Australia tour of New Zealand 2010

Clarke almost found the gap but it was a great diving stop by (somebody).

Pup is sticking it up to those who say he is a ████ T20 batsmen, almost took Australia to a great win.

Yeah I thought that was going to go through to the boundary. Excellent, level-headed fielding by that guy.

I was really impressed by the bowling of Southee. Not just for the Super Over, but for that superb 18th over where he only conceded 6 singles against two well-set, hard hitting batsmen at the time.

I'm also impressed by this White chap. Impressive, clean hitting. He could become a superstar.

I never understood why Australia bat White so low. He is probably the only guy in that XI with a record of scoring T20 Centuries, so they stick him in the middle order? It's crazy. At least give the guy a chance to win matches, even if he did almost pull off the impossible.

I never understood why Australia bat White so low. He is probably the only guy in that XI with a record of scoring T20 Centuries, so they stick him in the middle order? It's crazy. At least give the guy a chance to win matches, even if he did almost pull off the impossible.

On another note, White has played 4 Test matches :eek: wttffff where have I been :facepalm

Did you honestly not know he'd played Test cricket? Or were you being sarcastic? If not, he played in India as the primary spinner for most of the series, batted 8 IIRC, one of the more bizarre Australian selections of recent years.

Oh right fair enough. Yeah, he played in India as a primary spinner for the most part. Was a pretty strange selection considering he never really bowled that much for his State side and didn't have a particularly good bowling record. Jason Krejza came into the side later in the series and made an instant impact taking a whole heap of wickets (the highest wicket taking haul on debut IIRC), but was expensive. Was quite an entertaining series.

Edit: Awesome, just found the highlights of the game. Looking forward to watching this.

Last edited:
Wow. What a stunning innings that was from Brendon McCullum. I still don't think he's surpassed the innings I saw him play in the NZ State Cup Final for Otago, think he made 170 that day, but given the attack I'd say this innings comes very, very close. He bats exactly the way I want to bat. Walks down the pitch to the seamers, smashed the ball through the covers and tries to innovate and play strange shots. Those scoop shots off Tait were just magnificent. My personal favourite was one that went for four, which actually pitched before he hit it, and he just glanced it off the face of the bat straight behind him for 4. Brilliant batting. What a player Brendon McCullum is!

irrotev mentioned the over-confidence of the fans, but taking a look at the team, there could be a few symptoms of victory disease. They weren't running Watson, Johnson, Hauritz or Mike Hussey; although it does mean a full week between matches for those players, they may have been backing off the pedal a little too much. The chase was an impressive comeback, but the inability to control the target was no shock. The result really doesn't indicate that they were running 5 players with 30 international games between them.

They also played the eliminator with too little concern for risk. Warner came in to play big shots, but didn't have any time to get his eye in. Tait did effectively the same thing. You get the feeling White would have been sent back out regardless of whether he'd had 26 sighters or not. Southee getting the ball made sense as he was the warmed up death bowler and that was NZ's advantage. Australia had the advantage of having an 80 run partnership going at the end, but they effectively chose to half it.

I guess it is just one T20 and if that's your worst result in 3 months, then there isn't much to worry about. However, my concern would be any increase in a tendency toward hubris. We've seen players being rested with the series still up for grabs and it would be most disappointing to see a loss as a result of that.

just watched the highlights. jez, some major balls to try those scoops at 150+ks. he was IN the zone. on other days he could have been bowled or cause some serious injuries! good fight back from the Oz, should have won it. if you gonna get this close, might as well get there all the way

btw noticed 1 thing. Clarke wasnt running it hard, he thought it was gonna go for 4 for sure. should have ran hard, coulda had 3 runs

Hey irrotv what exactly happened with the fan who tried to fight security? On TV they never showed it and the commentators just barely mentioned it. Did he actually make it onto the field?

Any idea when Australia is looking to bring Tait into the One Day set up? I really want to see him go.

Hey irrotv what exactly happened with the fan who tried to fight security? On TV they never showed it and the commentators just barely mentioned it. Did he actually make it onto the field?

I rushed off to the toiled when it happened. But yeah, a streaker got onto the field.

Users who are viewing this thread