Asia Cup March 2011/12

Atharv

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
:facepalm

My goodness! This is negativity at it's very best.

----------

If you don't want to see that Sehwag and Gambhir have been cut to size by BCCI , fine by me . Internal strife is nothing new, it happens in all teamsports . Team management just have to manage it . In Sehwag's case they failed . IMO Sehwag or Gambhir would have been better test captain. Dhoni's performance in tests has been pathetic in recent times and his captaincy looks a bit confused.

The curious case of Virender Sehwag - The Times of India

----------

Yes, it very much is directed to you.

dude, I don't even know you .

Rohit Doshi

International Coach
You are such a negative person. Sehwag a better captain then Dhoni? :lol He is epic fail and does nothing other then wondering how to just end this crap game if nothing goes for him.

Dhoni atleast will experiment and that is what captains do if nothing goes for them. Really bowling Raina and Kohli for last 2 overs was good captaincy from Sehwag? Dhoni experiments with captaincy, Sehwag experiments with his batting.

For Dhoni success rate of experimenting is 50% and for Sehwag its 5% :rolleyes:lol

He is such a flat track bully. I always thought and believed he would prove hsi critic wrong but no he has proved them right. Sehwag who isnt sure about his place in team and you want him as captain. :lol

On Gambhir cant comment much, he does not look captain material but have not seen him captain the side much

Atharv

Club Cricketer
You are such a negative person. Sehwag a better captain then Dhoni? :lol He is epic fail and does nothing other then wondering how to just end this crap game if nothing goes for him.

Dhoni atleast will experiment and that is what captains do if nothing goes for them. Really bowling Raina and Kohli for last 2 overs was good captaincy from Sehwag? Dhoni experiments with captaincy, Sehwag experiments with his batting.

For Dhoni success rate of experimenting is 50% and for Sehwag its 5% :rolleyes:lol

He is such a flat track bully. I always thought and believed he would prove hsi critic wrong but no he has proved them right. Sehwag who isnt sure about his place in team and you want him as captain. :lol

On Gambhir cant comment much, he does not look captain material but have not seen him captain the side much

You should read the OP properly before you reply to that post .

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC

Lol this is an epic post! :lol

So you feel Sehwag is a crap captain and does not experiment much! Well captaincy is not about experimenting but taking steps which do good for the team. Greg Chappell experimented, but Kirsten kept everything straight and simple. So according to your theory, Kirsten was a crap coach!

And you say that on experimentation, Dhoni has a success rate of 50% and Sehwag has the success rate of 5%. Wow! What a troll you are here. Can you please prove these statistics or are these just random values generated by your brain?

As a captain, Sehwag has a pretty good record.
Tests: Played 4 - Won 2 - Lost 1- Drew 1 (The only loss under his name as a captain came against Australia at Adelaide, the 4th test)
ODIs: Played 12 - Won 7 - Lost 5
T20Is: Played 1 - Won 1

Even as the captain of Delhi Daredevils, Sehwag has been awesome. He lead the team in the first two seasons, and each time the team reached the SFs. In the second season Delhi finished at the top of the league table with a huge margin! And in the previous season, Sehwag was the lone fighter for Delhi. He was the only batsman who clicked for the team, but the team was extremely bad, nobody except him performed well.

There have been several instances where Sehwag has made moves that have paid off. The most notable one being asking Dhoni not to end Ishant's spell and to get an extra slip! Ishant struck, he dismissed Ponting who was caught at slips (the position where the extra fielder was placed on Sehwag's recommendation).

You raise another point that Sehwag is a flat track bully! Well even I agree but what has that got to do with Sehwag not being a good captain for tests? At least Sehwag scores runs in the sub-continent, and that's good for team India as we play most of our matches in the sub-continent. Dhoni does not even score runs in the sub-continent, I wonder what he is doing in the test team. He should be nowhere near the national test side.

Rohit Doshi

International Coach
:lol:lol Dhoni should be no where near to the national side :lol

Epic man truly epic. I know you are a Sehwag fan but who cares what you think? Yes you are right, Sehwag has has topped Delhi Daredevils with points table but where in INDIA. Sehwag did well in 2nd edition? Do you even follow him or just blindly say I AM THE BIGGEST FAN?

He scored 198 runs with an average of 19.80, oh my god... how did this happen? Oh I know.. Second edition was played in SOUTH AFRICA. He is such a big loser overseas.

This is Sehwag's overseas record past 3 years and judging this record he should not have been even touring Australia.

Code:
Career summary Grouping	Span	Mat	Runs	HS	Bat Av	100	Wkts	BBI	Bowl Av	5	Ct	St	
v Australia	2011-2012	4	198	67	24.75	0	1	1/20	157.00	0	3	0	
v England	2011-2011	2	41	33	10.25	0	-	-	-	-	2	0	
v New Zealand	2009-2009	3	140	48	28.00	0	0	-	-	0	5	0	
v South Africa	2010-2011	3	144	63	24.00	0	-	-	-	-	2	0

Now this is Dhoni's average in those same time period against those same opposition(Mind you I am not even putting up displays against the Sri Lankan, Bangladesh team)

Code:
Career summary Grouping	Span	Mat	Runs	HS	Bat Av	100	Wkts	BBI	Bowl Av	5	Ct	St	
v Australia	2010-2012	5	148	57*	18.50	0	-	-	-	-	16	3	
v England	2011-2011	4	220	77	31.42	0	0	-	-	0	13	0	
v New Zealand	2009-2010	5	299	98	49.83	0	0	-	-	0	19	3	
v South Africa	2010-2011	5	342	132*	48.85	1	-	-	-	-	18	0	
v West Indies	2011-2011	6	262	144	29.11	1	-	-	-	-	23	3

So, the only place where Sehwag defeats Dhoni in terms of batting overseas is in Australia with a mere average difference of 8 which if Dhoni played the last match in the series might have leveled up. And see what's Dhoni doing in batting terms overseas in Australia and England.

So mate speak when you have facts right. Sehwag is epic fail who should never be near to Indian team when touring overseas.

A captain wicket keeper with average of 48,49,20,30,32 batting at 7 is pretty amazing

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
You don't have anything to say in defense of Dhoni's place in the test team and so you get away by posting three 'lol' smilies! Nice!

And now coming to your point of Sehwag not doing well in the 2nd edition of IPL in South Africa. Well, the team performed extremely well under his leadership. And if you can defend Dhoni for not performing but the team winning, then even I can defend Sehwag with the same reason! You are saying as if Dhoni has performed extremely well in tests!

And I don't know what you are trying to prove by posting overseas averages of Dhoni and Sehwag. Comparing the average of an opener with a batsman who bats at number 7 is meaningless.
And still if Sehwag has a better average than Dhoni against Australia, then undoubtedly Dhoni had an horrid tour and Sehwag performed far better than him.

You also state that Dhoni has performed well in England and Australia. Well those were the ODIs, we are talking about test matches right now. And now that you have brought in ODIs, I hope you have not forgotten that Sehwag averages more than 54 against New Zealand in New Zealand in 12 matches, scoring 600 odd runs at a SR of more than 100.

Even I said that Sehwag has not performed well outside subcontinent off late, and you make a post saying the same thing as if I opposed it. Though if you have a look at his entire career, he averages pretty well in overseas conditions. His form outside the subcontinent has dipped only in the last 3 years, but that should not be much of a concern as India plays most of it's matches in the subcontinent, which makes him one of the best batsmen we have.

Again I say that Mahendra Singh Dhoni is an ideal choice to lead us in the T20s and ODIs, but certainly not in tests. He does not even deserve to be in the test team. And I don't even say that Sehwag is an ideal choice, but he is a better choice than Dhoni. Either Sehwag or Gambhir should be the test skipper for 2-3 years. In the meantime, Kohli can be groomed and hopefully he cements his place in the test team too and then he can lead us in all 3 formats.

Champagnepapi

ICC Board Member
Kings XI
Profile Flag
Canada
this is going to be the standing as guess
  1. india 1st
  2. pakistan 2nd
  3. sirilanka 3rd
  4. bangladesh 4th
if i aint got the first 3 right i know i got the 4th right:p

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
BTW what do you guys think of Ashwin? I used to like some months back and was happy to see Bhajji dropped. But Ashwin was/is far from impressive in Australia.
Time to bring Harbhajan back?

You might classify me as an Ashwin fan, but trying to be as non-partial as I can, Ashwin can be given more time. This was his first overseas tour, and his second series of his CAREER! He still has very impressive figures overall in test cricket (6 tests, 31 wickets @ 5 wkts per match) although 22 of those wickets came at home against West Indies. He has kept the batsmen quiet most often, but his wickets column looked dry against Australia in the tests. In ODI's, he is good enough because his economy is always on the lower side which is great for ODI's and T20's, and he picks up the wickets more often than not. Also I dont see great things done by Harbhajan or Ojha in domestic cricket to bring them back. Keep Ashwin and Rahul Sharma as our spinners right now and give them more chances and then see where we can go.

----------

Dhoni is not the guy to lead us in test cricket, but the same case with Sehwag. Sehwag right now doesnt even warrant a place in the test side seeing his performances. I dont see a future for him in the test side especially in overseas conditions (same as it is with Dhoni). And as captain, I see Sehwag's shoulders dropping faster when things are not going his way. Dont see him motivating the players and pulling things back from the bottom (Dhoni also does it, but sometimes he gambles with certain moves which pay off).

Sehwag should never captain India again. And as far as his test future is concerned, I would say its bleak unless he rectifies his technique drastically, which at his age is MIGHTY TOUGH!

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
]BTW what do you guys think of Ashwin? I used to like some months back and was happy to see Bhajji dropped. But Ashwin was/is far from impressive in Australia.
Time to bring Harbhajan back?

One has to give more time to Ashwin. This was just his second overseas tour. England and Australia are not the ideal place for spinners and he was bowling there for first time.

My concern is his line and length though. In ODI's he came round the wicket right away just as Harbhajan. Harbhajan was doing that from last 2 and half years and Ashwin is adopting same strategy. As Gangully said that if he wants to take wickets, he has to come over the wicket and bowl outside off stump but by coming round the wicket, he is just trying to control runs and not thinking about taking wickets.

----------

And we can end Sehwag vs Dhoni discussion anytime now.

BKB1991

Panel of Selectors
Well.. Well.. Sachin will get his best chance to score his much awaited century against Bangladesh.....

hmm.. The New aggressive captain of Pakistan can be the one who lead the side in the last world cup but it seems that currently Misbah will retain the captaincy.

I dont understand the Misbah hate. Certainly no one is blaming any of the other batsman who clearly showed a lack of spine in the final overs of the T20. UAkmal missed and got out, Shafiq also wasted his innings in the end.

Misbah is not a long term ODI option, but granted that Younis is out of form in the ODIs, Hafeez's golden run coming to an end, and UAkmal and Shafiq still not mature enough, Misbahs position in the side is CRUCIAL. Hes already turned Pakistans fortunes around in the TEST, cant we give him some decent amount of time in the ODIs? He has been criticised for 3rd T20 but you remember the 2nd T20? He held the innings together at a tough time.

I am not against Afridis captaincy, I would prefer him over Misbah, but this is captaining the national team not a game of musical chairs. Stability has been the key to Pakistans resurgence and should remain so.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
I dont understand the Misbah hate. Certainly no one is blaming any of the other batsman who clearly showed a lack of spine in the final overs of the T20. UAkmal missed and got out, Shafiq also wasted his innings in the end.

Misbah is not a long term ODI option, but granted that Younis is out of form in the ODIs, Hafeez's golden run coming to an end, and UAkmal and Shafiq still not mature enough, Misbahs position in the side is CRUCIAL. Hes already turned Pakistans fortunes around in the TEST, cant we give him some decent amount of time in the ODIs? He has been criticised for 3rd T20 but you remember the 2nd T20? He held the innings together at a tough time.

I am not against Afridis captaincy, I would prefer him over Misbah, but this is captaining the national team not a game of musical chairs. Stability has been the key to Pakistans resurgence and should remain so.

You are right in your view, I agree with most of this, But prolonging Misbah in the One Days and T-20's will none other than reducing our time of a long-run planning. He was never a One Day International and Twenty Twenty Material to be honest but there is a strange tradition in our country and culture that we can't have separate captains of each format, we as public cant just digest it and start making comparisons and eventually it all leads to a fuss in the end.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Dhoni is not the guy to lead us in test cricket, but the same case with Sehwag. Sehwag right now doesnt even warrant a place in the test side seeing his performances. I dont see a future for him in the test side especially in overseas conditions (same as it is with Dhoni). And as captain, I see Sehwag's shoulders dropping faster when things are not going his way. Dont see him motivating the players and pulling things back from the bottom (Dhoni also does it, but sometimes he gambles with certain moves which pay off).

Sehwag should never captain India again. And as far as his test future is concerned, I would say its bleak unless he rectifies his technique drastically, which at his age is MIGHTY TOUGH!
Why doesn't Sehwag warrant a place in the test team! Have a look at his recent test record, he has scored 4023 runs in the last 4 years at an average of 52.24. And don't forget his strike rate of 90! One ordinary tour and you say that he does not even warrant a place in the team, not fair at all.
I term the Australian tour ordinary but not bad because if you compare his performance with other Indian batsmen, he performed above average. He was one of the 3 Indian batsmen who scored two 50+ scores in the series.

Not saying this as a fan of Sehwag, and trying to be as unbiased as I can, Sehwag comfortably warrants a place in the test team.

And it's a well known fact that Sehwag is a beast at the subcontinental pitches. In the last 4 years, Sehwag has scored 2369 runs at an average of 64.02 with a SR of 95 at home. The 2nd batsman in terms of runs and average is Sachin who has scored 1709 runs at an average of 58.93. Sachin is more than 650 runs behind Sehwag. Not at all doubting Sachin's greatness, but just trying to say that Sehwag is the best batsman we have for subcontinental matches.
And as the test matches for the next 2-2.5 years are to be played in the subcontinent, I see no harm in appointing Sehwag as the skipper and grooming Kohli in the meanwhile.

As far as Sehwag's captaincy skills go, I would say that you can't judge him as a captain so early. Just as you said that Ashwin hasn't got much opportunities and so he should not be dropped, similarly Sehwag has not got much opportunities as a captain to prove how good he is. He has been the skipper of the team in bits and pieces, and lifting up the team suddenly when appointed as the skipper for 1 or 2 games is difficult.

Paki007

Panel of Selectors
Junaid Khan is out of Asia cup so Cheema will be the first choice of Management as 2nd seamer as they dont seem to be Riaz's fans

Users who are viewing this thread