Australia in England

What will be outcome of the AshesTest series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Katich out Hodge in.

Katich has done well but Hodge has been superb on the improving english county scene.

The_gas said:
Lol just seen the England team going round London on the open decker bus. Freddie looks like me after a night on the sauce and a nosefull of cocaine. Classic!

hahaha yeah he looked a little the worse for wear! don't think there was much sleep had at the hotel last night :cheers

barmyarmy said:
Here's one to ponder. Out of form or simply past their best?
Aus play the Windies next which is a great opportunity to put new players in rather than allow old players to 'find their form again'. I'm sure Gilly, Haydos, Martyn etc can smack the WI attack around but this will only mask their decline and inbility to compete with the top bowlers in the world. Make radical changes, make them now, be ruthless. In a word be Aussie.
Their next assignment is against the ICC World XI. I doubt they'd make drastic changes for those matches, which probably means we're less likely to see drastic changes for the West Indies series.

The Australian selectors are a bunch of morons. I bet you there will not be one change (maybe a bowler, Tait, Gillespie etc).

Going back to the 5th Ashes Test. They new the the wicket would turn so why wouldnt they put in another leg-spinner (MacGill)??

I just think its stupid, Warne pretty much single handedly gave us 'some' hope so why would they pick Tait or Gillespie over another leggie???

BTW, How could was that massive spinner by Warne?? It was on the last day, Hwakeye had touble calculating it..lol

barmyarmy said:
Aus play the Windies next which is a great opportunity to put new players in rather than allow old players to 'find their form again'. I'm sure Gilly, Haydos, Martyn etc can smack the WI attack around but this will only mask their decline and inbility to compete with the top bowlers in the world. Make radical changes, make them now, be ruthless. In a word be Aussie.
Just have a squiz at this:
http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/STATS/BY_CALENDAR/2000S/2004/TEST_BAT_MOST_RUNS_2004.html

The_gas said:
Lol just seen the England team going round London on the open decker bus. Freddie looks like me after a night on the sauce and a nosefull of cocaine. Classic!

:D, yep great scenes in London today. Freddie's interview was just what you said Matt, a classic; he was all over the place at first then recovered a bit. On Hawksbee and Jacobs (Talk Sport), they said he 'played himself into the interview' before he got going properly :cheers :D

barmyarmy said:
Time to call in some boasts:

Whole thread is quite amusing (titled: Sorry England but you have no chance in hell)

here + also worth reading again

here

here

here

here

here

Ok, I'm a bit bored of this now but there are plenty more examples...

All that now remains is for someone to design Squiz a new sig... As per our agreement it's to be a pic of England holding the Ashes and a speech bubble saying 'Aussie's suck'. Remember keep it to 300*100 but all entries welcome. See here!

Hilarious, what a top read :clap . I was going to start a 'quote an Aussie' thread but couldn't be bothered; it would have taken me far too long to look back and record all the quotes. Great post Colin, the only thing missing is some of the crap tsyrmas was coming out with earlier in the series :D

Last edited:
.::Stevo::. said:
The Australian selectors are a bunch of morons. I bet you there will not be one change (maybe a bowler, Tait, Gillespie etc).

Going back to the 5th Ashes Test. They new the the wicket would turn so why wouldnt they put in another leg-spinner (MacGill)??

I just think its stupid, Warne pretty much single handedly gave us 'some' hope so why would they pick Tait or Gillespie over another leggie???

BTW, How could was that massive spinner by Warne?? It was on the last day, Hwakeye had touble calculating it..lol

it's funny how Warne was incredible in the last 4 tests didn't do as much at Lords still a bit. he took 40 wickets at about 18 but we still outplayed you in 4 tests. Only just at the Oval mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmyarmy

Just have a squiz at this:
http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/STATS/BY..._RUNS_2004.html

yeah they've scored more runs than anyone else..but they've also had 7-8 more inning than anyone else.

And the point (I think) Colin was making, was , anyone can smash runs against average bowlers, but , you will get found out if you have to play against good bowlers. As we have seen from this series..england have the best fast bowling attack in the world.

The icc test and odi rankings is wrong. I think England should have by now should have clinched the top spot. In the Odi rankings Sri lanka should be number 1.

Indiangod said:
The icc test and odi rankings is wrong. I think England should have by now should have clinched the top spot. In the Odi rankings Sri lanka should be number 1.
No way. Australia are still the best in both forms of the game, as they have performed consistently over several years.

I love this from Martin Johnson in the Daily Telegraph:

Pietersen might have gone for nought when he was dropped off Shane Warne, but it was really down to the slip catch missed by Warne himself - so simple even Pietersen (nought for six in the series) might have caught it.

the update player test rankings are out..

Freddie up to 7 in the bowling
Strauss up to 9 in the batting

Can someone please explain to me how:

1. Jaques Kallis is ranked as the Top allrounder in the world :eek: :eek: :eek:

2. Jason Gillespie is ranked ABOVE Simon Jones in the bowling :eek: :eek: :eek:

Indiangod said:
You're funny. Australia loose a series and so they must drop a place?

Nah, seriously though, I think I know what you mean, SL have been on form in their last few encounters, while Australia have been shaky in England. Somehow though, I find it hard to rate whitewashing the "giant killers."

Anyway,

Aus 2004-2005 Won 35 Lost 9 Tied 1 Sri Lanka 2004-2005 Won 27 Lost 9

Still clear. 78% vs 75% win rate, for clarification.

England 2003-2005 Test record

2 Test series vs ZIM (home) whitewash
5 Test series vs SAF (home) drawn 2 all
2 Test series vs BAN (away) whitewash
3 Test series vs SL (away) lost 1-0
4 Test series vs WI (away) won 3-0
3 Test series vs NZ (home) whitewash
4 Test series vs WI (home) whitewash
5 Test series vs SAF (away) won 2-1
2 Test series vs BAN (home) whitewash
5 Test series vs AUS (home) won 2-1

Australia 2003-2005 Test record

5 Test series vs WI (away) won 4-1
2 Test series vs BAN (home) whitewash
2 Test series vs ZIM (home) whitewash
4 Test series vs IND (home) drawn 1 all
3 Test series vs SL (away) whitewash
2 Test series vs SL (home) won 1-0
4 Test series vs IND (away) won 2-1
2 Test series vs NZ (home) whitewash
3 Test series vs PAK (home) whitewash
3 Test series vs NZ (away) won 2-0
5 Test series vs ENG (away) lost 2-1

It's fair to say if AUS loose to WI and ENG win against IND, then England should get top spot. The upcoming pair of series against South Africa will be by far a greater test than England for Australia. It's one thing to make mistakes, (maybe McGrath should watch where he's stepping) but it's inexcusable not to learn from them.

angryangy said:
It's one thing to make mistakes, (maybe McGrath should watch where he's stepping) but it's inexcusable not to learn from them.
Add to that Ponting inserting England at Edgbaston just after McGrath's accident, on a good track, then watching England rack up 400+ on that day. Was it arrogance, thinking Oz could still bowl England out cheaply even without their top seamer, or just a bad decision? He must still have nightmares about that decision.

Eddie said:
Can someone please explain to me how:

1. Jaques Kallis is ranked as the Top allrounder in the world :eek: :eek: :eek:
Freddie is numero uno in ODIs. Kallis is still enjoying the boost he got in ratings in the series against England at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread