Ashes Cricket General Discussion

IMO you are being way too optimistic. Big Ant reminds me of Warne's assessment of Monty Panesar (He has played one test 30 times). To me that's the perfect way to sum up Big Ant's cricketing franchise (DBC & Ashes), i.e. it looks like they have developed the same game three times rather than carrying over from the previous iterations.

TBH at this point I would be over the moon if Big Ant can fix stats and add in half decent default fields coz that will allow me to play career mode and occasional casual matches. Based on what I've seen so far across three iterations of this franchise I'm highly sceptical that Big Ant will nail cricket. I would love to be proven wrong but I won't hold my breath for that to happen.

i think 1.03 was as close as any console game has ever got... but there's a lot in what you say of the same mistakes being made over and over again. but there was a point during the beta when i think all of us playing it thought wow. unfortunately all that enthusiasm has evaporated, and it started evaporating one day after release.

If it's before seam position came in i belwive we had much better playing builds and I believe 1.03 was better than 1.00
I do remember that there was a time we were bowling them out very cheaply. This seems close to that one. It was around the time seam position was added that the build we all loved arose

I do remember that there was a time we were bowling them out very cheaply. This seems close to that one. It was around the time seam position was added that the build we all loved arose

yes the initial builds had good variety of dismissals but the AI wasn't robust and could be rolled over. i was concerned at that point because in both dbc14 and dbc17 making the AI more robust always meant losing dismissal variety. but they somehow managed to give us the best of both worlds and it was great - the AI was tough to dismiss but the wickets were varied and cheap ones were rare. and sadly that's what's been lost

IMO you are being way too optimistic. Big Ant reminds me of Warne's assessment of Monty Panesar (He has played one test 30 times). To me that's the perfect way to sum up Big Ant's cricketing franchise (DBC & Ashes), i.e. it looks like they have developed the same game three times rather than carrying over from the previous iterations.

TBH at this point I would be over the moon if Big Ant can fix stats and add in half decent default fields coz that will allow me to play career mode and occasional casual matches. Based on what I've seen so far across three iterations of this franchise I'm highly sceptical that Big Ant will nail cricket. I would love to be proven wrong but I won't hold my breath for that to happen.
This is a good post. Yes, it's like they don't learn from their mistakes, and then have the beta testers come in to apply multiple band-aids to the wounds - many of which don't quite fix the problems. Having a prickly and over-reactive CEO hurts things too.

The game was spread out too thin. Lose the logos, stadiums, and all the other fluff. Just have a simple Test, ODI and T20 series between two sides and get the mechanics right.

Unfortunately for cricket, when the little things are done incorrectly or are missing it strongly affects the feel of the game. For example, why are there (almost) no leg byes in the game?

I could go on for 30 minutes about stats. I have realised they they just don't care enough. Even with some of the 'fixes' that have been applied, it's a second-rate job. I think the whole thing should be scrapped and started over. Others are welcome to raise the topic again, but I've given up.

It's a superficial game. Yeah, there's lots of "stuff" in there, but the occasional nice-looking nick through to the keeper is swamped by all the crap. And, as such, the game never evolved properly.

The best bowling figures in career mode and casual mode is showing wrong figures

What I'd really like from Big Ant is a patch making it possible to see the ball. I mean, yes there are quite a few issues with the game but not being able to see the ball is unforgivable.

Does anyone actually play without having either aerial marker or ball trail on? Even cricket games in the 80s allowed you to see the ball. I can see the ball on my TV when I watch live cricket. Who at big ant thought it would be cool to make it almost impossible to see the ball? Are they trolling us?

The best bowling figures in career mode and casual mode is showing wrong figures

Yes I keep getting best test match bowling, when playing a t20.
This wasn't happening the other day.[DOUBLEPOST=1515197406][/DOUBLEPOST]
Is there no other topic except edges and sliders
It's getting boring a lot

And your constant bollox about online play wasn't?

Can duck in the game because I always get hit by the ball
I just have couple improvements for the game
You should be able to have button to dig the ball out
Shot force needs to fixed
Hitting sixes is too easy
Steve Smith stance need to fixed
Fix the wides
AI fields and the way the bat and bowl
Improve pitch with uneven bounce and more rough
Have more bowling options like couple more slower balls and slower bouncer eg tye and bravo
Slips and wicket keeper should be further back on faster wickets
Improve academy change the colour of the gloves and equipment

i think 1.03 was as close as any console game has ever got... but there's a lot in what you say of the same mistakes being made over and over again. but there was a point during the beta when i think all of us playing it thought wow. unfortunately all that enthusiasm has evaporated, and it started evaporating one day after release.

You have to look at things from a different perspective... Since DBC 14 we have got DBC 17 which actually took a couple of steps back in that it couldn't even get stats right. Then we were told wait for Ashes Cricket as we are going to publish the game. And what do we get? A rehash of DBC 17 with almost the same issues - including botched stats which one would think would've been fixed since DBC 17. I struggle to figure out what changed other than adding mo-caps. AI is nearly the same, default fields are still the same, stats issues persist etc. I didn't get to play the much hyped patch 1.03 as when I got my hands on the game it was already on patch 1.05 and later 1.06 so forgive my scepticism.

I gave DBC 17 a pass but I struggle to understand how the same issues (stats and poor AI fields) still remain unaddressed. I can understand game balancing needing a tweak but surely stats can be nailed. And the AI fields have actually regressed since DBC 17, which I didn't think was possible. That's why at this point all I want and expect is for Big Ant to fix stats and default AI fields so I can at least play career mode even though the game is more arcadey than what was promised. Surely these two items are not asking for a lot?

Last edited:
Since we're not allowed to talk about sliders and edges anymore I would like to take the time to castigate Big Ant for not yet patching the game to give England the nice, new, cream-coloured sweaters instead of the ugly grey ones they used to have.

Poor show.

Pardon my ignorance. Just got the game on the pc recently. One thing I noticed is that some shot animations are weird. Animation and shot does not match with each other on some shots. Was this not picked up during the build or testing?

They are talking way too much about AI, why because they like to bowl, people who like to bat can't play this game more than few days only to figure out batting is a sitter. It's a bigger issue then worrying about AI variety of dissmals because bowling gameplay right now is ahead of batting..Maybe just because our testers only like to bowl I guess... Let's wait for another month now to see if batting gets competitive, And would like more people to complain about that coz all the beta is doing is talking about variety of dissmals of AI and bowling.I wonder if big ant can higher better programmers etc.. Coz the same errors are found going forward to new games.I wonder if they can get testers who understands how easy six hitting can be a spoiler for the game..In general hiring people who are more interested to bat and are not avoiding slog button just for the sake of being realistic...That ways you are ignoring different elements of the game. Right now I can only wonder till next patch..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread