Ashes Cricket General Discussion

Just finished my innings bowling to my weakened Australia side and I got three edged wickets. Finished with a cracker with an off spinner to first slip. There was one 'bat pad' catch at silly mid on that hit the pad and nothing else and was given out, but that happened a few days ago without tweaking anything.

I get where @blockerdave is coming from by saying adjusting attributes papers over cracks in the game and I'll be the first to say one innings doesn't show you the game is perfect or terrible. But it was the most interesting and entertaining bowling session I've had. I would add that it was also having dropped the difficulty for bowling to Hard. I use the run ups and arm action for timing not the timing hud, it's quite possible just dropping the difficulty has made a difference.

Just finished my innings bowling to my weakened Australia side and I got three edged wickets. Finished with a cracker with an off spinner to first slip. There was one 'bat pad' catch at silly mid on that hit the pad and nothing else and was given out, but that happened a few days ago without tweaking anything.

I get where @blockerdave is coming from by saying adjusting attributes papers over cracks in the game and I'll be the first to say one innings doesn't show you the game is perfect or terrible. But it was the most interesting and entertaining bowling session I've had. I would add that it was also having dropped the difficulty for bowling to Hard. I use the run ups and arm action for timing not the timing hud, it's quite possible just dropping the difficulty has made a difference.

Bowling "ideal" balls tends to lower the amount of stupid lobs. To demonstrate, watch an AI vs AI match where the AI both bowls and bats horribly

A lot of this stuff just seems like superstition to me. Lack of patches is affecting people's minds I think.
There is some of that going on deffo but there are real issues as well at a fundamental core level that need addressing.

There is some of that going on deffo but there are real issues as well at a fundamental core level that need addressing.

Of course. And I've only ever played the PC build of the game so haven't noticed any degradation through patches. I'm just very sceptical of the idea that academy logos can have an effect on game-play...

I don't think there are a lack of patches, I think there are too many. Beta testers spoke of some holy grail of cricket gaming that had been reached that none of us had ever seen before, a few guys ask for some new camera angles, and it seems like all that momentum has been lost.

Of course. And I've only ever played the PC build of the game so haven't noticed any degradation through patches. I'm just very sceptical of the idea that academy logos can have an effect on game-play...
I understand that; but.....in the beta proces we had a great build. Something was added totally irrelevant to gameplay; I think it was the ability to see the ball condition, we were aghast at what they had changed with gameplay....they assured us none of that had been touched, none of it.......the addition or tweaking or connection between all parts can have an adverse effect on something seemingly unrelated, even if we cant imagine it being the case.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that; in the beta proces we had a great build. Something was added totally irrelevant to gameplay; I think it was the ability to see the ball condition, we were aghast at what they had changed with gameplay....they assured us none of that had been touched, none of it.......the addition or tweaking or connection between all parts can have an adverse effect on something seemingly unrelated, even if we cant imagine it being the case.....

I'll see how the Ben Stokes build gets on. This is before even the day one PS4 patch. Can't get any earlier than that without being on the beta team.

I don't think there are a lack of patches, I think there are too many. Beta testers spoke of some holy grail of cricket gaming that had been reached that none of us had ever seen before, a few guys ask for some new camera angles, and it seems like all that momentum has been lost.
The issue is that for some reason, for them a very valid reason probably, a couple of patches were released without them being experienced, tested and feedback given on from the people who until then had been asked to test everything. We would have immidiately been able to say what was happening and it could perhaps have been rectified. To be fair it is getting better and better the whole process. We are just not there yet which means some frustration. They will get there.

The issue is that for some reason, for them a very valid reason probably, a couple of patches were released without them being experienced, tested and feedback given on from the people who until then had been asked to test everything. We would have immidiately been able to say what was happening and it could perhaps have been rectified. To be fair it is getting better and better the whole process. We are just not there yet which means some frustration. They will get there.

It sounds like they already did.

Now to carry on for years on the Ben Stokes version without it downloading the latest in the background :D

I'll see how the Ben Stokes build gets on. This is before even the day one PS4 patch. Can't get any earlier than that without being on the beta team.
We are just as much bound to the build we have and cannot go back..... I do agree that we need to steer clear of this idea that there was this wonderbuild...it was a good build to work forward on with issues still remaining.....the patches on top of that meant that next to the issues that needed fixing on the good build, more issues arose.

Don't think I had one in that innings.[DOUBLEPOST=1515171848][/DOUBLEPOST]
The only way I could envisage it having an effect is graphically. Maybe that could result in things not looking right but I don't know how it would effect the programming behind the gameplay itself. I am no expert about these matters though.

Having an interesting start to a match on [HASHTAG]#Benstokesbuild[/HASHTAG]...

Seam position is gone, slips are further back, menus are all different, there are different bat/ball noises and pitch wear is visible? Not only visible but seems to correlate to where Boult and Southee respectively would be creating rough as left arm and right arm bowlers. I feel like a beta tester :)

There are also drawbacks like no custom bats and no bowler stamina visible in the game overlay (they do seem to be losing stamina in the menus). If anything this is just an interesting experiment, but it feels like a good game might happen here.

Last edited:
Having an interesting start to a match on [HASHTAG]#Benstokesbuild[/HASHTAG]...

Seam position is gone, slips are further back, menus are all different, there are different bat/ball noises and pitch wear is visible? Not only visible but seems to correlate to where Boult and Southee respectively would be creating rough as left arm and right arm bowlers. I feel like a beta tester :)

There are also drawbacks like no custom bats and no bowler stamina visible in the game overlay (they do seem to be losing stamina in the menus). If anything this is just an interesting experiment, but it feels like a good game might happen here.

Yeah I think that version is missing a lot of stuff, ideally want 1.03 but can't do that!

Users who are viewing this thread