Australia in England - 2009 Ashes Tour

What will be the result of The Ashes?

• Total voters
You claim that the bowlers in the Aussies domestic system are so superb, if they're that good, why do the Australian Test Team insist on using Mitchell Johnson as one of their 3 best bowlers? If he's the 3rd best Seam bowler in Australia, then you know you've got problems.

Also, where are all these English batsmen with FC average of over 60? Can you name any that are still playing?

Making 1000 runs in county cricket is like making 1500 runs in Australian grade cricket.
Why else do you think we have tons of batsman who average 60 in England and 30 in Australia and have first-class averages of 35-40? :rolleyes:

Calling Shah a better player then Hodge totally contradicts your theory as he holds the record for most runs scored by a Victorian in state cricket whilst playing in the strongest domestic system in the entire world.

Watson, Hodge and Hussey are all better batsman then Shah. End of arguement.

There isn't any wonder why Australians get a lot of jokes made about there intellect.

Shah, is and always will be better than Watson, with the ball, fair enough Watson is a better bowler (thats why he is an all-rounder).

I agree Hodge and Hussey are better batsmen, but saying Australian cricket is superior to that of the English is absolutely stupid. You ever seen a packed out Old Trafford/Headingly when a Roses match comes about? The standard of cricket is as high as Internation when players wear thier hearts on thier sleeves.

Ben, I'd kindly ask you to think before you type, you're whats wrong with the world. Be patriotic, I am, about two countries mind, but being patriotic to the point where you think Australia is better than any other country is just stupid, and I can prove it! If you've been watching your country play International cricket, you'll see why they aren't the worlds best team.

Australia aren't all that good, it is proved when India can score 600+ (yes they're one of the hardest teams to beat on home soil) as top of the rankings, Australia should be able to secure a draw or a win in this test series, but its extremely unlikely!

I don`t think that India being able to score 600 is an ndicator to the team being weak. + the wicket that the match is being played on is a flat one.
We have regularly posted huge scores versus the Aussies in the past decade.We even scored a 600+ at the Oval last year against England.Does that mean England are very easy to beat as well !

I don`t think that India being able to score 600 is an ndicator to the team being weak. + the wicket that the match is being played on is a flat one.
We have regularly posted huge scores versus the Aussies in the past decade.We even scored a 600+ at the Oval last year against England.Does that mean England are very easy to beat as well !

At the time yes, we had major injury worries.

I'm not saying Andrew Flintoff is what makes England win, but we've gotta hell of a higher chance with him, than without him.

You Englishmen are truly clueless.

Shah has done nothing to prove that he is better then Watson and he honestly doesn't look like a better batsman then Watson.

The reason why Watson hasn't played much first-class cricket is because he has constantly toured with Australia since 2002, when he was about 20 years old and because he has been consistantly plagued with injury.

And your mocking of Mitchell Johnson being apart of the Australian system is pathetic.
Even though, he doesn't deserve to be there, England still have 3 times the population that we do and you still can't produce a bowler who averages in the low 20's in Test Cricket and you haven't in a long time.

Go watch his innings' in the IPL, the World Cup of 2007 and whenever his batted in the top 4.
King_Pietersen, you know I was right about about AFL being a great sport and I am definately right about Watson being a better batsman then Shah.

My god this is like the 5th thread the English and Ben have been arguing in. Well at least in this thread both the English and Aussies are playing. Make ur on thread: Ben vs English supporters
Come on Ben man. Shah is good. I like the look of him. Give him a year of proper cricket. The English selectors have treated him like dung (so as the poms would say). Watson is overrated as a test player. Noffke deserves it way more.

Ben how have you even seen Shah play?

I also agree that Watson is really overrated as a Test player. He's only in the damn side because Australia became so hyped up over an 'all-rounder' after Flintoff destroyed us in 2005.

My theory is, to make a national team you have to be a superb batsman or bowler. Not just an 'handy' batsman and a 'mediocre' bowler.

(Jesus christ i sound un-australian here:p)

Personally I think Shah is over-rated. Yes he does get buggered around a lot but he has never really put the selectors in a position where he has to be played and up the order although he was very good in Sri Lanka. he seems a good player in the subcontinent from what I've seen which is useful given how crap we are there and would make Shah>Bopara for India this winter good.

As for this series, momentum is the key. Got it last time and we finally got rid of that mental block we have playing them. Then they put it back by the 5-0 which is kind of annoying. Although tbf we didn't exactly make the series a challenge.

If we play well in India, win convincingly in the Carribean and put in some do well in the twenty20 cup then we can win but if we play badly then our batsmen will all get out playing stupid little half shots to Stuart Clark and we need Harmy and Fred on form which his fairly obvious because if they are then we have a chance against anyone.

Watson has performed at FC level so you can't fault the selectors there as they aren't just picking a handy batter. Hes yet to make the step up but that could be due to where hes batting. My problem with him has been his injuries and then him going straight back into the side on the back of no FC form over guys like Hussey, North and co. But if Watson can perform at International level like he has in FC then having him in the team is handy as his bowling can keep an end tight and get the odd wickets.

You claim that the bowlers in the Aussies domestic system are so superb, if they're that good, why do the Australian Test Team insist on using Mitchell Johnson as one of their 3 best bowlers? If he's the 3rd best Seam bowler in Australia, then you know you've got problems.

Test cricket is a different level, playing on different pitches. The bowlers are all 20-24 roughly bowling in good conditions in Australia.

Cricket legend Sir Ian Botham has tipped England to beat Australia "easily" in next year's Ashes series.

England suffered a 5-0 whitewash in the last series in 2006/07, but Botham believes 2009 will be different.

Botham says Australia's bowling attack is a pale shadow of recent years with Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath having retired from the Test arena.

"We'll win easily. I do believe we'll win quite comfortably over here," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"The Australians might start banging the drum saying they're going to win next summer, but I don't think so for one moment."

What I've seen so far, I don't see as too much of a threat and if England's bowlers stay fit then they'll win the series

"The 2009 Ashes begin on 8 July at Glamorgan's Swalec Stadium as England look to repeat their famous series win in 2005.

Warne, a thorn in the side of England cricketers for more than a decade until retiring in January 2007, has tipped Ricky Ponting's team to claim another 5-0 victory.

BBC
-------------------------------

Beefy ftw :D He's got the same view that I have. I don't believe it'll be easy, but Australia have lost the 2 key components that got them close in 2005. With McGrath and Warne gone, and the inability to replace them, I can't see Australia winning. I know I've said it before, but I don't believe an attack of Lee, Johnson, Clark, Watson and a spinner will be anywhere near good enough. England have a far better bowling attack, then it's just up to the batsmen to click and score big runs. Roll on 2009 :D

Beefys only trying to promote it for sky though. He always tips England anyway, I don't think he realises not everyone is as good as he is.

Oh dear. Why, oh why have you done that, Sir Ian? It really isn't wise to wind the Australians up before they come, in 2005 we didn't get all outspoken, just played hard on the pitch and talking ourselves up 6 months beforehand will not help at all. Yes, with Pietersen at the helm we are looking good, but we need to win well in India, win well in the Caribbean, win well against Sri Lanka (if they are coming now?) before even thinking about the Aussies.

We have played one test with KP in charge and we won, but there were still many areas to look at, and although Australia are losing, we should not be getting cocky at this time. We could well look back and regret this comment.

Users who are viewing this thread