Australia in England - 2009 Ashes Tour

What will be the result of The Ashes?

• Total voters
That was a stupid move by our selectors. Clark bearly played in the ODI series and he would have gained nothing from it.

My XI for the Sophia Gardens test:

1. Andrew Strauss (c)
2. Alastair Cook
3. Ravi Bopara
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Paul Collingwood
6. Matt Prior (wk)
7. Andrew Flintoff
8. Stuart Broad
9. Graeme Swann
10. James Anderson
11. Monty Panesar

Mine:

1. Andrew Strauss (c)
2. Alastair Cook
3. Ravi Bopara
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. Paul Collingwood
6. Matt Prior (wk)
7. Stuart Broad
8. Andrew Flintoff
9. Graeme Swann
10. James Anderson
11. Graham Onions

I think we need two spinners in Cardiff. And Freddie is a better batsman than Broad.

I think that Flintoff's recent form means that Broad is a preferable option at seven. I also think that two spinners would be preferable at Cardiff but that Swann is the only England qualified spinner of Test match quality at the moment. Until Monty takes some FC wickets, he is not convincing me otherwise.

I would go with Panesar. Usually I'd be reluctant to ever play 2 spinners in England especially when ones out of form but when Glamorgan are getting fined because their pitch is so bad you know there's something in it. If Rashid had bowled well so far he could have forced himself into the side but being honest he isn't really ready.

Last edited:
Well it's probably save to say Monty and Onions would be in the XII, with a final decision made based on the pitch state. Aussies will probably follow the 'one less' rule, and play Hauritz if England plays 2 spinners, play 4 quicks if Swann is England's only tweaker and rely on North, Katich, Symonds and Clarke for some quick overs (depending on who makes the final squad of course - Katich and Clarke are definites).

We would be wasting a bowler by picking Panesar as he is not in any kind of form. 4 wickets in 4 f/c matches at 75.50. I would rather play a fast bowler in form and let Pietersen help Swann with the spin.

Ashes squad: Ricky Ponting (captain), Michael Clarke (vice captain), Philip Hughes, Simon Katich, Michael Hussey, Marcus North, Shane Watson, Brad Haddin (wk), Mitchell Johnson, Stuart Clark, Peter Siddle, Nathan Hauritz, Brett Lee, Ben Hilfenhaus, Andrew McDonald, Graham Manou (wk)

Our 11 could vary a bit but I think we will take Hauritz given the nature of the pitch.

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
North
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
Siddle
Clark

Hopefully swing won't be too much of a factor as we wouldn't have one with that 11. With Lee back and Hilfenhaus not taking his opportunity in SA, Lee will probably take Hauritz spot for the non spinning deck. Watson might make that 11 if he can bowl so that we still have a 4th seamer.

I just saw the news on cricinfo about the squad listing.

Symonds is way better then North and McDonald.

Watson is a good player, but he is going to break down again and then you need a player like Symonds. But he should be a first choice in the team.

So no Andrew Symonds for the ashes, Watson got in front of him. What will the Aussie team look like?

1.P.Hughes
2.S.Katich
3.R.Ponting
4.M.Hussey
5.M.Clarke
6.B.Haddin
7.S.Watson
8.M.Johnson
9.B.Lee
10.N.Hauritz
11.S.Clark/P.Siddle

That would be my team.

McDonald bowling is above Symonds and that is what hes been picked on. I don't rate it myself but he did his job in SA and has been rewarded. Batting wise North won't throw his wicket away like Symonds and again he was part of the winning side in SA. Symonds only chance of making the squad was through Watson.

I think Howsie's team is the most correct one.

I don't think England will mind that Symonds won't play in the Ashes.

Siddle should be a shoe in for the side with his bowling performance and Clark's accuracy means he should be one. Johnson is already a shoe in for the side and hence I don't see a spot for Lee if Hauritz is picked.

Users who are viewing this thread