Australia tour of West Indies March-April 2011/12

For some reason I am not a big fan of Samuels. He doesn't seem to understand his role in the team. He cant rotate the strike against good teams and just bogs the team down.
Am I wrong for putting Pollard at #3 in my team? Today was that kind of innings. He came in and batted slowly, got his eye in and was allowed to hit out at the end. Totally different then the opportunity he usually gets and that's hit out or get out. At #3 he would get a better opportunity to face more balls and build bigger innings like today.

Well it depends i guess. Samuels had a pretty decent 2011 after returning to the team after his ban.

No doubt he had a poor series here, but i reckon he is worst persisting with.Of course Sarwan is always around to replace him.

On Pollard well maybe in the future if the situation dictates it, he can come in @ # 3, but given his natural power hitting he suits the role of a # 6 finisher to perfection.

Once his batting keeps at this level or improves he could be the Windies version of Andrew Symonds and possibly bat @ # 5 on a regular.

----------

The first time in my cricket lifetime that i saw a Australia vs West Indies ODI series was back in the 1999 when that series ended 3-3 en route to AUS winning the 1999 world cup.

A lot of similarties in the results back then to that series i could recall personally. If that crazy crowd in Guyana didn't run onto the field, windies would have won that tied 5th odi and in this series, if Sammy/Roach didn't do a running between the wicket repeat of the Klusener/Donald fail in that infamous 1999 WC semi-final - the windies would have won 3-2 here.

Australia

Is their any death overs/power-play overs bowler in Australia anymore???...Geezz for me the biggest worry in this series was the death was the lack of sane bowling in this period.

Throughout the home season it was an issue. Lee throughout his glittering ODI career has always blown hot/cold as a death overs bowlers, but off late he is just horrible in the slog overs. This doesn't argue well for the T20 world-cup for him or the entire attack, since this has gotten beyond abysmal now.

Otherwise AUS have nun to worry about, just didn't play well enough at times, but are quiet clearly still the best ODI team on earth.

Looking ahead to T20s here and I still dont understand why Aaron Finch, Travis Birt and Brad Hogg isn't on this tour. Forrest and Bailey in a T20 team is cringe-worthy.

West Indies

As stated in previous posts, their team currently has the talent to be out of their 15+ year doldrums. Add Gayle, C"Paul, Sarwan, Ramdin, Simmons, Taylor, Rampaul, F Edwards to the team that played in this series and on paper only a full-strength AUS ODI team looks better.

I relaxed for a moment when Pollard was dismissed and the Windies were 7 down and requiring like 200 or something, but it was only for a moment. I knew Sammy and Russell wouldn't die wondering, but damn I didn't think they'd get that close. I'm glad Rampaul wasn't down at 10 to pick up where Russell left off. Hats off to Sammy for that innings, gotta feel for him.

Not that I wanted to watch us lose any games, but I was hoping for a 3-2 result in the ODIs with the Tests still to come. 2-2 should certainly give the Windies team and fans some confidence considering Aus hasn't lost an ODI series in 16 months nor have we lost a Test series in over 12 months either, some people seem to forget that, as is the high standard Australia is held to.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Windies go 2-0 in the T20's, I kinda feel like we're the underdogs given the way these bastards are tonking us all over the park :p

It's Sad for me to See, Player like Barath, Young Bravo and Old BRavo isnt really going on to make any Big Score in this series. I Really had Big hope for Dwyane Bravo, to put his Ipl experience into this ODI side, and make a Big impact.
J Charles Great expectation look positive, but needs to carry one
1st ODI 13.
2nd ODI 26
3rd ODI 45
4th ODI 37
5th ODI 0

A Barath Impress with his 2 matches
4th ODI 42
5th ODI 41

Young Bravo POOR series, needs to come back hard for Test and T20 and he is Capable of doing it, like what he did against Bang and India, after 2 series where he didnt score Big.
1st ODI 4
2nd ODI 16
3rd ODI 0
4th ODI 25
5th ODI 3

Dwayne Bravo I had alot of expectation from him, he disappointed me.
a Player of his class should of go one to make Big scores like past 50 Runs
toke up 6 Key wicket of the tournament, but was way to expensive, but still coming at 5 was looking to see him score runs.
1st ODI 32 | Bowled 3/58
2nd ODI 30 | Bowled 1/30
3rd ODI 13 | Bowled 0/30
4th ODI 0 | Bowled 2/47
5th ODI 19 | Bowled 0/40

For me Samuels Dont really Deserved to be in the 4th and 5th ODI, i would perfer seeing Dywane Smith he couldnt do Worst.

K Pollard Did great in the last Match, but the 4 Batsmen, CANNOT left it for Pollard to win matches, they needed to step up, Barath played good, but was under alot of perssure.
The TOP Run scorer of the Series Pollard, Played very well, but all the persure went on him
1st ODI 4
2nd ODI 47* | Bowled 0/18
3rd ODI 36 | Bowled 0/12
4th ODI 102 | Bowled 1 /16
5th ODI 33

C Baugh poor series, unfortunately Ramdin was injured.
1st ODI 0
2nd ODI 18*
3rd ODI 33
4th ODI 0*
5th ODI 13

Andre Russel is Great in the field and the bat.
started off bad with the ball, but may an impression later
1st ODI 1 | Bowled 0/21
2nd ODI DNB | Bowled 0/14
3rd ODI 37 |Bowled 0/28
4th ODI 34 | Bowled 2-34
5th ODI 41 | Bowled 4-61

Sammy for me was good in this series, he is critise left right and center. today he toke responsibility on his Shoulder, For a guy like him, who dont have Much amount of Talent than the above I mention, he Approach this Chase with GREAT confidence, of course people may come and say it's luck and all that, but Sammy seem to have been improving his Batting this series and have been Econ in the series.

his first match scored 35 off 28 and Bowled 8 Overs for 30 run @ 3.75RPO
2nd ODI Did not bat. but his bowling 1-19 8 Over @ 4.75
3rd ODI came in when West Indies was out of the game at 190-7.
Made 10 Run off 37 Bowled 5 Over 27-1 (5.40)
St.Lucia 4th ODI Scored 31 off 18 balls. Bowled 9 Overs 2- 42 (4.66)
5th ODI Scored 54 runs from 50 Balls and bowled 6 over 0-29 (4.83)
and he end this Series as the 2nd Highest Run Score for West Indies and 4th Overall @ 160 runs with 1 Inning Less than the Top 3. Only above him is K Pollard 222, M Hussey 174, G Bailey 172.

For Narine and Roach both did they Part, with the Ball and Bat and both end up with the TOP wicket taking bowler along with XJ Doherty @ 11.

Narine
Greatest Find for West Indies but seem Aussie is starting to read him.
1st ODI 0 | Bowled 1-24
2nd ODI DNB | Bowled 4-27
3rd ODI 10 | Bowled 3/32
4th ODI DNB | 1-21
5th ODI 7 | 2-55

and Roach After his inconsistency in the Past, he came back to West Indies with a Bang
1st ODI 1* | 2-33
2nd ODI DNB | 2-23
3rd ODI 9* |2-24
4th ODI DNB 2-75
5th ODI 2* | 3-53

West Indies T20 Sqaud look good, have alot of All rounder who can hit the ball hard. and keep the Game tight.
Pollard and Senior Bravo going IPL, who know Narine may also go this year.
For De Test So far the Opening Partnership from last Series is Really weak and I think thye should strength it. but Who? Gayle already rejected to play in the series, after the Board and the Region came together to insure he will play, unfortunely he Cannot play for West Indies due to Ipl contatc and english Contact later, so then After those contatc we will see what will happen, If Gayle going to sign the West Indies Contract which he Rejected which force West Indies selector to pick Sammy as Captain. well we will have to wait for October to see who will get contacts. so far Pollard, senior Bravo and Gayle all three dont wanna sign West Indies contact and they all wanted to play IPL.

So Bascially, Jamaica Prime minister, along with St Vincent one came together with Gayle and the Cricket to Solve the Problem, unfortunately Gayle cannot leave IPL or English Domestic because he sign the Contact by them that he is available to play for them, because he isnt playing for West Indies.
How much we would want Gayle, Lets move forward, we gotta to build a team with what we got, but people have Gayle and co in Mind alway want to play our Best players, but We Keep on losing all de time. It's something people dont see, this was the first series after a LOOOONNNGG time against Australia we nearly beat, After we end our 11 Year of been Beaten by Them.
Before this Series Australia was to walk over this West Indies Team 5-0, but it didn't happen.

TEST MATCH
so for the Test now We got Ramdin, Chanderpaul, R Rampal and F Edwards the old members. along with Darren Bravo,K Roach, K Edwards D Bishoo the rising talents.
With Darren Sammy as the Captain.
Narine heading to IPL Maybe so i wouldn't add him.

So de Test will likely be. in My view According to what we got. I would give K Edwards to open, Daren Bravo to keep his 3rd space. Drop both young openers and Add Barath with Edwards and Push D Sammy up the Order of the Batting.

5th Position
TWO Allrounders
N Deonarine have been doing well in the 4 day comeptation.
International Career Played 8 Test 370 Runs @ avg of 30.86. 2 50's Bowled 4 wickets @ 246 Runs. Poor Bowling . Avg batting performance in International.
but this year 4 Day competationg he score 547 @ an avg of 40.13 and he is also the Highest Run score of the tournament. and toke 16 wickts @ an avg of 17.75

also a next candidate is Assad Fudadin who is from Guyana Also impressive.
Who is the 2nd leading run scorer in the tournament.
FC Avg
Assad Fudadin | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

OLD MEMBERS 5th position
B Nash
yes Selector looking for a New talent, but According to de board, they will make who ever played FC will get to play for West Indies Test.
Nash have been doing well. 381 in 5 matches Top score of 206*. he can also Bowl his med pace. for an extra bowler. He could fill the place at number 5 to steady the boat with Chanderpaul. In case a Collapse.

People may say Sarwan, right now Sarwan havent been doing Well in FC matches, so far he played for Guyana 3 Matches his avg is 29.75.

1. K Edwards
2. A Barath
3. D Bravo
4. S Chanderpaul
5. Deonarine/Nash/Assad Fudadin
6.D Ramdin
7.D Sammy
8.D Bishoo
9. K Roach
10.R Rampal
11. F Edwards

So right now this is an even Balance Team. again we may say Sammy unbalancing this Team.
we got batsmen from 1- 6, when Sammy comes in it would be 5 Down, which mean The Top 5 Batsmen should of put in the work, why leave it to the Bottom 5?
for the Bowling we got 3 Pace Bowler which 3 type of Approach with 1 Spin.
4 Bowlers, plus having like what we always wanted 3 Pace bowlers in the Attack. Then Sammy, and one of the number 5 position could pitch in.
Hope Sammy take away what he did with the Bat and put it in the Test series and make some Run. People may have a Problem with Sammy all of us Do. remember I am not one of the greatest Fan of Sammy, i would of like to See Sarwan as Test Captain and Dywane Bravo as ODI captain, during Gayle Days. After Lara retire.
But as a West Indies Fan who Only follow West Indies Cricket, i don't follow anyone else cricket, I finall see good Sign Since That Pakistan Series. Sammy had one of the WORST team (except F Refier Team lol) in recent time of West indies Cricket, but each series something Positive is coming out, how much time we thing West Indies would of been demolished by India, Pakistan and now Australia, they are Fighting, they just need to continue and maybe develop into a good team, it's something I really didn't see from my Old senior Player, how much time We had the best T20 Team, Best Test Side, Best ODI on paper, yet we couldn't make that Strength on Paper look like strength on the field.
here we got a Weak team on paper, yet we giving team a fight.

By the way I talk to much, but we can see it in front of us, Yes we could of Said, west Indies Should of won the first 4 ODI. they had it to win. but we beat ourself in all 2 Defeats and that tie. Remember in the 2 defeat and that tie, where we came from to get close to the Targer unfortunately couldn't past over. how much time years ago west Indies are 80 without lost, to 180 All out. Or even 79-5 to get 220?

Anyway i dont know about other but i find a Very bright future for West Indies, its I just Hope BOTH yes Both i am not Blaming one party, that WICB and the Player dont kill West Indies Cricket, we all like to take side, but it's both to blame for what West Indies have become. C Loyd Team also had WICB against them, they were even BAN from playing for West Indies, but they are a Million time better team than Gayle and Co. But C Loyd team Put that aside when they play on the field and Win Games, without been paid alot of money, Today West Indies Contact is still alot of money in it.

Last edited:
I think that they will go with Kraig Brathwaite and Barath as openers with Kirk Edwards keeping his spot at #3 where he has done really well so far.

Johnson Charles, Narine, Pollard, Dwayne Bravo and Baugh should be left out of the team with Ramdin, Rampaul, Edwards, Brathwaite coming in. There is also doubt about Rampaul. He still hasn't played for T&T in this years 4 day competition and it will take allot for him to regain match fitness in time for the first test.

Also War I think Jerome Taylor is done for. He was in the BPL but didn't play a match because of injury. Hasn't represented Jamaica in any competition for over a year. His last match was on May 4th 2011 in the IPL. There hasn't been any info on him for a long time.

The only place in doubt will be the #6 spot. Seeing as someone in the loves Samuels I think he will get the nod over everyone else and he gives the WI a 2nd spin option.
Sarwan signed to play in England this year so I would let him go there and see how he does and if he stays fit. If he does well then they can recall him for the WI tour of England. If he came back he would be my option for #6 and that would really bolster the WI middle order.

West Indies have exceeded the expectations of cricket fans world over by turning the heat on Aussies in the recent 5-match ODI series... the fact that they were able to take matches deep into the 50 overs mark while chasing speaks volumes of the batting depth they have. It made for great cricket viewing. Local authorities declaring match day as holiday also was a shot in the arms of the players who regularly converted short rear-guard to full-fledged turn-around. At the end of the day, quality cricket has no replacement.

Useful all-rounders like Sammy and Russell have really making themselves count in both the departments and adding much needed depth to limited overs batting. Samuels the bowler was OK , but same thing can't be said about Samuels the batsman. Batting at one-drop, he needs to shoulder more responsibility while chasing or setting up the target.. you can't really leave it to power-hitters like Pollard, Russell or Sammy every time to take match deep.

After a wonderful time last year, Darren Bravo left us disappointed with lackluster performances. His usual position at one-drop or two-drop kept changing throughout so it didn't help either. But I think he's one for the future and WICB should persist with him in all formats.

I missed watching Rampaul and Bishoo too .. they earned respect world over by stupendous bowling last year since ICC CWC'11. Let's hope they are back among WI bowling ranks soon.

WICB has some weird selection policy for sure.. After decent turn-out in CWC'11, left-handed opener Devon Smith hasn't enjoyed selectors favor ever since. Same goes for Kirk Edwards, who had a pretty solid start to his international career.
On bowling front, Suleiman Benn is out too and so is Anthony Martin , who was playing till recently against India. They are not too keen to have Fidel Edwards playing in shorter forms , but picked Tino Best out of nowhere. Also Jerome Taylor doesn't seem to be anywhere near their radar any time soon.

WI are doing well without these regulars-until-recently and WICB may just be inclined to think that's a happy situation to be in, but you don't wanna lose such fine talent in their prime. I hope these guys get picked in future and do well for WI.

Well played Sammy! Too bad he ran out of partners at the end.

Is their any death overs/power-play overs bowler in Australia anymore???...Geezz for me the biggest worry in this series was the death was the lack of sane bowling in this period.

McDermott looks like an option, showed some good skills in the Big Bash and he was one of the most economical bowlers in the Ryobi cup this season.

I think that they will go with Kraig Brathwaite and Barath as openers with Kirk Edwards keeping his spot at #3 where he has done really well so far.

Johnson Charles, Narine, Pollard, Dwayne Bravo and Baugh should be left out of the team with Ramdin, Rampaul, Edwards, Brathwaite coming in. There is also doubt about Rampaul. He still hasn't played for T&T in this years 4 day competition and it will take allot for him to regain match fitness in time for the first test.

Also War I think Jerome Taylor is done for. He was in the BPL but didn't play a match because of injury. Hasn't represented Jamaica in any competition for over a year. His last match was on May 4th 2011 in the IPL. There hasn't been any info on him for a long time.

The only place in doubt will be the #6 spot. Seeing as someone in the loves Samuels I think he will get the nod over everyone else and he gives the WI a 2nd spin option.
Sarwan signed to play in England this year so I would let him go there and see how he does and if he stays fit. If he does well then they can recall him for the WI tour of England. If he came back he would be my option for #6 and that would really bolster the WI middle order.

Braithwaite seems so limited in his strokeplay although he is talented, he could struggle against AUS pacers, so in some way i would suggest Barath and Edwards.

Their seems to be a belief already that Narine will take up his IPL contract and miss the test series, but based on what i'm reading it still is a work in progress.

With regards to Taylor i believe he was in Jamaica's squad during the regional super50 squad last year but he didn't play. The last time i recall seeing him play was in some T20 tournament in Guyana last August.

If Rampaul isn't fit in time for the test series i think his trinidad compatriot Shanon Gabriel should get a call-up.

Otherwise AUS have nun to worry about, just didn't play well enough at times, but are quiet clearly still the best ODI team on earth.

Dunno who you're watching dude. Australia was pretty average over summer, they were just lucky India were even worse and SL were a bit hot and cold. And this tour has been pretty poor as well. Bangladesh and WI have shown in the last couple of weeks that in ODIs I think the world is coming closer together. Australia are #1, and yeah maybe gun to my head I nominate them as the best team, but it's all very close to me. Australia probably isn't the most talented team either, it's just because of their attitude and intensity that I'd pick them.

Looking ahead to T20s here and I still dont understand why Aaron Finch, Travis Birt and Brad Hogg isn't on this tour. Forrest and Bailey in a T20 team is cringe-worthy.

All about logistics really I would say. Flying 3 guys for 36 hrs to be there for 5 days doesn't seem like great value. Might as well try the ODI guys.

Wonder how the Aussie dressing room is though when Bailey comes into the ODI team on debut for the series, but straight after that he's the T20 captain, with Watson just a mere supporter again. Normally you'd have more of a squad turnover to lessen that blow, but this time it'll be all the same players just with a different captain for a week. Weird...

Dunno who you're watching dude. Australia was pretty average over summer, they were just lucky India were even worse and SL were a bit hot and cold. And this tour has been pretty poor as well. Bangladesh and WI have shown in the last couple of weeks that in ODIs I think the world is coming closer together. Australia are #1, and yeah maybe gun to my head I nominate them as the best team, but it's all very close to me. Australia probably isn't the most talented team either, it's just because of their attitude and intensity that I'd pick them.

Yes all true, but on paper I dont see any other team in world being better than a full-strength AUS ODI side, which would look something like this:

Warner
Watson
Clarke
M Hussey
Dussey
M Marsh
Wade
Christian
Lee
Doherty
Bollinger

Yes they may have been inconsistent over the last two series, but before that as you know very well, AUS had fairly convincing ODI series wins in S Africa and Sri Lanka.

Overall this is a continuation of the excellent ODI form AUS has shown since the 2007 world cup, in which their own blimps in the last 4 years was the 2008 & 2010 CB series defeats to India and Sri Lanka and failing to retain the world cup.

Which other ODI team in the world can boast such a record?.

sifter132 said:
All about logistics really I would say. Flying 3 guys for 36 hrs to be there for 5 days doesn't seem like great value. Might as well try the ODI guys

That doesn't make sense.

If this was a simple bilateral tour, then I would agree, but their is a T20 world-cup in 6 months. AUS have these two games and three versus Pakistan in Sri Lanka in August to finalize their best squad, which still has a lot of question marks.

With players like Marsh, White out of form - batsmen like Birt who did so well in the bigbash and Finch who has been a regular squad member - needs these games to cement their place.

Plus the Hogg/Doherty bowling partnership which will be a key component of the bowling attack in that world cup needs all these games to construct a partnership.

If the selectors are going to let flimsy logistics get in the way of that then this is disappointing.

Mitchell Starc although he is in the test squad alone, as Inverarity explained before, travelled with the ODI/T20 team on development basis. If they could do that with him, they certainly could have flew over Hogg, Birt and Finch since the start of the ODI series.

Pretty happy with the line-up for the first T20. Christian and Pattinson in, Forrest and Hilfy out.

Would've gone for Lyon over Doherty, but on the other hand, Doey's bowled all series and should know what to expect, and it's not like 4 overs here and there is going to prepare Lyon for the tests anyway.

Watson, M. Hussey and Pattinson missed our last T20's, so despite the absence of Birt and Finch, it's still pretty close to our best. Bailey mightn't be feeling the pressure as much now either.

Mathurin and Narine will be a challenge for the Aussies when they come out to bat, it will be very tough for them if the West Indies reach around 160.

Users who are viewing this thread