Australia in England - 2009 Ashes Tour

What will be the result of The Ashes?

• Total voters
All perhaps except Clarke down the hill.

Also there were Hayden, Gilchrist, Martyn who were damn good players of spin.

We're talking about late 2007, the team looked like this:

Jaques
Hayden
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
etc

Poor Jaques, I hope he gets another chance soon. He's simply too good a batsman to have such a short career, waited for years while dominating the domestic circuit for Langer to retire, and then an injury sees him lose his spot.

Just been confirmed that the Ashes will be referral free. Right call at this stage as it was a circus during the tour of SA.

Fantastic news. What a gash system that is.

Well there's nothing like getting people used to a system than by making it mandatory as it will be from October onwards. Playing some series with and some series without was stupid. There are heaps of levels of cricket to try the system in, without choosing just random series here and there. I'd rather ALL series had it, so I'm kinda happy it's coming in.

I think it can be a good system. Apart from those stuff ups in the West Indies, most of the problems has been PLAYER driven. For starters the players are terrible at 'playing umpire' and often look like idiots for referring decisions. And they often refer stupid things, like close LBWs. Unlikely those will get overturned unless they are dead plum. But as mentioned by Lorgat, it's cut down on attitude problems, mostly because the players have realised how hard it is to umpire.

But anyway, I see Ponting has come out and said he thinks England are a good chance to pick Vaughn and Harmison and he mentioned Sidebottom coming back too, when asked if Onions would stay in the team.
Source: Cricinfo - Ponting expects Vaughan to return

Reactions, England fans? Is Ponting clueless? Or is there a chance Vaughn, Harmison or Sidebottom could sniff the Ashes?

I think he's talking rubbish. Vaughan's not done enough to even be considered for recall. Harmison will not be in the side either. Onions took a 5fer on Test debut at Lords, he will not be dropped unless he has a disaster in this Test. I expect the team for Cardiff to be:

Strauss *
Cook
Bopara
Pietersen
Collingwood
Prior +
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Onions

If it's not that I'll be disappointed. Bopara cannot be dropped after 2 consecutive hundreds. I'm hoping he gets another score today just to cement his place. If Vaughan and Harmison play then England will lose, they're no longer 2 of the best 11 players in England.

Pontings playing mind games here. Every aussie would love to see Vaughn and Harmlesson in the England team for the Ashes.

As always. Welcome back to 2007, Ricky.

Well I'm sure he wouldn't mind going back to 2007. Australia walloped everyone they played in the World Cup and he scored 5 ODI hundreds in that year in only 24 innings, averaging 79.

But yeah, maybe it's a way to try and get England to try and select Harmison.

I believe the England XI will be
Strauss
Cook
Bopara (can't drop him now)
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Prior
Broad
Swann
Andersen
Onions/Sidebottom

what happened to Hoggard?

I dont see Bell or Vaughan making it in unless Flintoff struggles.

Australia's 16 man touring party will be.
1. Katich
2. Hughes
3. Ponting
4. MHussey
5. Clarke
6. Watson
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Lee
10. Hilfenhaus
11. Clark

the rest
12. Siddle
13. Hauritz
14. Marsh
15. North
16. Manou

Possibles
Bollinger
McDonald
Hodge
Symonds

I believe the England XI will be
Strauss
Cook
Bopara (can't drop him now)
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Prior
Broad
Swann
Andersen
Onions/Sidebottom

Injury permitting I'd say that is pretty much the team that England will send out for the first Ashes Test at least. With a slight and only slight possibility that Monty may come in if there's a spinning wicket altough Monty has been poorish this year so I don't see it but theres the idea knocking about that the Aussies can't play Spin very well of late

Cardiff will turn. Danish Kaneria was getting some real turn there in the Glamorgan-Essex game. I'd be tempted to leave Freddie out, let him get to full fitness with Lancs and play Panesar. Going with an XI of:

Strauss
Cook
Bopara
Pietersen
Collingwood
Prior
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Onions/Sidebottom
Panesar

Then Monty drops out for Fred in the 2nd Test. I'd be happy to see that at Cardiff!

Users who are viewing this thread