Ashes Cricket General Discussion

Mitchell

Panel of Selectors
AUS..
Profile Flag
Australia
Things are being looked at every day. Takes time, just need a bit of patience. I want it to come out and be better not be rushed out and create new problems.
is the abillty for deleting all your logo when playing in custom stadiums one of them

Last edited:

Ken Tremendous

International Cricketer
Things are being looked at every day. Takes time, just need a bit of patience. I want it to come out and be better not be rushed out and create new problems.
You see my video two pages back of the ridiculous ghosting keeper taking catches that are humanly impossible - im hoping this is something being worked on?

sportsmad

School Cricketer
playing ashes series mode
struggling to score against AI
can anyone recommend some sliders to help me in my batting?
also re the fielding settings am i right in thinking the easy the setting the AI will catch everything?
thank you

IsaacCricketer

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
How can a game be the best cricket game ever and be unplayable at the same time?

And, you need to realize that there are issues other than your stats issue. It may still be possible that the stats issue is not fixed this time round as well. Probably because the devs would prioritise issues related to gameplay or something else which they consider more important.

So our job is to just mention problems and allow the devs to decide when to work on fixing it.

Reiterating the same point isn’t helpful.

Okay firstly, this game is the best cricket game ever probably because there is no other competition out there, but mainly because it is actually a very good game, and has the potential to be incredible. What makes it unplayable is the issues that exist within the game itself, I don't actually think there is much problem with the gameplay at all, except perhaps for the choppy gameplay, but I'm aware that this is being looked at.

I understand that there is more issues than the stats, but for me, and I know I speak for a lot of others on this forum as well, stats are crucial, and one of the fundamental reasons for playing career mode is to see how stats fluctuate and change after performance. This is one of the reasons why DBC14 was so good, and DBC17 not so much.

You say that reiterating the same point isn't helpful, and while I do agree with the fact that it isn't helpful if it is malicious or nonconstructive, the stats issue was raised many times during the previous game, and there was no eventual fix to it. I'm not hounding the developers, I think they do an amazing job.

zohaib_25

School Cricketer
Why flood lights do not take full effect in one day internationals and Ashes day and night test match. The sky remains bright instead going dark.

markied12

School Cricketer
I brought Ashes cricket for ps4 got a problem with it when you load a saving games he keep saying censored names for i having got psn if i stick my parnetal contols on level 2 will that work or need psn to fix it

zayno

Club Captain
i have the game on xbox one digital download. why is there frame rate issues and screen tearing in night matches under lights when using the fielding one camera angle for running ?

j4mehta

Club Cricketer
Hey guys,

Hope everyone's doing well. I don't post very often, but I've been following/reading these forums pretty regularly since 2013. Just wanted to thank Big Ant Studios for such an amazing game, I've been playing Ashes Cricket pretty extensively since it's release on ps4 and it's blown my mind. The new animations along with all the other improvements have really changed the game for me, in terms of immersion. Thanks to the Studios + the amazing beta testing community, this is easily the best cricket game I've ever played.

Having said that, after playing the game for quite some time I wanted to bring forward a few things I've noticed, that presently are the major factors affecting immersion for me. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts, and confirm/reject the things that I've noticed.

Specifically for AI in Tests (I'm on the latest patch - 1.05):

1. It's hard to describe, but it feels like within any given over, as dot balls build up in the over, it's almost guaranteed that the 5th or 6th delivery the AI will attempt to play an aggressive shot and/or play a regular shot that's timed really well + in the gap. I initially started playing the game on Medium/Medium/Easy (Veteran), and moved on to Hardest/Hardest/Easy (Legend), and noticed that the ability to clear/successfully play this final aggressive shot increased as I moved from Veteran to Legend. Since my career is as a Software Dev, programatically it feels like the AI is given some run-rate specific goal (similar to Reinforcement Learning - i.e. 4/over in tests), and there's some aggressiveness/shot likelihood factor that's scaled as each dot ball is bowled. This definitely may not be how it's actually implemented, but I've noticed this time and time again (for both spinners and pace bowlers). This is one of the major things affecting immersion for me right now, where the first over of a test match you would bowl 4/5 really good deliveries / you're bowling to a specific plan (i.e. outswingers ouside off), and the AI would play accordingly, and even if I follow up the final delivery with an inswinging yorker (for example), the batsmen clears it for 4/6. I would love to hear if other players have noticed anything similar/different, it just feels like the AI forces a specific characteristic upon it's batting.

2. Tied with the above issue is that I've noticed short pitched bowling tends to be overly effective against the AI. I've been able to get almost all my wickets caught by bowling short Leg Cutters / Off Cutters, and setting a leg side heavy field. I can imagine this happening for really aggressive and/or confident (set) batsmen (that perhaps like to take on the short bowling regardless of the field), but it seems unrealistic for batsmen to continue playing this way (especially if previous wickets have been lost in a similar fashion). I've noticed this to occur, again regardless of difficulty (although it seems like as I increase difficulty, batsmen in general are both more capable, and more aggressive) and batsmen type (ie. Warner vs. Renshaw - they definitely play differently but they both tend to get out in this way). I can obviously stop bowling with this plan and adjust my immersion experience accordingly, but again I would love to hear people's thoughts on this issue, and learn whether there can be an appropriate solution (if necssary). It would be awesome if the AI can adjust to the bowling setup you give it (perhaps after a few mistakes/wickets, it learns/adapts): i.e. if the field is legside heavy and the batsmen is new/conservative, they duck consistently, forcing the bowler/user to change tactics.

These are the two primary issues that I wanted to bring forward to the community / hear thoughts on, there are other smaller bugs like run outs where both batsmen end up on the same end, (I've had that happen to me at least once in each Ashes test) or stumpings to drives on a spinner, but those are negligible and insignificant in terms of the effect they have on immersion for me.

Hope that helps, really want to help make this game better than it already is! :)

villafan001

Club Captain
Hey guys,

Hope everyone's doing well. I don't post very often, but I've been following/reading these forums pretty regularly since 2013. Just wanted to thank Big Ant Studios for such an amazing game, I've been playing Ashes Cricket pretty extensively since it's release on ps4 and it's blown my mind. The new animations along with all the other improvements have really changed the game for me, in terms of immersion. Thanks to the Studios + the amazing beta testing community, this is easily the best cricket game I've ever played.

Having said that, after playing the game for quite some time I wanted to bring forward a few things I've noticed, that presently are the major factors affecting immersion for me. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts, and confirm/reject the things that I've noticed.

Specifically for AI in Tests (I'm on the latest patch - 1.05):

1. It's hard to describe, but it feels like within any given over, as dot balls build up in the over, it's almost guaranteed that the 5th or 6th delivery the AI will attempt to play an aggressive shot and/or play a regular shot that's timed really well + in the gap. I initially started playing the game on Medium/Medium/Easy (Veteran), and moved on to Hardest/Hardest/Easy (Legend), and noticed that the ability to clear/successfully play this final aggressive shot increased as I moved from Veteran to Legend. Since my career is as a Software Dev, programatically it feels like the AI is given some run-rate specific goal (similar to Reinforcement Learning - i.e. 4/over in tests), and there's some aggressiveness/shot likelihood factor that's scaled as each dot ball is bowled. This definitely may not be how it's actually implemented, but I've noticed this time and time again (for both spinners and pace bowlers). This is one of the major things affecting immersion for me right now, where the first over of a test match you would bowl 4/5 really good deliveries / you're bowling to a specific plan (i.e. outswingers ouside off), and the AI would play accordingly, and even if I follow up the final delivery with an inswinging yorker (for example), the batsmen clears it for 4/6. I would love to hear if other players have noticed anything similar/different, it just feels like the AI forces a specific characteristic upon it's batting.

2. Tied with the above issue is that I've noticed short pitched bowling tends to be overly effective against the AI. I've been able to get almost all my wickets caught by bowling short Leg Cutters / Off Cutters, and setting a leg side heavy field. I can imagine this happening for really aggressive and/or confident (set) batsmen (that perhaps like to take on the short bowling regardless of the field), but it seems unrealistic for batsmen to continue playing this way (especially if previous wickets have been lost in a similar fashion). I've noticed this to occur, again regardless of difficulty (although it seems like as I increase difficulty, batsmen in general are both more capable, and more aggressive) and batsmen type (ie. Warner vs. Renshaw - they definitely play differently but they both tend to get out in this way). I can obviously stop bowling with this plan and adjust my immersion experience accordingly, but again I would love to hear people's thoughts on this issue, and learn whether there can be an appropriate solution (if necssary). It would be awesome if the AI can adjust to the bowling setup you give it (perhaps after a few mistakes/wickets, it learns/adapts): i.e. if the field is legside heavy and the batsmen is new/conservative, they duck consistently, forcing the bowler/user to change tactics.

These are the two primary issues that I wanted to bring forward to the community / hear thoughts on, there are other smaller bugs like run outs where both batsmen end up on the same end, (I've had that happen to me at least once in each Ashes test) or stumpings to drives on a spinner, but those are negligible and insignificant in terms of the effect they have on immersion for me.

Hope that helps, really want to help make this game better than it already is! :)
The AI often attacking the last ball of an over has been an issue in all three games to date, as far as I can tell.

That said, I’ve had many more maidens on this game than I ever got in DBC, if you put the ball in the right place with good timing it seems to work out.

cricket_online

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
My quick hit thoughts & impressions (mostly batting in Casual matches) after finally getting my hands on Ashes Cricket :-

Batting:
1. Batting is a lot more fluid compared to DBC 17 and I especially loved the back foot square drive/punch played through Point/Backward Point region (shot played as Maxwell).
2. Edges while batting are on the lower side.
3. My biggest gripe with batting has to be the weird pull shot played to a good length delivery (green length indicator) instead of a glance/flick. More often than not the delivery is too full to be pulled and yet you see the pull shot animation kick in and results in a weird pull which often results in the shot being edged in to the batsman's body. If it's possible I would love for this pull shot animation played off the good length delivery to be replaced by the more commonly played glance or flick shot off the legs/hips. IMO DBC 14 nailed it quite well. Flick/glance is a staple shot in cricket and in Ashes Cricket it's replaced by the weird pull shot and I sure hope blokes like @T.J.Hooker , @grkrama , @blockerdave and @WealeyH are bringing it to Big Ant's attention on a consistent basis. Glance/flick should be the "go to" shot on the leg side and not the pull shot.
4. Running between the wkts needs to be tweaked. The batsmen resemble oil tankers turning when you cancel a run. Another area of improvement is batsmen not sliding their bats in while taking runs leading to unnecessary run outs.
5. Lofted shots seem to be over-powered.

AI Fields and Fielding:
1. The AI fields need an overhaul. I played shorter formats and I rarely saw AI place more than 3 fielders outside the circle no matter what the situation.
2. The boundary riders for some odd reason are barely 3/4th of the way out instead of being right on the boundary. This combined with the overly aggressive AI fields leads to unrealistic (high) run rates.
3. User fielding is pretty easy even on Hard & Hardest fielding difficulty level. The user fielder can easily take a catch or stop the ball almost 8-10 feet away by dragging the LS into the circle and clicking X. It needs to be more difficult at higher levels coz I barely missed a chance even at higher fielding difficulty levels.

Miscellaneous:
1. Earned stats are displayed incorrectly as I got a phantom not out (*) awarded as the highest score as part of 'User Statistics'.
2. It almost always rains before a match in shorter formats. Even if you select chance of Rain as 'None' on a 'Fine' day, it still showed me 82% chance of rain at the time of toss.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Just had what would probably be my best game yet. Most enjoyable and most challenging. It was the first one I can remember losing.

Even though I've been playing Legend with Hard Batting and Bowling I haven't felt it to be competitive enough. I've bowled the AI teams out every time. So I pumped it up to Hardest/Hardest for a T20. Bowling still felt at times a little too one sided - I think that's more to do with the issues around AI running.

Batting on the other hand was different gravy. I was playing and missing more than the Australians were yesterday. A lot more challenging but I got the hang of it, probably too late after a constant flurry of wickets. When I eventually connected with a yorker for six over long on and despite only having one wicket in hand still had a chance despite needing 27 off the last 2 overs I was pumping the air. In the end stupid run outs and an even stupider stumping cost me in the end and I was 11 short of chasing 158.

I'd just love to be able to tweak with the controls in order to get my perfect set up. I'd like to have classic pace bowling but with no right hand side of the hud (the indicator for moving the right stick back and forth). I want to be able to pick my deliveries but not see the last part. I just end up watching that and I'd rather focus on the action. For spin bowling I've been playing with standard, because I dislike the turning of the left stick in classic, but I'd love to have the delivery action of classic for spin bowling and without the indicator. Although I'm guessing that might be a bit tough because of how you push a button now for the delivery. Can you use the L1 or R1 to adjust the length? I have been pressing it but haven't really checked the lengths.

For batting I'd really like to give it a proper go at playing the ring around the ball but when I have tried I just can't see the white ball. It blends in too much with the wicket and disappears. Maybe that's the limitations of the PS4 or the Batsman Far camera, if I'm right in calling it that (high and behind the batsman). I still don't enjoy the level of button modifiers that you have to press to play certain shots but that mainly means I just never bother coming down the wicket.

I've been playing with fully assisted fielding too which I'll be honest I'm quite liking. Still if I could have one thing with that it'd maybe be the ability to override the throw and send it to the end you want. The AI often seems to miss possible run out chances, not that many occur.

Mr Snrub

International Coach
I've been playing the game online and offline and it seems to be too easy to hit any ball for six - even on Legend difficulty. Is everyone having the same issue?

Not all players, but it seems a lot of people are experiencing it. Dropping Shot Force from 50 to around 30-40 seems to be a lot more normal from what I've read people trying, but still doesn't fully help how well timed some shots that shouldn't be are.

Users who are viewing this thread