Aussie_Ben91's Modern-Day Fantasy Test Draft

I'd say his performances against Sri Lanka and South Africa are probably better reflections of his ability. But we'll never get to know for sure - whoever his manager and physiotherapist were, they both ought to look for new careers.
Australia and India have better batting lineups. Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Hayden & Dravid all struggled against Bond and they are 5 of the best batsman of the modern era.

Australia and India have better batting lineups. Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Hayden & Dravid all struggled against Bond and they are 5 of the best batsman of the modern era.

If you used him in short spells he did good work, but IIRC his performances suffered when he was tired / didn't get early breakthroughs. Haven't seen him play in a long time, though.

Reckon he's a good pick for your line-up - you should be able to squeeze in four pace bowlers (incl. Kallis) and a spinner, so Bond would only ever be bowling at his best.

Pick 1: Justin Langer
Explanation: A member of the fantastic Australian side of the 90's and 00's Langer is one of the grittiest and most detirmined openers you'll see. As a Test opener Langer scored 5112 runs at an average of 48.22, with 16 Test hundreds under his belt, 22 in his career as a whole. One of the most respected men in cricket, and one of the better openers of the era.

Pick 2: Shoaib Akhtar
Explanation: Pace and wicket taking ability are the order of the day here. Shoaib Akhtar is one of the quickest and most aggressive fast bowlers we've seen play the game. He has a vicious bouncer and a superb yorker, and a slower ball that can decieve even the best of players. In one game between Pakistan and England, Akhtar bowled 4 slower balls in a row to England skipper Michael Vaughan, Vaughan missed all of them. His slingy action allowed him to generate extreme pace, and although the last few years of his career have been marred by controversy and injury, it can take nothing away from a guy who is a superbly talented and genuinely quick bowler.

1. Justin Langer
4. Sachin Tendulkar
6. Kumar Sangakkara +
8. Shaun Pollock
10. Waqar Younis
11. Shoaib Akhtar

Code:
01.01 : King Pietersen		Sachin Tendulkar
01.02 : Manee			Glenn McGrath
01.03 : Dare			Brian Lara
01.04 : Mrtwisties		Shane Warne
01.05 : Aussie_Ben91		Matthew Hayden

02.01 : Aussie_Ben91		Jacques Kallis
02.02 : King Pietersen		Kumar Sangakkara
02.03 : Manee			Adam Gilchrist
02.04 : Dare			Curtly Ambrose
02.05 : Mrtwisties		Muttiah Muralitharan

03.01 : Mrtwisties		Wasim Akram
03.02 : Aussie_Ben91		Allan Donald
03.03 : King Pietersen		Shaun Pollock
03.04 : Manee			Ricky Ponting
03.05 : Dare			Graeme Smith

04.01 : Dare			Courtney Walsh
04.02 : Mrtwisties		Rahul Dravid
04.03 : Aussie_Ben91		Steve Waugh
04.04 : King Pietersen		Waqar Younis
04.05 : Manee			Dale Steyn

05.01 : Manee			Kevin Pietersen
05.02 : Dare			Andy Flower
05.03 : Mrtwisties		Gautam Gambhir
05.04 : Aussie_Ben91		Shane Bond
05.05 : King Pietersen		Justin Langer

06.01 : King Pietersen		Shoaib Akhtar
06.02 : Manee			
06.03 : Dare			
06.04 : Mrtwisties		
06.05 : Aussie_Ben91

07.01 : Aussie_Ben91
07.02 : King Pietersen
07.03 : Manee
07.04 : Dare
07.05 : Mrtwisties
Manee, you are up next.

Dare, also remember that you are after Manee.

New ball would probably go to Shoaib and Waqar, the 2 guys likely to generate most swing. Polly at his best will be dangerous at anytime, and it's an attack that should be potent with new and old ball, with Shoaib and Waqar being excellent exponents of reverse swing. Also got Tendulkar in who is apparently as talented as Warne in terms of bowling, so we're sorted in the spin department as well :p

Pick: Andrew Flintoff
Explanation: Indeed, as if an explanation was needed. Andrew Flintoff, since his golden year in 2004 has been a superb bowler - he combines occasionally blistering pace with unnerving accuracy, seam movement and bounce. With Gilchrist now moved upwards to bat at 6, Flintoff can find a position as one of the strongest number seven batsmen's in the world, today.

3. Ricky Ponting (capt)
4. Kevin Pietersen
6. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
7. Andrew Flintoff
10. Dale Steyn
11. Glenn Mcgrath

Bloody hell Manee. First you steal Steyn, then you steal Pietersen and now you've stolen Flintoff. 3 of my picks gone. I dislike you greatly at this present moment.

Code:

03.02 : Aussie_Ben91		Allan Donald
03.03 : King Pietersen		Shaun Pollock
03.04 : Manee			Ricky Ponting
03.05 : Dare			Graeme Smith

04.01 : Dare			Courtney Walsh
04.02 : Mrtwisties		Rahul Dravid
04.03 : Aussie_Ben91		Steve Waugh
04.04 : King Pietersen		Waqar Younis
04.05 : Manee			Dale Steyn

05.01 : Manee			Kevin Pietersen
05.02 : Dare			Andy Flower
05.03 : Mrtwisties		Gautam Gambhir
05.04 : Aussie_Ben91		Shane Bond
05.05 : King Pietersen		Justin Langer

06.01 : King Pietersen		Shoaib Akhtar
06.02 : Manee			Andrew Flintoff
06.03 : Dare			
06.04 : Mrtwisties		
06.05 : Aussie_Ben91

07.01 : Aussie_Ben91
07.02 : King Pietersen
07.03 : Manee
07.04 : Dare
07.05 : Mrtwisties
Dare, you are up.

First of I just want to say how good of a thread this is, you guys really know your stuff. I would say Manee is in front at the moment, but only just. Kp and Ben also have very good teams. I'm guessing the winner will come down to who ever can find the best late round talent, and how they fit in with the rest of the team.

When I was reading this the other day, I started to think how long until Shane Bond was picked. I agree that he was a great ODI bowler, he always bowled so well against Australia but he really didn't play enough Test Cricket in my mind. But oh well, on his day he was one of the best.

I would say Manee is in front at the moment,

Oh really? I'm quite surprised to hear that.

manee added 1 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

Bloody hell Manee. First you steal Steyn, then you steal Pietersen and now you've stolen Flintoff. 3 of my picks gone. I dislike you greatly at this present moment.

On the other hand, you stole Waqar and Shoaib.

Ah touch?. You wanted Waqar and Shoaib then? I'm beginning to become pretty stuck for ideas on who to pick next. There are a few guys I'm interested in getting into my team, but they'll almost certainly be gone by the time I come round to picking. I'm just glad I've managed to pick up a couple of really good batsmen before they all go, especially happy with having Tendulkar in.

Ah touch?. You wanted Waqar and Shoaib then? I'm beginning to become pretty stuck for ideas on who to pick next. There are a few guys I'm interested in getting into my team, but they'll almost certainly be gone by the time I come round to picking. I'm just glad I've managed to pick up a couple of really good batsmen before they all go, especially happy with having Tendulkar in.

I wanted Shoaib and Langer and you took them both in one turn.

Pick: Mohammad Yousuf
Explanation: Needed to take another middle order batsman. Yousuf is/was one of the best Test batsman before the ICL issue came about. He broke the record for most runs in a calendar year and the record for most centuries in consecutive matches. A stroke maker like Yousuf will complement Lara really well in the middle order.

1. Greame Smith
3. Mohammad Yousuf
4. Brian Lara
6. Andy Flower+
10. Curtly Ambrose
11. Courtney Walsh

Last edited:
KP, you've picked the three fast bowlers that I was considering after Donald was taken - Pollock, Younis and Akhtar. I'm now going to have to bust out an underrated gem to complete my new ball attack, and I have no idea where I'll get an all-rounder for first change (would've picked Flintoff earlier, but I think he's an injury-ridden chump). Might have to deploy an unorthodox bowling lineup rather than diluting the quality of my players.

2z40nmb.jpg

Pick: Mahela Jayawardene
Explanation: My lineup just scored another incredibly consistent batsman with good technique and temperament. Jayawardene has averaged 58+ since being given a stable position at number 4, but it's his consistency in doing so that really attracts me to him. Most of the other great middle order batsmen have had Test careers with a lot of ups and downs, but Jaywardene just keeps churning out the runs.

He also strengthens what is already a very strong inner-ring fielding lineup. You might have noticed I'm picking a lot of these guys - I'm trying to equip my spinners to restrict runs and take wickets on any surface.

1. Gautam Gambhir
3. Rahul Dravid
4. Mahela Jayawardene
8. Wasim Akram
9. Shane Warne (c)
10. Muttiah Muralitharan

Last edited:
_44331909_kumble416.jpg

Anil Kumble - The 3rd leading wicket-taker in the history of the game and one of the few men to have taken 10 wickets in an innings. Once bowled with a broken jaw and used to have a pretty mean mustache. He brings 132 matches of experience and is an exceptional player. Seeing as Warney & Murali were snapped up so early in the draft by the same person; I'm quite shocked that someone hasn't taken the opportunity to select him earlier. A bit've bargain pick for the 6th round.

Inzamam-Ul-Haq.jpg

Inzamam-ul-Haq - I wanted Mohammad Yousuf because of the number 4 slot, but since he was taken then I decided I would take Inzamam-ul-Haq. Certainly not one of the most flamboyant of characters but a mentally strong one that churned out runs for Pakistani for years. He has one of the highest averages in the history of the game in won matches (49 wins, 4690 runs @ 78.16) and has scored the 7th most runs out of all of the batsmen in this draft. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this selection because most Pakistani fans would rate Inzamam ahead of Mohammad Yousuf.

2. Matthew Hayden
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Inzamam-ul-Haq
5. Steve Waugh (c)
9. Anil Kumble
10. Shane Bond
11. Allan Donald

aussie_ben91 added 19 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

Code: