Australia tour of England June-August 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Bailey might have jumped ahead of Forrest in the Test queue, his ODI showings and now here. Still obviously got the rest of the tour before that is confirmed. Nice to see Burns making runs, we need another youngster to hype up :p

angryangy

ICC Chairman
johnson has bowled 1/8 with the new ball on a road and the lefties aren't scoring off him at all... is that 2012 thing people were afraid of?

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Very close match in the end, Derbyshire needed 35 to win, Aus A only 1 wicket. So good declarations by the captains letting everyone get a go. Johnson got 3, Lyon got 4.

I'm glad for Mitch, I've turned into a Johnson fanboy ever since the general populace starting hating his guts :p Doesn't deserve all the hate - hmm, maybe a little bit...but I hope he comes back again, he's an interesting guy to watch play. My love of hated players worked for Shane Watson - if you mentioned his name 5 years ago people would try and rip your head off and much hatred would gush from their mouths :D

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Getting taken for a ton from a night watchman is pretty funny when all we hear about is Austalia's strength in depth in their pace bowling department.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Getting taken for a ton from a night watchman is pretty funny when all we hear about is Austalia's strength in depth in their pace bowling department.

Cricket is game of glorious uncertainties as the saying goes. England's much vaunted pace attack taking only 2 Proteas wickets in some quarters could be seen as funny also, given the hype (deserved hype of course) they have received in recent times.

That one bowling performance from England doesn't diminish England's quicks CV, nor does Palladino scoring a hundred diminish the fact that the pace talent/depth in AUS is good.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Speaking as an England fan, I expect the unexpected. Plenty of players seem to score runs again us, but not other teams. Aussies seem to genuinely believe that they have something special though, when clearly they have a load of average pace bowlers with a couple of decent prospects.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Speaking as an England fan, I expect the unexpected. Plenty of players seem to score runs again us, but not other teams. Aussies seem to genuinely believe that they have something special though, when clearly they have a load of average pace bowlers with a couple of decent prospects.

Am i'm not sure if that's an accurate reflection of how AUS fans/pundits view their pace stocks currently.

The only quick in the AUS ranks that has been hyped as something special is young Pat Cummins and Ryan Harris.

While the reviving performances in test cricket in the last few months of Hilfenhaus, Siddle along with the emergence of Pattinson, Starc and Ben Cutting. Means that AUS fans are more comfortable with their pace stocks, that now is in a more healthy state after the 2010/11 Ashes debacle.

By no means is a "load of average" pace bowlers present for AUS. The only bowler who genuinely deserves that accolade is Mitchell Johnson.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Next tour match is underway and after rolling Durham for 197, Aus A are 6/111 in reply :eek: 5 changes to the Aus A team for this one, and most have worked: McDermott got 4 wickets, Holland got 3, Coulter-Nile 2 and Liam Davis got to 40 - highest score thus far.

I wonder if McDermott is more or less likely to get picked for Australia now that his old man isn't the bowling coach??

angryangy

ICC Chairman
So the question is, did they go with two spinners because of their newfound love of spin or is England the new subcontinent?

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
The report I read reckoned it was a slow turner and a lot of wickets fell to spin in the last county game there. Seems like Tredwell and Kerrigan bowled about 2/3rds of the overs in the Aus A innings.

My old mate Mitch Johnson got 4/47 in the first innings :clap 26.1 overs too - not the usual spray fest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread