Australia tour of New Zealand 2010

He didn't start it which was my point, he doesn't usually look for confrontation. What do you expect him to do when someone tries to poke his eye out?

Except nobody tried to poke his eye out, his back was turned towards Benn.

All we really saw was the confrontation, not why there was a confrontation, but I'm sure Styris was dishing out his fair share; he loves it. He looked pretty worked up at the end regardless of who was bowling. Without knowing what was said and considering both got away with just fines, there's not much else to do other than move on from it. At least, if they're over it already, it seems stupid for us to not be.

This is how I saw it too. Mitch took it the furthest, but Scotty certainly wasn't the innocent school girl. Hence the fines for both, but with Mitch's much greater. Good call, Mr Madugalle.

I'm glad Johnson got fined. Considering he was the one who went up to Styris I think it's kind of harsh Styris got fined too. Then again i'm not entirely sure what happened.

Haha. At least you admitted it. :laugh

Johnson gave an interview in Men's Health about how you should never think that you've 'made it'. He needs to follow his own advice, because he's not bigger than the game, and he should show the opposition a fraction more respect than he does currently.

On the other hand...I read that for the 3rd Ashes Test last year Mitch was deliberately trying to be more aggressive. Trying to forget swing - just bowl fast and following through and glaring at the batsman to be intimidating. He felt he was a bit soft in the first 2 Tests and was a bit passive in his body language. So it's something he tries to manufacture I suppose as a way to get him bowling aggressively. Something to keep in mind when watching him.

sifter132 added 1 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

And Benn reached ACROSS Mitch to put his finger in Haddin's face and hence went very close to Mitch's face. I'd have been telling him to piss off too. Perhaps Mitch didn't have to shove him away, but Benn was the guy who wanted a fight there - not Mitch.

Can somebody tell me why we are talking about the Johnson/Styris incident? There was hardly anything wrong with it IMO, it just added more spice to the game.

Go watch the video again, while he may not have intended it, his finger definitely went towards Johnson face. That's when Johnson became involved in that incident, which is vastly different to the Styris incident that he started.

Can somebody tell me why we are talking about the Johnson/Styris incident? There was hardly anything wrong with it IMO, it just added more spice to the game.

I had the game on with no sound and wasn't really focused on it but I believe Johnson headbutted Styris according to reports.

Attachments

• jb.jpg
    jb.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 20
his finger definitely went towards Johnson face.

he is pointing at Haddin, not Mitch. Mitch is the other one. Mitch got the other kinda helmet, the 1s that i dont like (the 1s that Ponting wears, not the 1s that McC, Haddin, Watson, Clarke etc. wears)

MacLovin added 0 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

oh and Mitch is not blonde, he got black hair.

Thank you!

It was just words and the crowd loved it. Lets not make cricket into a sissy sport.

it was almost footbally. except Mitch doesnt have a helmet. he took it on the forehead :laugh

he will be fried up on the next game.

And cricket isnt a sissy game, but it suppose to be "gentlemen" sports, discipline and all that crap. Thats why ICC acts towards the players and these kinda events like middle school vice-principals

he is pointing at Haddin, not Mitch. Mitch is the other one. Mitch got the other kinda helmet, the 1s that i dont like (the 1s that Ponting wears, not the 1s that McC, Haddin, Watson, Clarke etc. wears)

He made contact that is all I was getting through, and Johnson's reaction was what you would expect from someone that just got randomly contacted, if someone did that to me on the street I'll be pushing them back as well just like I would expect them to do to me if I did that.

But I thought you said Benn was poking his eyes out, pointing at his face?

any ways. SS confirmed his place in the XI. NZ won without Vettori, which is a huge thing. So when he returns who gets dropped? Broom i am guessing. Seriously why is he in the team?? IDK much about him, but seem to me he sucks! Look at his stats. Hopkins guy should come in place of Oram (if he is injured)

Is he American now? :p

opps. well he did have a shot at playing MLB so does that count? :p

I would say Vettori a straight swap for Oram. Hopkins has been very average behind the stumps so unless he can field hes too much of a liability.

oh ████, SS was out on Watson's 5th ball on 48th over!!

any ways. SS confirmed his place in the XI. NZ won without Vettori, which is a huge thing. So when he returns who gets dropped? Broom i am guessing. Seriously why is he in the team?? IDK much about him, but seem to me he sucks! Look at his stats. Hopkins guy should come in place of Oram (if he is injured)

Daniel Vettori coming back will be the only change I reckon, he'll come in for the injured Jacob Oram. Hopefully New Zealand get's the batting order sorted and moves both Styris and Broom up while pushing Franklin down to seven, maybe even eight with Vettori back.

Broom's a good player, he'll come right eventually.

Yeah, Franklin is a 7/8, not a number 5.
I don't mind Styris playing that finishing role, maybe move him up to 6.
Therefore Broom would have to fill the number 5 role.

Australian pace attack crumbled under pressure, I'm pretty sure all of them bat Johnson in a few years time will be nothing special, even though the likes of Bollinger and Harris have great records currently.

I have been saying for a month or so now, Styris should be in there ahead of all of Franklin, Broom and Oram, finally he plays and plays a blinder.

Users who are viewing this thread