Australia in England - 2009 Ashes Tour

What will be the result of The Ashes?

• Total voters
Australia's 16 man touring party will be.
1. Katich
2. Hughes
3. Ponting
4. MHussey
5. Clarke
6. Watson
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Lee
10. Hilfenhaus
11. Clark

the rest
12. Siddle
13. Hauritz
14. Marsh
15. North
16. Manou

Possibles
Bollinger
McDonald
Hodge
Symonds

Pretty close I'd say, but I'm getting the impression McDonald is gonna go and I'd bet Symonds old mate Ricky Ponting gets big Roy into that squad somewhere.

So from your list, Marsh won't go. Surely Rogers and Jaques deserve a spot more than him as a reserve opener. And one (maybe more?) of North, Watson, Symonds or McDonald won't be going. I'm guessing the selectors are picking between North/Watson to miss out. Unfortunately from my perspective, it should be Symonds/McDonald missing out...

As for reserve opener, Chris Rogers is gonna be in England playing county cricket and he may not be named in the squad but could be called up if Hughes/Katich has an issue.

Well the plan is to have Lee fit and firing by the conclusion of the T20 World Cup. He's had some promising returns for Kings XI Punjab so far on his return to the bowling crease, and was Man of the Match in their last game.

I personally really hope he gets picked for the Ashes because it would be MAJORLY harsh if he gets dropped. Lee was the Allan Border medallist a year ago - so Australia's most valuable player. Big whoop that he had a tough series in India...everyone else did too.

Australia's 16 man touring party will be.
1. Katich
2. Hughes
3. Ponting
4. MHussey
5. Clarke
6. Watson
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Lee
10. Hilfenhaus
11. Clark

the rest
12. Siddle
13. Hauritz
14. Marsh
15. North
16. Manou

Possibles
Bollinger
McDonald
Hodge
Symonds

Marsh won't be there, McDonald will be in that spot. Your starting lineup will also never happen as if Watson is playing, a spinner should be in the side. North will most likely be the 6 with Watson/Symonds taking the last spot in the squad.

1. Katich
2. Hughes
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Hussey
6. North
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Siddle
10. Clark
11. Bollinger

That would be my ideal line-up.

They were talking about the Ashes on Sky today saying that Cardiff will apparent be a spinners' wicket. Fair to say that Swann and Panesar are better than Hauritz.
I'd still only play one spinner if I were England though. Assuming no injuries between now and 8 July I'd play:
Cook, Strauss, Bopara, Pietersen, Collingwood, Prior, Flintoff, Broad, Swann, Onions, Anderson.

Danish Keneira got the ball turning square last week, taking 4-16, so I would concur with the Sophia Gardens turning wicket thing.

Spin is definitely the way to go against us but if that takes out the reverse swing then I think the Aussie batters would take that. I don't have much faith with Hauritz but we have no other options after McGain got smashed out of Test cricket.

Our former selector is having a go at the Ashes squad

ALLAN BORDER'S AUSTRALIA ASHES SQUAD:

First Test XI:
Phillip Hughes
Simon Katich
Ricky Ponting
Michael Clarke
Marcus North
Mike Hussey
Brad Haddin
Andrew McDonald
Mitchell Johnson
Peter Siddle
Stuart Clark

Squad members:
Doug Bollinger
Shane Watson
Ben Hilfenhaus
Jon Holland

AB's Ashes bolter revealed - The Ashes 2009 - Fox Sports

Don't mind him picking Holland but we don't need McDonald in the 11 with Clark there.

That's what I'm thinking, as much of a legend as McDonald is, he's not really a frontline, top four bowler. To be honest, he seems to play the role of a spinner, alot like Hauritz, chipping in with wickets here or there and keeping the run rate down (except for when De Villiers took him downtown). Holland really isn't that bad of a suggestion, though.

To be honest, he seems to play the role of a spinner, alot like Hauritz, chipping in with wickets here or there and keeping the run rate down (except for when De Villiers took him downtown).

Yea thats pretty much how I see him. Clark is just as effective at doing that role so it takes away McDonald role. Hauritz being a spinner will be able to extract the turn given the English seem to be preparing spinning wickets. Holland is a lot like Harris for mind so he would be a better option than Hauritz anyway. My bolter would be Bailey who can actually turn the ball and did well in his only game this season. I would have given him some of the tour matches to see how he went and gone from there.

Australia's batting is pretty nailed on, they really need to use the two warm up games to sort ouf their bowling attack. I think it was a grave error not to have Stuart Clark play for Kent, because his fitness is now not fully proven.

Users who are viewing this thread