Australia tour of New Zealand 2010

Brad Haddin- conduct unbecoming

On the last ball of the T20 game last night (28/2/10), Brad Haddin deliberately and demonstrably slowed down to interfere with a throw to the keeper from the field that would have run out his partner by half the pitch. He clearly deviated from his course in order to do so, and should have been given out at the time pursuant to Rule 37.1.

This is conduct unbecoming of an international player, and he seemingly got away without even being chastised by his management. He should be cited, and given a lengthy ban from the game. If Australia had won as a result, it would have been a scandal.

New Zealand Cricket must act swiftly to lodge a complaint with the match referee.

Blatant cheating of this nature is a serious misconduct issue and Mr Haddin must face up. This isn't his first time, either. His record on such matters is a disgrace to international cricket. Remember the stumping that wasn't?

Uncle Sifty

irrotev mentioned the over-confidence of the fans, but taking a look at the team, there could be a few symptoms of victory disease. They weren't running Watson, Johnson, Hauritz or Mike Hussey; although it does mean a full week between matches for those players, they may have been backing off the pedal a little too much. The chase was an impressive comeback, but the inability to control the target was no shock. The result really doesn't indicate that they were running 5 players with 30 international games between them.

Its questionable if Hauritz and Hussey are actually in the best 11, they haven't played a T20 in ages and I would hate to see them suddenly appear in our side as that goes totally against the plan of picking T20 players based on form in T20.

Anyone???

Unless one of us are the selectors no one on this forum would have a clue. Atm he might be the next in line for the squad should injury strike or maybe Bracken is in line. But hes no where near the starting 11 with Bollinger, McKay, Harris and Johnson our main ones with Lee to add to that and then Hilfenhaus and Siddle who I don't agree with but the selectors will.

That's unfortunate. He should be in Australia's world cup plans. He can win you matches single handedly.

Until Bollinger, Harris, McKay and Johnson start failing us, I don't see a need to change that combo especially when 3 off them are averaging under 20 in ODIs.

On the last ball of the T20 game last night (28/2/10), Brad Haddin deliberately and demonstrably slowed down to interfere with a throw to the keeper from the field that would have run out his partner by half the pitch. He clearly deviated from his course in order to do so, and should have been given out at the time pursuant to Rule 37.1.

This is conduct unbecoming of an international player, and he seemingly got away without even being chastised by his management. He should be cited, and given a lengthy ban from the game. If Australia had won as a result, it would have been a scandal.

New Zealand Cricket must act swiftly to lodge a complaint with the match referee.

Blatant cheating of this nature is a serious misconduct issue and Mr Haddin must face up. This isn't his first time, either. His record on such matters is a disgrace to international cricket. Remember the stumping that wasn't?

Uncle Sifty

WTF are you talking about? Haddin wasn't even looking at the ball, he was looking at the other way. The ball hit him :facepalm

Why do new members always start with a trolling post?

I will admit, when it happened live I thought I saw Haddin do exactly that. Glad I'm not going crazy :p

I didn't notice this Haddin incident when I saw it live, but I just saw highlights and wow. He blatantly slows down his run and runs sideways in order to block the ball (he's looking at the ball coming in). Typical Brad Haddin. I hope it gets upped to youtube soon.

WTF are you talking about? Haddin wasn't even looking at the ball, he was looking at the other way. The ball hit him :facepalm

Haddin was looking at it and he ran intentionally into where the ball was going.

Typical Bad Haddin sportsmanship. I hope he doesn't go unpunished.

That's unfortunate. He should be in Australia's world cup plans. He can win you matches single handedly.

It's all about fitness for Taity I think. He was in the first Aussie XI last summer v SA & NZ. He's just got to prove he can bowl more than 1-2 over spells without gassing himself, otherwise he's a bowler who's difficult to manage - or more correctly it's more difficult to split up everyone's else's spells around Tait's needs. I think once fit he leaps ahead of Harris and McKay at least.

It also depends on the conditions. It may be that the pitches in India for the World Cup need a guy like Tait who can create something from nothing. Maybe he'll go crap there, I dunno. But he's probably fighting with Brett Lee for the out-and-out speed spot. Maybe they need both.

And also I'd like to note my annoyance that Nathan Hauritz didn't get a crack in either game. He's gotta be a better bowler than Smith at this point and while Smith has the capability with the bat and in the field, it's not like Hauritz is bad in those areas either - he's quite respectable, if not good. For a team that doesn't blink at promoting a number 9 up to number 4 (Mitch J) do we really need Smith's extra batting? It was good experience for Smith though to give him some games outside Australia, I'll admit.

BTW Uncle Sifty - no relation :D

Last edited:
Remember Tait did take 12 months out of the game for exhaustion, so I think we'd be happy just to have him for 20/20.

Tait might be out anther 12 months after last night. The crowd really did get stuck into him. He copped it big time.

Users who are viewing this thread