth insights in to what strengths and advancements this game will have.

We understand restrictions etcetera but we can hear some things surely? We have heard nothing really whether the fielding side of things has improved? Will fielders gawp at the ball as it trundles across the boundary or will we be stunned by an amazing catch, a sliding brilliant stop, two fielders struggling for all their might to work together to stop that extra run, all the things that have us jumping up when we watch cricket, all the things we try to acheive when we play cricket?

Will we have to think two steps ahead, constantly trying to outthink the other captain? Will the AI recognise the match situation, set a field, change a field, not just randomly and cosmetically, but genuinely strategically? Will the bowling side set a field and bowl to it? Why have a strong off side field and bowl down leg side?

I would very much appreciate it if you could find the time to at least answer the general feel of this post even if you feel you cannot go in to some details.

I really want this game to succeed and I will be buying it come what may, but I think we need to change the impetus of the vibe around this game and you are the only one able to do that at the moment.

Cheers.

Well said, my feeling 100%, we all want to see the game but as we can not at the moment maybe a deeper look into the making of i hope a future cricket game where we forget the past and look to a bright future.
Great post Dutchad.:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

The thing is AC13 hasn't announce their trump card feature yet , But BigAnt has already announced 3 or 4 standout features(Career Mode ,Cricket Academy ,Online Saved game ,Revolutionary batting and bowling mechanics) , I think its time now for Chief to announce "THE MAIN" feature.

Last edited:
The thing is AC13 hasn't announce their trump card feature yet , But BigAnt has already announced 3 or 4 standout features(Career Mode ,Cricket Academy ,Online Saved game ,Revolutionary batting and bowling mechanics) , I think its time now for Chief to announce "THE MAIN" feature.

They have and the number one feature is there new engine, why do you think it's still a secret, they will do a big reveal in the next few weeks.

To chief, what i would love to know the most is with the new engine and say front foot and back foot shots, will they mean more.
In ic2010 you could feel they tried but the engine let them down over and over again. I would love the feeling of a good length ball, not to short and not to full, on off stump where batsmen hate them. Say it's in perth where the ball bouncers more so i go for a defence shot with perfect timing on the front instead of the back but the ball bouncers and takes the edge and goes to third man for 4. Meaning i have to let the ball go more next time or play more on the back foot in perth. Sorry to go on but this is very important for me, making sure you play on the front or back foot is a area i hope has had a lot of love and care.

Also, in a lot of games these days they show the game in a longer like play session with the developer playing and talking at the same time, for say 10 to 15 minutes. What do you think of this, say after the first trailer and shots have been released and we know all of the features of course.:yes

----------

Revolutionary batting and bowling mechanics is just PR-speak anyway.

True, so is this live pitch. They have to prove it soon by the only way they can, by showing us the game.:spy

T
True, so is this live pitch. They have to prove it soon by the only way they can, by showing us the game.:spy

They don't have to prove anything and that certainly wasn't the intention of my post. I was trying to make the point that the impetus towards the game needs a new injection as it is starting to become negative through Jamie having to come on hear and tell us: no this and no that......by expanding more on what the game does have the impetus can be re-enlivened in a positive manner again.....whether he feels that is necessary or important at all is up to him. I certainly feel it is but that is me....

Last edited by a moderator:
Dutchys post is spot on! I have never been one to slate a game or be negative until playing it. However this is not the first game and we have heard the same we are planning it for the future etc excuses 3 games running!

I understand you have marketing plans and strategies etc. however what I don't understand is so far there is far more excitement over the other game due to bits slowly being revealed.

I can only assume you have gone hell bent on gameplay, because if it's anything like past games, the question of what have you been working on surely needs to be asked?

I mentioned this game to a few mates the other day and they had no idea it even existed. There's no excitement being built what so ever???

They don't have to prove anything and that certainly wasn't the intention of my post. I was trying to make the point that the impetus towards the game needs a new injection as it is starting to become negative through Jamie having to come on hear and tell us: no this and no that......by expanding more on what the game does have the impetus can be re-enlivened in a positive manner again.....whether he feels that is necessary or important at all is up to him. I certainly feel it is but that is me....

I do see your point also but the only way is to show us what they have been working on for the last 2 years or so, maybe a small reveal to get the excitement flowing is needed. Only my option.

----------

Dutchys post is spot on! I have never been one to slate a game or be negative until playing it. However this is not the first game and we have heard the same we are planning it for the future etc excuses 3 games running!

I understand you have marketing plans and strategies etc. however what I don't understand is so far there is far more excitement over the other game due to bits slowly being revealed.

I can only assume you have gone hell bent on gameplay, because if it's anything like past games, the question of what have you been working on surely needs to be asked?

I mentioned this game to a few mates the other day and they had no idea it even existed. There's no excitement being built what so ever???

problem is cricket season is not on in the uk yet(may i think) and does not start till Nov in aus, maybe a small amount of marketing would help.:)

I wouldn't dare mention the word cricket around 95% of people I know without having the piss ripped out of me.

It's not the coolest of things to like to be fair, especially in the uk, hence why there is such a small market to aim for.

I couldn't name a single person I know personally who would be buying a cricket game, where's I could name over 10 for fifa, pes, gra, cod franchise.

I wouldn't dare mention the word cricket around 95% of people I know without having the piss ripped out of me.

It's not the coolest of things to like to be fair, especially in the uk, hence why there is such a small market to aim for.

I couldn't name a single person I know personally who would be buying a cricket game, where's I could name over 10 for fifa, pes, gra, cod franchise.

Haha very true although I was at indoor nets so it wasn't as risky!!

I just can't work out what this strategy is..... It's all very de ja vu!

Yeah but soccer cool god help the world:eek:.
In aus it's different in that way, we love our cricket but only when we win like most countries these days and soccer is only ok here, with Rugby and AFL being why more popular than soccer.:clap

Well the thing is I am yet to see any distinguishing feature of AC13 from IC10 , AC9 , BLIC05/07 yet. Hence I am not really excited for this game , on the contrary Big Ant seems to have come in the market with a bang. (atleast on paper so far)

Users who are viewing this thread