Australia in England - 2009 Ashes Tour

What will be the result of The Ashes?

• Total voters
No he wouldn't. Hoggard's passed it. He's lost the nip he had in 2005, his pace is the same, but he just doesn't have the same nip and doesn't hit the bat anywhere near as hard as he used to, and there is a far better swing/seam bowler at his pace in county cricket anyway, Mark Davies. Broad's going to prove you wrong, can't wait, just like I was proven wrong regarding Mitchell Johnson.

No he wouldn't. Hoggard's passed it. He's lost the nip he had in 2005, his pace is the same, but he just doesn't have the same nip and doesn't hit the bat anywhere near as hard as he used to, and there is a far better swing/seam bowler at his pace in county cricket anyway, Mark Davies. Broad's going to prove you wrong, can't wait, just like I was proven wrong regarding Mitchell Johnson.

Let England bring back Goughy boy.. :D I always loved to see his sharp yorkers! Brilliant servant of English cricket :hpraise

One thing which I wonder is,

Is English bowling attack(Harmison,Jones,Hoggard, Flintoff) >> English bowling attack( Gough, Cork, Mullaly, Caddick)?????

I seriously felt those boys during Gough period had best potential and considered them as deadly bowling than the bowlers of victorious Ashes. But again I wonder how England never been able to win Aussies even once? :what

Harmison, etc. During their plomp those 4 were much more deadly than the other 4. Gough and Caddick were strong, but I don't think the 3rd and 4th bowlers were as strong as Flintoff and Jones were.

In a few years time people won't remember the 5-0 Whitewash of England in 2006/07 but instead they'll be remembering Stuart Broad.

Following the Ashes series this year, everyone will be remembering a special tribute video to Stuart Broad, whos International career was tradgetically cut short from a lack of cricketing ability. :laugh

The last time Bell got dropped was in 2006. He came back with 3 centuries in Pakistan. So no doubt he has the hunger to succeed. That could play in the selectors mind. Personally (from a neutral point of view) i'd go with Vaughan. However i want Aus to win so go with James Anderson! As for Broad don't forget it will be a testing time for Hughes. If Hughes fails in an Ashes tour he may follow the path of Damien Martyn or Jason Gillespie. So i'd tone it down ben.

Does the guy above know nything about cricket or is he trying to be the english version of Ben!

Right i think the best action is to ignore it. Pretend the post never existed. I keep asking this but what are the chances of Simon Jones making it to the Ashes? Also whats up with Swann?

Still some time to go before the Ashes but heres my 2 cents worth.

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
North
Haddin
Johnson
Lee
Siddle
Clark

I like the look of this team, specially the bowling attack. No spinner but I think we should just pick the best 4 bowlers in the country with North bowling few overs as well*. If Clark is back to full fitness he will own Cook,Flintoff and Collingwood IMO. All 3 of them have trouble playing balls just outside the off stump and Clark can put the ball there all day along. I have a feeling that they wont enjoy facing Siddle either. But again the key will be Johnson , there will be few nervous Englishmen after watching Mitch destroy the saffers. We need Mitch to really get stuck in to KP and intimidate him from ball 1. He doesn't enjoy facing really quick bowlers. MJ vs KP battle is going to awesome...

*A spinner should come in for Lee if the pitch is really helping the slow bowlers. I think McGain should get another go but I happy with Hauritz for now. Hes not a game breaker but he will do a job for the team. Hilfy will do well in English conditions but at this stage of his career I dont think he can more than Lee. I know Lee hasn't done much in the last 6 months but his experience will be vital for this young attack. He is a pretty handy 4th bowling option anyway.

Looking at the batting , our middle order look little brittle with punter and huss bit out of form. Clarke can be little hit or miss as well but all 3 of them are TOP CLASS players so I expect them to step up. They all love playing against poms as well (who doesn't). If these 3 players play well we will win , no ifs or buts about that. I expect Hughes and Katich to get us off to good starts. Lot of pressure on young Hughes with all the media hype but it wouldnt bother him one little bit.Having North at 6 will shore up the batting if we have any wobbles in the top order.

Its an absolute bonus to have Haddin and MJ at 7 and 8 though, if the top & middle order get amongst runs these 2 have the fire power to destroy the bowling. They also have the technique to rebuild the innings if we are in real strife. Haddin and Johnson combined can do the job Gilly has been doing so well over the years. Lee , Siddle and Clark are pretty handy tail enders (if you can call them that) so the lower order batting depth is just insane. English bowlers will have to work extra hard if they want to get 20 wickets.

Australia are clearly the better team IMO so if everyone is fit and firing we should be able to get the job done. We cant take anything for granted , England will put up a spirited fight no doubt and they have some good players in that team. But I think we just have that extra class to get the chocolates. All in all it will be a ripper series.

Australia to win 3-1. Johnson for MOTS. :D

I think we can all breathe a sigh of relief in England. Clark as been called up to the Australian squad for South Africa immediately (and against Pakistan in UAE), so he won't be getting that precious match practice playing in Div2 for Kent

[/heavy scarcasm aimed at ECB]

Still some time to go before the Ashes but heres my 2 cents worth.

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
North
Haddin
Johnson
Lee
Siddle
Clark

Yeah that looks like the best side ATM. Add Hilfenhaus, Hauritz, Watson and maybe Bollinger as your reserves and probably add a backup keeper like Manou or Matthew Wade. Other reserves can be drawn from county cricket eg. Chris Rogers.

oh man, broad bowling to hughes, what a treat. A medium pacer against a guy who plays like he has a possum in his underwear.

this has got to be the lamest build up to the ashes ever.

but anyway, sifter, would not do that, they got hammered for not taking a proper batsman with them in south africa. Mcgain should not have replaced north. they surely have to take Jacques, Hodge (is hodge still in the frame) or Hussey.

this time england is much better team than aussies

England just lost the Test series against West Indies, who were ranked at eight at that time. Anyway, I am hoping for a tense Test series again like the previous one in 2005.

oh man, broad bowling to hughes, what a treat. A medium pacer against a guy who plays like he has a possum in his underwear.

this has got to be the lamest build up to the ashes ever.

but anyway, sifter, would not do that, they got hammered for not taking a proper batsman with them in south africa. Mcgain should not have replaced north. they surely have to take Jacques, Hodge (is hodge still in the frame) or Hussey.

Yeah perhaps. Maybe they'll take Rogers in the squad and if he's not needed for the match, just release him to his county side. Jaques is an outside chance since he hasn't scored any runs this summer. Michael Klinger would probably be ahead of him. Dave Hussey would have to score a lot of ODI runs and even then I don't think the selectors see him as a Test batsman. Hodge is almost 35 but he continues to score well. He has been found out the last few appearances he's had for Australia driving at wide balls outside the off stump. We would look to a few others before bringing Hodge back again. Probably the guy with the biggest chance is Andrew Symonds. The selectors have a massive man-crush on him and if he scores even moderately well vs Pakistan I think he might be going to the Ashes. I really hope not. I'd play Watson over Symonds every day of the week, but alas I don't get a vote...

Oh and we'll probably find room for that jack of all trades, master of nothing Mr Andrew McDonald in the squad too. Maybe they should pick Cameron White too then my nightmares would be complete :D

Users who are viewing this thread