Australia in England - 2009 Ashes Tour

What will be the result of The Ashes?

• Total voters
Looks like a new layout to the commentary, that must be what they were testing at Cricinfo.

The Barmy army are at it again eh... lol imagine 50 years from now this would be considered fact. Shudders...

Anyone know if Adam Voges is likely to be called up for the ODI squad against England this summer?

England if you want to beat us easily.
Get rid of all your pace bowlers an go with a team full of spinners.

They dont even have to be good spinners coz the way we play spin these days even crap ones will dominate us.

Jimmy Anderson is surely going to be included after he picked up 6 wickets for us in the LVCC against Sussex :)

It shouldn't be his 6fer against Sussex that gets him into the team, nor should it be his form in the last year that gets him in either. Anderson is a shoe-in for the England side for one reason and one reason only; his hair.

Brett Lee would not be in Australia's Ashes squad if it was picked today and faces a race against time to avoid being a stunning omission for the tour of England.

High-placed Australian sources insist Lee is behind schedule in his recovery from foot and ankle surgery, and it would not be the shock of the century if he was overlooked for the Ashes.

Lee's Ashes hopes going up in smoke - Cricket - Fox Sports

I wouldn't have him in my squad anyway, too much of a risk especially with hardly any matches under his belt.

It shouldn't be his 6fer against Sussex that gets him into the team, nor should it be his form in the last year that gets him in either. Anderson is a shoe-in for the England side for one reason and one reason only; his hair.
Virender Sehwag has a better looking haircut then James Anderson. Fact.

Anyways, taking 6fer against Sussex is the equivalent to taking 4fer in the local 3rd grade competition throughout Sydney.

Virender Sehwag has a better looking haircut then James Anderson. Fact.

Anyways, taking 6fer against Sussex is the equivalent to taking 4fer in the local 3rd grade competition throughout Sydney.
Don't talk such utter tripe.

Since the start of the Ashes in 2005, only 3 English batsman have averaged over 40 against the strongest Test nations in world cricket (Australia, India, Pakistan, South Africa & Sri Lanka)

Cricinfo Statsguru - Test matches - Batting records

Pietersen - 3128 runs @ 49.65, 11 hundreds
Collingwood - 2093 runs @ 43.60, 5 hundreds
Cook - 1988 runs @ 42.29, 5 hundreds
Strauss - 2164 runs @ 37.31, 7 hundreds
Bell - 2153 runs @ 37.12, 5 hundreds
Prior - 326 runs @ 29.63, 0 hundreds

England's bowlers haven't done much better either, Not one regular bowler averaging under 30 with the ball (highly doubtful Trimlett will feature in the Ashes). Flintoff is the only bowler with respectable figures and considering Hoggard isn't going to be brought back? These stats are record from there performances since July 2005 against Australia, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka & South Africa

Cricinfo Statsguru - Test matches - Bowling records

Flintoff - 87 wickets @ 31.82
Harmison - 75 wickets @ 36.33
Panesar - 77 wickets @ 38.16
Anderson - 46 wickets @ 40.86
Sidebottom - 19 wickets @ 42.89
Broad - 11 wickets @ 56.45
Swann - 8 wickets @ 39.50

As you can tell from this statistics, they are pretty poor. Almost minnow-esque. I actually think that Zimbabwe of 1995-2003 would be a more even contest then the Ashes this year. I mean, atleast Zimbabwe had a bowler averaging under 30 in Test Cricket. :laugh

Lee's Ashes hopes going up in smoke - Cricket - Fox Sports

I wouldn't have him in my squad anyway, too much of a risk especially with hardly any matches under his belt.
If he plays a test, England will win it, comfortably. The only bowler that deserves a recall after missing the SA tour is Stuart Clark. Count on our selectors not to put two and two together though and realise that the reason we started winning was because Lee and Symonds weren't playing.

Users who are viewing this thread