Australia in England

What will be outcome of the AshesTest series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The iconic moment of the Series. Vaughan holds the trophy aloft and check out the product placement for Budweiser!!!

53576.jpg

A word of caution for my fellow England fans. Note that we didn't beat Australia when Glen McGrath was playing.

OR you could say, Australia only won one match that McGrath played in.

OR you could say, Australia can't win a game without McGrath.

Remember this is a TEAM GAME, Australia had 2 of the best Test bowlers ever, but England had a better TEAM.

Eddie said:
OR you could say, Australia only won one match that McGrath played in.

OR you could say, Australia can't win a game without McGrath.

Remember this is a TEAM GAME, Australia had 2 of the best Test bowlers ever, but England had a better TEAM.
OK, but we get to take Flintoff out of your team- or does it only work when you're at full strength and we have the injury? It's blatantly obvious that our support bowlers were/are horrible all series, but how well could any team replace McGrath? Your first replacement bowler is Jimmy Anderson.....

Anyway, great series, results that could have gone either way but we were outplayed and England fully deserved to win.

:(

squiz said:
That doesn't explain the county losses and the loss to Bangladesh does it? We were just terribly out of form, with the exception of Langer, Warne and McGrath

Maybe not but the county and Bangladesh losses were at the start of the summer when Oz traditionally take time to get into their rythym - I think you could add Brett Lee to the list of players who came out with their reputation unharmed. Matty Hayden (barring the Essex and his 1st innings knock) has looked completely out of sorts and Adam Gilchrist has been a major disapointment (with a the odd little flourish). Simon Katich has got to be sweating on his place now and I can't see McGrath going for much longer.

m@c said:
Maybe not but the county and Bangladesh losses were at the start of the summer when Oz traditionally take time to get into their rythym - I think you could add Brett Lee to the list of players who came out with their reputation unharmed. Matty Hayden (barring the Essex and his 1st innings knock) has looked completely out of sorts and Adam Gilchrist has been a major disapointment (with a the odd little flourish). Simon Katich has got to be sweating on his place now and I can't see McGrath going for much longer.
Yup, Brett Lee's reputation as an ODI only bowler is not harmed at all

I just don't see where you are going to get a replacement for Glenn McGrath. Lee has scored with the bat and swung the ball a bit, but he has been expensive and hasn't really took the wickets. Kasprowicz hasn't really shown anything, Shaun Tait is erratic and expensive (although young) and Dizzy has been abysmal all summer. Thats going to be Australia's problem now, as I see their batters coming back into form.

m@c said:
I just don't see where you are going to get a replacement for Glenn McGrath. Lee has scored with the bat and swung the ball a bit, but he has been expensive and hasn't really took the wickets. Kasprowicz hasn't really shown anything, Shaun Tait is erratic and expensive (although young) and Dizzy has been abysmal all summer. Thats going to be Australia's problem now, as I see their batters coming back into form.
Shaun Tait is just a younger version of Brett Lee, and playing them both in the same team is pretty much asking for trouble- not that Punter bowls him anyway. Kasper and Dizzy would be lucky to get back at this point, we've seen plenty of people dominate state cricket after the selectors have decided they're past it and never get back into the team. Essentially, we're pretty screwed after McGrath and Warne retire, just hope they hang around to win back the Ashes next year as we don't exactly have a wealth of options domestically

Shaun Tait is just a younger version of Brett Lee, and playing them both in the same team is pretty much asking for trouble- not that Punter bowls him anyway.

I think , Ponting's reluctance to bowl his "4th bowler" has been a major factor in the series. Here's how many overs each bowler has bowled in the series.

S Warne 252.5 (bowled in 10 inns avg 25 per inns)
G McGrath 134.0 (bowled in 6 inns avg 22 per inns)
B Lee 191.1 (bowled in 10 inns avg 19 per inns)
S Tait 48.0 ( bowled in 4 inns avg 12 per inns)
M Kasp'wicz 52.0 ( bowled in 4 inns avg 13 per inns)
J Gillespie 67.0 (bowled in 6 inns avg 11 per inns)

as u can see Mcgrath + lee + Warne had double the workload.

Why bother picking someone who's only contribution is 10-12 overs per inns.

To be fair, the 4th bowler has either been young, inexperienced and erratic (Tait) or completely out of touch and ineffective (Dizzy and Kasper), you can't expect them to bowl the same amount as legends like Warne and McGrath

I agree with Colin. No way Tait and Lee should be playing together right now. You either have one or the other. We say last night the problems with this.

Ponting had the great McGrath and Warne bowling for quite a bit but they can't bowl forever. Lee was brought on bowled one good over then after lunch was gornski. Ponting then had to bring on a tired McGrath to do the work. Tait then came in bowled a ripper and conceded runs. That sums up to 2 bowlers conceding too many runs and releasing the pressure.

Lol just seen the England team going round London on the open decker bus. Freddie looks like me after a night on the sauce and a nosefull of cocaine. Classic!

brad352 said:
Yup, Brett Lee's reputation as an ODI only bowler is not harmed at all

He played the game with so much spirit a lot of respect to him. :clap

The McGrath injury was a big blow but in previous series it's England that have had the injuries and not Australia.

Works both ways.

Giles showed his true grit, and KP was extraordinary, bit of a farcical finish but never mind.

langerrox said:
well done england even tho it seems it has been our out of form team vs your inform team because on paper it dont seem right

You say that but.

Bell and Jones haven't really done much with the bat. Giles hasn't done alot with the ball, Harmison has been good on occasions but well below his best.

Here's one to ponder. Out of form or simply past their best?
Aus play the Windies next which is a great opportunity to put new players in rather than allow old players to 'find their form again'. I'm sure Gilly, Haydos, Martyn etc can smack the WI attack around but this will only mask their decline and inbility to compete with the top bowlers in the world. Make radical changes, make them now, be ruthless. In a word be Aussie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread