• Aus test, SA odi series

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • SA test, Aus odi series

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • SA test, SA odi series

Votes: 18 20.7%

• Total voters
barmyarmy said:
Very interesting article by an England fan in his blog at Cricketweb.
Well worth reading.
poor article..
I don't think matches like these are harmful for cricket..Truth is bowlers will also have to raise the standards of their bowling. I mean look at G. Mcgrath.How many times you have seen him going over 45-50 runs in ODIs in spite of flat tracks that we are seeing these days.
Also recent ashes series is a prime e.g. of how well was the battle between bat and bowl.. Was that a batsman dominated series??

barmyarmy said:
Where does it say that? I read it as saying the opposite.
Either you didn't read my sarcasm or I didn't read his.

cricket_doctor said:
poor article..
I don't think matches like these are harmful for cricket..Truth is bowlers will also have to raise the standards of their bowling. I mean look at G. Mcgrath.How many times you have seen him going over 45-50 runs in ODIs in spite of flat tracks that we are seeing these days.
Also recent ashes series is a prime e.g. of how well was the battle between bat and bowl.. Was that a batsman dominated series??
Well, here's his point. The standards of bowling are dropping because the game is orienting itself towards batsmen. Would you rather go into a career where you are going to be used by everyone, or where you are going to be controlling people, to provide an analogy. Unless you are a very socially stable and generous person, I think you'd choose the latter.

Runs have been flowing like crazy in the last few years. Take the current tour of Pakistan. Over 800 runs were scored without the loss of 10 wickets! With the ODI tour, a 300+ score was not a certainty for victory. If I remember correctly, the benchmark for a good ODI score a few years back was 260+. 280+ was a really good score, and 300+ was almost impossible to chase. Flash back to now, 300+ and sides still think they have a good chance to win it.

Do you think the way the wickets are being curated might have something to do with that?

sohummisra said:
With the ODI tour, a 300+ score was not a certainty for victory. If I remember correctly, the benchmark for a good ODI score a few years back was 260+. 280+ was a really good score, and 300+ was almost impossible to chase. Flash back to now, 300+ and sides still think they have a good chance to win it.

so, whats wrong in that???

cricket doctor said:
so, whats wrong in that???

Whats wrong in that is that the standard of bowling is dropping furthur and furthur. The number of quality bowlers in the worl is nothing is like it used to be. And the way things are going its only gonna get worse. We have to produce a bit more responsive pitches where the bowlers are given a chance. Bowlers have to be encouraged. As sohum states now, at the present state of cricket no youngster( or a very small number) aspire to be bowlers. That is not good for the game. The balance is getting disturbed. The balance has to be maintained. For that better pitches have to be produced.

Am I dreaming? A side chasing 434 and pulling it off successfully...

Just imagine what the bowlers in this game must have gone through!

Fabulous! But this cant be the greatest ever ODI! Its just a maniac flow of runs!

saisrini80 said:
Am I dreaming? A side chasing 434 and pulling it off successfully...

Just imagine what the bowlers in this game must have gone through!

Fabulous! But this cant be the greatest ever ODI! Its just a maniac flow of runs!

A great game of cricket is where there is an even battle of not only the teams but also of bat and ball. Batting is not the only side of the game. Bowling is too. Arent we forgetting that???

varunvgiri said:
Whats wrong in that is that the standard of bowling is dropping furthur and furthur. The number of quality bowlers in the worl is nothing is like it used to be. And the way things are going its only gonna get worse. We have to produce a bit more responsive pitches where the bowlers are given a chance. Bowlers have to be encouraged. As sohum states now, at the present state of cricket no youngster( or a very small number) aspire to be bowlers. That is not good for the game. The balance is getting disturbed. The balance has to be maintained. For that better pitches have to be produced.
The concept of ODIs was designed keeping in view to make it as batsman friendly as possible.
You always have test matches to show your ability as a bowler. yup, pitches in test matches can be more sporty but ODIs are heading in right direction.

Thats ****ing ridiculas. Australia pay for taking shiity bowlers.

Why didn't "the worlds best bowler" bowl 10 overs?

This game is unreal. I really don't want to believe it happened. Poor bowlers.

What was the pitch like? I mean the bowling must of been the worst ever.

Im annoyed SA won the series. Injury to Ponting and Symodns early is what cost them.

I hear Bracken dropped Gibbs. Argh!!

Maybe it's just because I'm a bowler that I don't like ODI cricket then. Anyhow perhaps we had better start another thread for this as whether cricket is becoming too batsman friendly isn't really on topic.

varunvgiri said:
A great game of cricket is where there is an even battle of not only the teams but also of bat and ball. Batting is not the only side of the game. Bowling is too. Arent we forgetting that???

How many times you have seen 434 being made in ODIs and chased?????

And I agree, if anything this is the worst ODI ever. Just a bunch of slogging on a terrible pitch. Its just not cricket. When the bowling is that bad its pretty boring.

The powerplays have got to go now.

How do you Australian and South Africans feel about having the top two ODI totals made off your attacks. lol, enjoy that. With the record of scoring the most runs also came the worse statistic of conceeding the most.

The Australian bowling attack at the moment is absolute ****. The South African one is better but bowled poorly and got smashed by good batting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread