Australia in England - 2009 Ashes Tour

What will be the result of The Ashes?

• Total voters
I'm sorry but how often is a 20 year old man reffered to as a teenager.
He is 20 now, but he started as a 19 year old.

Precambrian said:
Rip? Lolz. He had good series against SA, who admittedly possesses perhaps the third best batting lineup in the world. Against India we saw he struggle direly. So did Johnson.
Struggled direly? He played one match, and picked up 4 wickets which made him equal with Johnson as our best bowler for that match. Not bad for his first test match.

Premabrian said:
He's yet to play a decent spinner.

He's yet to play in the subcontinent, the NZ, Aus, England, and WI.

He's yet to lose his virginity.

So let's give him time.
So he's done as much as Mendis then.

Fear Onions? Nah. Decent hit the deck type bowler (judging from 2matches i've seen of him but i've been told he's more of a swing bowler by i think King Pietersen) but i think he won't be anything left field. Fear Swann. Oh hell yes. That guy will be an absolute nightmare to our middle order. He's topping the test bowling list at the moment (for this year at i think 23 wickets with 18ish runs average) and he's got good variation. And he's a spin bowler. And he performed in places that have barely any advantage to spin. As for Hughes let the guy perform. If anything he could pull off a Damien Martyn and be out of the side for 10 years.

He's not a swing bowler, but he doesn't bang the ball in either. He's the sort of inbetween length, gets abit of movement off the deck, abit of swing with the new ball and at good pace. He's certainly not a Harmison-esque hit the deck bowler.

That's partly because of the pitches in India dude. South African pitches have a lot more juice in them to give the quickies some assistance with seam and bounce. Makes a lot of difference.
SA pitches are the most helpful to pace bowlers. So I would wait for some more time before passing judgement on how good the guy is.

Hughes couldn't even make his double century lol, what a loser. :p

England will eat him up for breakfeast with that type of failure.

Hopefully he has not peaked early.

Precambrian added 3 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

Siddle would've owned India on an Australian or South African pitch.
With his moobs, definitely the womens team.

Just noticed, why is he banned for the umpteenth time?

I hope Hughes has peaked early. Just to annoy Ben after his claims that Hughes will be the greatest opening batsman of all-time :rolleyes:

Banned for being a twat in the AFL thread I presume.

SA pitches are the most helpful to pace bowlers. So I would wait for some more time before passing judgement on how good the guy is.

Exactly.

I made my statement to try and remind you that the pitches in India are harder to bowl on and that just because Johnson or Siddle struggled in India doesn't mean much. I thought you were implying that India's much vaunted batting was the reason for the difference in returns for Johnson and Siddle when in India and South Africa. I think that's wrong. Even the great and mighty Indian batting side managed to crack 300 (even 250) only once in 6 innings in their last tour of SA when Ntini and Pollock bowled well. It's just a tougher place to bat and therefore easier as a bowler. The real truth for Johnson and Siddle is somewhere in between their performances in the Indian and South African series.

Onions has form on his side, he was killing it during the County season and now hes killing the Windies. If he carries that form to the Ashes he could well be in the wickets. Swann has been great so far, can't believe people wanted Rashid over him.

Seeing as how we're struggling against swing and spin so badly, this could be quite a tight series. How the hell we ever got troubled by jokers like Harris and Botha just amazes me when we've easily overcome the likes of Murali.

Seeing as how we're struggling against swing and spin so badly, this could be quite a tight series. How the hell we ever got troubled by jokers like Harris and Botha just amazes me when we've easily overcome the likes of Murali.
Because the quality of players while playing Murali were miles better than when playing Botha and Harris?

Users who are viewing this thread