Australia in England - 2009 Ashes Tour

What will be the result of The Ashes?

• Total voters
Sorry, you're claiming that Mitchell Johnson has more talent than Stuart Broad? FAIL. Broad's one of the best young bowlers in world cricket, he's got everything, pace, bounce, seam movement, and he's still learning. You'll be eating your words when he's running through Ponting and co in 2009 :D

Yeh, I forgot that a good FC record automatically provides a good Test Match record. /Mark Ramprakash.
Broad's talent is very much overrated. He never really looks really threatening when he comes into bowl and the only thing exciting about him is that his gotten a Test cap at a young age in a fairly weak cricket team.

Johnson has acchieved allot more then Broad has and yet Broad's been bowling in more favourable conditions. I don't know what else other to say but that Johnson is a far better bowler then Stuart Broad and Johnson isn't exactly the world's greatest bowler.

Dale Steyn, Mohammad Asif, Umar Gul, Ishant Sharma, Peter Siddle, Morne Morkel, RP Singh, Piyush Chawla, Adjanta Mendis, Tim Southee, Amit Mishra all are young bowlers with ALLOT more potential then Stuart Broad.

Steyn, Sharma, Morkel and Southee are the only one's I'd agree with. You can't compare a pace bowler with spinners. You've clearly not seen much of Broad. He's been very unlucky not to pick up wickets, he always bowls well, hits the spots, is very accurate, he just needs to develop a little more, get abit more seam movement and be given faith by Pietersen and he'll start to flourish. Broad's more of an ODi bowler atm, and he's got a fantastic ODi record. Johnson's a very fluky bowler from what I've seen of him. He's got pace but is very wayward, and most of his wickets come from batsman error not bowler skill. I'm fairly confident that Stuart Broad will end his career with a far better record the Johnson's, Johnson would not get a gig in the England team. I'd take Harmison, Flintoff, Anderson, Broad, Sidebottom and Tremlett over Johnson tbh.

Also, Mohammed Asif hasn't got more potential than Broad. He's thrown away any chance he had of being a world class bowler by turning into a world class tool. He has a great deal of talent, but I've got no respect for a drug abuser, and to be caught more than once just proves his idiocy. I wouldn't have him in my team, not with his attitude.

He's not found his feet in the test arena as yet. One of the best ODI opening bowlers in the world at the moment. So consistent at grabbing wickets first up.

I've seen enough of Broad to make a fair judgement. Sure he has had a few drop catches but his very Johnson like with some of his wickets. Apart from when he took 5/23, I've seen a fair few of his wickets been fluky, such as when the batsman skys one up in the air or just plays a fairly poor shot. I remember this fondly when he first started having success in ODI's and that's why I don't rate him as high as Asif, Steyn, Sharma, Siddle, Morkel and Southee. He doesn't look like a comprehensive bowler or a bowler that has the potential to be one of the best in the world, despite his young age.

Flintoff and Sidebottom are the only better bowlers then Johnson in the England setup, which doesn't say much about England, considering they constantly play in conditions that favour the pacemen.

I bet that if Broad plays in the '09 Ashes series that Johnson will take more wickets then him.

Steve Harmison is MILES better than Mitchell Johnson, as is James Anderson. Anderson has control, proper swing, and is a proper wicket taker, all things that Mitchell Johnson fails to posess.

Steve Harmison is MILES better than Mitchell Johnson, as is James Anderson. Anderson has control, proper swing, and is a proper wicket taker, all things that Mitchell Johnson fails to posess.

Are you kidding me... Harmison averaged 32 in the 2005 ashes series where he was apperently a destroyer... Anderson is known for going for more than 60 in a ODI without closing the bowling, I agree Johnson isnt as good as Ben is making him out to be but he is better than both of those bowlers

ROFL, I've read some Aussie biased rubbish in the past, but this just takes the biscuit. You ask the West Indian's how good an on form Steve Harmison can be. At his best he's the best in the world. He's got extreme pace, bounce, movement, control, the blokes got everything when he's in the groove and got some rhythm. This is why he's back in the England Test and ODi team's, he's found his touch and his form once more. Steve Harmison is so far ahead of Mitchell Johnson it isn't even funny. We're talking about the same Steve Harmison and Mitchell Johnson aren't we?

The west indians.. who didnt have half their team due to problems with their sponsers n such?

He is average... face it, every bowler in the 2005 ashes series for england averaged better in the 1st innings compared to the 2nd except for him and in often cases they didnt open with him due to this fact

He has never proven himself in India or Australia which is considered the toughest tours yet what has mitchell done ...

Steve Harmison was once rated the best in the world. He had an amazing County season with Durham this year. He took 7/12 in the West Indies getting the wickets of the likes of Gayle, Chanderpaul and Sarwan in that innings. Harmison's got a poor record in Australia because his first series was very early in his Test Career, and then his 2nd journey to Australia was when he was massively out of form. He's also only played 2 tests in India, so that's not entirely fair either. If you honestly believe that Mitchell Johnson, a guy who Bob Willis described as "embarassing" this morning is better than a guy who has taken 216 Test Wickets and was once rated the best in the world, then you're more biased than first thought.

I thunk we can all agree that Sidebottom is miles miles better than Johnson

Yes Sidebottom is but Harmison is UNRELIBLE! at least Johnson has consistant speed

Have you even watched Harmison bowl apart from the 2006/7 Ashes in Australia? He's consistently above 90mph, gets more bounce than Johnson, is more accurate, gets more movement, has a better bouncer, he's so far ahead of Johnson that I'm actually in disbelief that you're actually trying to defend him.

Johnson is young and has the ability to stick it out when under attack? Dont forget he took 5 in his first ODI in india and got sachin and ganguly

Harmison will go down in history as "That Wide"

and yes ive watched him against new zealand... terrible against sri lanka... terrible Dont start me KP JOHNSON ISNT A GOOD BOWLER BUT HE IS AT LEAST BETTER THAN MR HOMESICK SOOK

Well done, you saw him bowl in the 3 series where he was suffering from homesickness and completely under-done and out of form. Try watching him when he's firing on all cylinders like he is now. I'm going to enjoy watching Mr Homesick Sook rip through your batting order. If Sharma's giving Ponting some trouble, you wait until he meets a fired up Harmison ready to rip into the Aussies. Mitchell Johnson is rubbish, as I've said before I'm amazed he's got a test gig. So wayward, ALL of his wickets come from Batsman error as opposed to bowler skill. He may be young and have some potential, but Harmison is far better and has achieved far more than Johnson ever will. Johnson will never get to Number 1 on the ICC Test Bowler rankings.

If Harmison can be more consistent, as he showed glimpses of against SA, he will end up a far better bowler than 'one-line' Johnson

Anyway, if Australia's current bowling line-up was collectively better than Harmison, Anderson, Flintoff, Sidebottom and Panesar then you wouldn't have been hammered by India.

Users who are viewing this thread