Ashes Cricket General Discussion

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
You could do that without those buttons, as in DBC14 where you'd just release slightly earlier to pitch it slightly fuller, or later to pitch a bit shorter.
True, but i guess they are trying to cater for casual fan a bit more with those sort of features, maximise sales while the Ashes is on and i can understand that.

sonimrajk

International Cricketer
I guess the title says it all. I loved IC2010 and from what I've seen on YouTube, IC2010 has better graphics, better atmosphere, better commentary, more teams, better stadia than Ashes Cricket. But which plays better?

I'm very tempted to buy Ashes but I'm not convinced by what I've seen and games are so expensive I have to be careful...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts / input.
Gameplay is definetly far better than IC2010.
You will not be dissapointed.

Rhone

International Cricketer
I guess the title says it all. I loved IC2010 and from what I've seen on YouTube, IC2010 has better graphics, better atmosphere, better commentary, more teams, better stadia than Ashes Cricket. But which plays better?

I'm very tempted to buy Ashes but I'm not convinced by what I've seen and games are so expensive I have to be careful...

Thanks in advance for any thoughts / input.

Wait for the next patch. If this fixes some of the biggest bugs the game will be worth the £40+ price point. It's close to being an excellent game but held back by a few issues at the moment.

chintoo02018

Associate Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
AI on Legend Should Play Like Legend ..... That's Final Word ...

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
This is part of the problem though... If you can choose one of 12 intended lengths, how can it really vary enough based on timing?

For instance press X for "good length", hold R1 for slightly fuller length, if you time the release much too late can it still end up borderline short pitched (as in DBC14)?

There is no need for extra buttons to control length - DBC14 never had those L1/R1 buttons and you could hit any spot on the pitch with just timing, but also mess it up if you lost your rhythm and not hit the length you intended to... Which felt natural and realistic, especially if you turned the HUD helpers off.

Having these L1/R1 buttons is a bad thing imo.

it doesn't have the huge range of 14 but its still the best bowling of the 3 games.

D

Deleted member 9102

it doesn't have the huge range of 14 but its still the best bowling of the 3 games.
The physics/swing and CPU batsmen may be more realistic, making the overall bowling experience better in some ways... But the actual mechanics of how you deliver the ball are inferior to 14 and that is most important to me.

14's bowling was so tactile, great control scheme... It was as close as a game has gotten to having the ball in your hand. I wish they had built on that strong foundation rather than scrapping it for this 12 length system with minimal room for error.

I'll buy another BA cricket game if/when such a bowling length system is properly reintroduced.

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The physics/swing and CPU batsmen may be more realistic, making the overall bowling experience better in some ways... But the actual mechanics of how you deliver the ball are inferior to 14 and that is most important to me.

14's bowling was so tactile, great control scheme... It was as close as a game has gotten to having the ball in your hand. I wish they had built on that strong foundation rather than scrapping it for this 12 length system with minimal room for error.

I'll buy another BA cricket game if/when such a bowling length system is properly reintroduced.

have you played this?

D

Deleted member 9102

have you played this?
I don't own a console, so no... That's why I was trying to find out more info about the bowling mechanics/length control and whether they were like 14 before I decided to purchase - ideally I would have tried an Academy nets/demo but there isn't one, though I think I've got enough info to make up my mind now.

To me this sort of change from 14 is like if a snooker game changed to just allowing you to hit the ball at 12 different preset speeds rather than having you deliver the cue with the mouse. I prefer games with more tactile controls... Virtual Pool/Shooters Pool > Pool Nation, DBC14 > DBC17 etc. That is just my preference in what I look for in sports games... Best of luck to BA and I wish them every success with this game, I just feel like it's strayed too far from what made me like 14 personally.

balkeet

International Coach
The different bowling animations, batting animations, no batting premeditation give it a go ahead for purchase. Other issues will be ironed out. I would like to see pace bowling hurrying the batsman, bodyline tactics much like Mitch John and starc make batsmen jump/hop in crease

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
Bowling in 14/17 for me was meh.

In this game its so much fun, tactically, working for your wickets, setting batsmen up, i think i enjoy bowling as much if not more than batting in this game...and i play on Hard/Hard/Veteran.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
Has there been an update on the PC release?

azkhan

Associate Captain
I don't own a console, so no... That's why I was trying to find out more info about the bowling mechanics/length control and whether they were like 14 before I decided to purchase - ideally I would have tried an Academy nets/demo but there isn't one, though I think I've got enough info to make up my mind now.

To me this sort of change from 14 is like if a snooker game changed to just allowing you to hit the ball at 12 different preset speeds rather than having you deliver the cue with the mouse. I prefer games with more tactile controls... Virtual Pool/Shooters Pool > Pool Nation, DBC14 > DBC17 etc. That is just my preference in what I look for in sports games... Best of luck to BA and I wish them every success with this game, I just feel like it's strayed too far from what made me like 14 personally.

@Madman try the game out when you can. You might be surprised.[DOUBLEPOST=1512069880][/DOUBLEPOST]
AI on Legend Should Play Like Legend ..... That's Final Word ...

Lol thank you chintoo

Users who are viewing this thread