Australia in England - 2009 Ashes Tour

What will be the result of The Ashes?

• Total voters
Forget Harmison. There's every chance he might retire from ODIs again after the India series and go back to his shell. The key bowler for England is Sidebottom. I think he'll trouble Ponting: he's tall, can swing it both ways and gets good bounce at a fair pace. He's under an injury cloud at the moment. If Anderson maintains his past form for the year then England are even more lethal. Freddy is awesome but again will he be injury free till then?

As for England's batting it is centred around Pietersen especially since Collingwood has fallen out of form and Strauss is struggling against quality pace bowling. Bell's a pretty player- makes nice 40s and 50s but doesn't rise up to the challenge. I used to rate Bell highly especially after that 199 but the fact of the matter was he had KP on the other end. If KP had been gone would bell still get that 199? I don't think so and he certainly didn't do much for the remaining tests. Cook is an awesome talent but his conversions are much to be desired. Shah is unproven (how many times have i said that). I wouldn't be jumping for joy just yet. You haven't beaten India or the Windies yet. There's every chance you may lose to both. The Windies gave Australia a great run for its money in the recent test series.

Hopefully, from a pom point of view, over the next year Cook converts his starts, Shah becomes a proven number 3 or Vaughan comes fighting back, Bell stops being such a bottler and Collingwood gets his form back. Oh and Anderson and Harmison can hold themselves for the next year, Freddy and Sidebottom don't get or remain injured, etc. Simon Jones is injured again too...

I think Harmison is in a far better frame of mind than he has been for 3-4 years.

Karnog, I've told you a couple of times now, Shah is NOT in the England Test XI at the moment. The current Test batting line-up is:
Cook
Strauss
Bell
Pietersen
Collingwood
Flintoff
Prior/Ambrose
Broad

Shah should be in the side, but he isn't. Flintoff and Collingwood get in ahead of him at the moment. He's got the talent to be a world beater, but his time hasn't come yet.

Your comments about Sidebottom are wrong as well, although he may swing the ball both ways, he does not get good bounce and doesn't bowl at good pace. His pace averages around 82-83Mph, similar to Hoggard, and he's very skiddy. He bowls a good bouncer, but his stock delivery doesn't have a great deal of bounce. Anderson's far more dangerous, and Sidebottom is majorly injury prone atm, so I can't see him playing much of a part in the Test side. The attack should be Anderson, Broad, Harmison, Flintoff and Panesar. Pietersen can provide extra spin options, as could Shah if he comes into the side, and then you've also got Collingwoods medium pacers. I can't see Sidey getting into the side, he's probably behind Swann in the pecking order for India tbh.

He does need to be 100% fit when he next gets in to the side, I don't think he's truly been fit for a long time. Recurring side strains are a concern for a bowler. I'd also say he is about 3mph quicker than what you've quoted.

Nah he's mid 80mph.
I could've sworn i saw Shah at 3 in ODIs against the Saffas. I'm talking about both ODIs and tests. Yeah i made the mistake first time when u pointed out he wasn't in the test team.

Harmison will perform excellently, but only if he can maintain confidence. And that is always gonna be a problem for him.

Anderson and Freddie will be out two most destructive bowlers I believe, and I'm satisfied with our bowling attack in both departments.

Batting is looking okay too, obviously KP is going to be one of the mainstays, but I'm hoping bell can put in a good performance, maybe a repeat of the SA series.

I think the biggest addition is KP's captaincy. You can see that he plays to win (Rather like the Aussies) and so the team follow suite. I'm really looking forward to the series, should be a belter!.

All England need is a SOLID addition to the batting to KP and I think they'll be very set to topple the Australian's here. Bell is probably the second best batsman in the team, but I would personally like to see someone who can convert starts a bit better - Perhaps Shah could step up.

Its too early to start this thread. Its going to be a great series.

I'm hoping to get tickets to one of the Twenty20's.

That's a good one Lee. Is that the 2nd Test again? Every Test will be a big one though and all 5 days are worth going too. I've never been to the first day of a Test. Enjoy.

Nah, it's the 3rd Test this time. Starts at Cardiff, then Lord's, then to Edgbaston, then Headingley, and finally The Oval. 3rd's probably a good Test to go to, certain not to be a dead rubber, and could be a really vital Test in the series. Is jealous.

I'm going. Haven't got tickets but my parents will pay extortionate prices. Or I have a spoilt little paddy. Simple choice for them.

We will lose anyway, going into the last ashes I knew we were better but here I'd give Australia a slight edge overall, English conditions though so pretty 50/50 but we have royally tweaked ourselves with all this recent crap. I can see us losing in the caribbean, they have given better sides than us trouble, and if we do lose, that's it, because we, like any sports team, are completely a confidence side.

My only hope is they pick Trott in the future. I'm just going to send the ECB as many emails about him as possible until they pick him. If they decide not to opt for me as the new coach as well I'll find the new guys adress and make him wake up next to a horses head that just says Trott on it.

That's a good one Lee. Is that the 2nd Test again? Every Test will be a big one though and all 5 days are worth going too. I've never been to the first day of a Test. Enjoy.
KP is right, it's the 3rd Test at the end of July. It'll be the main event of the summer since I don't have a wealthy family. Tickets cost, compared to previous years when I went to Trent Bridge to see India and New Zealand, a bomb!

Users who are viewing this thread